RedHeaded Step-Child XK BUILD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > RedHeaded Step-Child XK BUILD

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

RedHeaded Step-Child XK BUILD

I baught it in stock form at 36,000....2006 3.7L 4x4 QT1 Inferno Crystal Red

First I installed the Rocky road 2.25" lift.............

Then I installed "Limited" rear grab handles and color-matched them to be different than the norm...

Continued...............

Unread 07-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Hitch

Got my Mopar Hitch installed with color-matched bezel...............................

[/IMG]

I know, I know......it's the baby hitch, but thats all my Commander is rated for.
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Tinted turns...

Finally installed my new-to-me lights. They look good, but it's only part of my final plan.

Before headlights.....

During.....(I also installed the studs needed for the Matrix)....

After with smoked corner lights...........................

Continued........
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Matrix 4xgaurd w/hoop and lights

I installed my Matrix-4xGaurd w/hoop and fog lights today. Check out the pics......................

Continued..........
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

"d" shackels

Here is what I did to cure the D-shackle clanking on the Matrix. Others have used felt and that works as well, but I chose to use rubber chair feet cushion thingies....

That's it........It only cost me $2 at Home Depot and it works great!
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Hitch harness and bumper lights

So today I had a chance to finally install my hitch wireing harness and also the rear bumper lights...For now I wired them to light up with the tails/turn/brake lights, but later on I will swap them out to clear white lights for reverse assistance (I have not found the white ones I like, yet). You will see in the pics provided that I soldered on a "pig tail" to the hitch harness so i can just unplug it when ever I'd like. I didn't take pics of the actual install, 'cause I just followed the thread on the lights that has install pics. So, on to the pics.....

Here you can see the hitch harness with the pig tail and the light harness as well.

Here is a closer look...

Another look....

Lights.......

O.K., no night pics yet 'cause since I wired them into the hitch harness, I still have to program the computer so it knows I have a hitch. Therefor they will not light up yet.

PS: That license plate holder was a gift from my girl so, don't hate me 'cause you aint me. LOL!!!
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

New wheels/tires

New wheels and tires installed tonight, Man what a difference! I had to take some quick pics for someone (Hmmm?) so, they are not the best. Whenever I have time to clean up the Jeep and take nice pics, I'll replace these. But, for now here you go....."Someone".

Specs..........
MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET
Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17

First Thoughts............
The offset is perfect..puts the wheel just about flush with the flairs. There is plenty of clearance on backside to clear the dreaded bolt. Gives the Commander a muscular look from the front/rear and fills out the wheel wells nicely. The tires rub at full lock in the usual spot but, just barely. I think I can get away with just remolding the inner wells and not mess with the pinch weld, we will see later. These tires are not as aggressive as I wanted but, they are almost silent. If I roll up the windows and kick on the a/c, I cant here them at all. I do 95% on road daily driving so, tire silence is a plus. We will see how they perform next month at Uhwarrie.
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Custom low profile load bars

First, I had to make some new cross rails that were lower profile (so i can park in the garage at work). I used curtain alluminum rails that we use at work. Cut them to length and test fitted them..............

Then I sprayed them with undercoating/bed liner stuff and installed them in their resting area..........

I gained 1.25"s of lower profile....with the sport bars (including the mounts) it was a total of 4"s high.......with my home-mades it came out to be 2 3/4"s high.

Continued..............
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Rage roof cargo basket

Then it was time for the basket.......Originally i planned on widening and lengthening it because i wanted a little bigger basket but, I ended up just putting it together and seeing how it looked.........I'm glad I did, it fills the roof of the XK pretty well and I did'nt think I needed to mod it any.....Sometime in the future I will fab up a custom basket from scratch but, for now i'll rock the Rage......I picked this basket because of Sal's review and torture tests......Anywho, on to the pics.....

I still have to mount some rear facing lights and make a light bar for the front, but thats a differrent thread..................I'm out!!!!
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Rear cargo lights

Got some rack lights on today and ran some wires for front fogs/driving lights/and front roof lights. Still have to hook up the relays and switches but ran out of time, gotta take mom out for early dinner( it's mothers day). Here's the rear lights I installed................

Unread 07-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Random pics

Unread 07-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

That's about where it sits right now, more mods to come hopefully in the near future.
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Nice thread, Caleb. ur XK's look'n really good.
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
Dubtype1
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Carolina WK View Post
Nice thread, Caleb. ur XK's look'n really good.
Thanks AJ, little by little.
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

aside from the lift.. the tail light bumper install is probably one of my favorites on your build thread. I would like to do something like that for my WK in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.