Recommended Mods for Beginners WK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Recommended Mods for Beginners WK

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
calebmitchell
2007 WK 

Recommended Mods for Beginners WK

Hi all, it's my first time posting on the forums, but I've frequented them many times int he past couple years. I've had an '07 3.7L Grand Cherokee 4x4 Laredo for a couple years now, and I've recently become very interesting in upgrading some aspects on my vehicle. I've honestly spent a couple hours scouring the forums looking for past threads and posts addressing my questions, but nothing that definitively gave me the specific advice I was looking for. So thanks for being patient with me guys.

I've made a vague list of things I want to do to it, but before I even get started, I need to comprehend just how feasible it actually would to upgrade a "pedestrian" 3.7L. I live near the beach and would love to begin driving my Jeep out on the section where vehicles are allowed. Maybe you guys can help educate me and point me in the right direction. Also, I apologize if my knowledge-base regarding all of this seems "pedestrian" as well.

I was thinking about a 4-inch lift eventually, but wondering A) What kind of kit would give me everything I needed (best manu's etc.) as well as if it would even be a good idea with my 30-inch tires. I have Nitto Terra-Grapplers and while I love the tire, I'm wondering if it's not gonna be enough out on the beach sand or mild mud environments, especially at 30 inches. I would love bigger tires, but I unfortunately only have 10k miles on these TG's.

I also was thinking about a front skid plate (4xGuard.com looks to have some very nice plating) as well as a CAI eventually, maybe even a flowmaster for the ladies (joking), maybe even some new headlights and taillights, grill guard, and any other performance upgrades you guys can tell me about.

I'm looking for this to increase my vehicle's abilities off-road, as well as to get myself into the modding world a little. I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for all the info and time guys, cheers.

EDIT: Found this guy "Oducks" on the forums. He has an '05 that he modded up and put a detailed thread on how he modded his here and it looks great in my opinion. That's about where I want mine to end up. Besides the steep expenses, the main roadblock I see is my tire size and his. I've got 245's and he has 265's. But I'm looking for something similar to that.

Last edited by calebmitchell; 04-15-2013 at 04:12 PM..
calebmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Put some recovery points on the front and rear - air down the tires and hit the beach as it sits. Then decide more specifically what you want to be able to do with it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest spending another couple hours. Pretty much everything you're asking about has been addressed many times. I don't know why you say that you can't find 'specific advice'.

Just remember that the bigger tires you put on your Jeep the more they will drag the V6 power down. And if I was you I'd take it out on the beach the way it is. Good luck. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

With the 4" super lift, you can run a 285 tire (33.5). May want a few performance mods to help push that size with the 3.7. You could go with the OME HD lift which is 2.5"-3" lift and run a 265/285 tire (32.5-33.5). For recovery points: 4xguard makes a brush guard that has d-ring mounts, aspen creek make d-ring mounts that replace the stock tow hooks. 4xguard, and steel armadillo make a few different skid plate options and rock rails.
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
calebmitchell
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Put some recovery points on the front and rear - air down the tires and hit the beach as it sits. Then decide more specifically what you want to be able to do with it.
Good point, my buddies and I were thinking about at least just doing this as a starting point. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 99TJ View Post
I would suggest spending another couple hours. Pretty much everything you're asking about has been addressed many times. I don't know why you say that you can't find 'specific advice'.

Just remember that the bigger tires you put on your Jeep the more they will drag the V6 power down. And if I was you I'd take it out on the beach the way it is. Good luck. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
When I say specific advice, I mean that my limited knowledge of the subject matter, along with a few other factors having to do with my search criteria result in me finding information that is either above my head or not exactly what I was looking for. I will continue to search through the forums, but at some point I think a new thread is okay. And yeah I didn't want to go any bigger than 265 for that very reason (as well as mpg). Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk View Post
With the 4" super lift, you can run a 285 tire (33.5). May want a few performance mods to help push that size with the 3.7. You could go with the OME HD lift which is 2.5"-3" lift and run a 265/285 tire (32.5-33.5). For recovery points: 4xguard makes a brush guard that has d-ring mounts, aspen creek make d-ring mounts that replace the stock tow hooks. 4xguard, and steel armadillo make a few different skid plate options and rock rails.
Thank you! I will definitely check those out, probably order whatever I pick in a week or two. Should be a fairly easy install. Also, found this when looking up the OEM lift, it's 2.25 inches it looks to be a little too cheap doesn't it? The kit with adjustable shocks is $380 and the optional front strut shocks are $160.
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

That's the rocky road budget boost kit, OME comes with struts, shocks, & front and rear springs. They have it on their site you just have to look for it. But its in the mid $700 range
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Mainsail
2005 WK 

You don't need a lift to drive on the beach. Get the biggest tires that'll fit at the stock height and go with the recommendation to add recovery points. By bigger tire, think taller and wider, not just taller- you'll nee the floatation.

My jeep has 265/65-17s at stock height. The Pintlers push the wheels outboard about an inch on each side to clear the UCA bolt. As you can see, they fill the wheel-wells and don't stick out past the fenders.

EDIT to add: Make sure you hose out the undercarriage and wheel-wells thoroughly with clean water after a run on the beach. You'll want to pay attention to areas where sand can accumulate like the inner lip of the fenders. The salty sand will ruin your jeep in short order.

Unread 04-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
volcy
2005 WK 

Welcome! I recently put a RRO budget lift on mine along with some 265/70 tire and man what a difference. I put the before and after measurements in my post if you wanted to know what that combination yields.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/r...tires-1506263/
volcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
calebmitchell
2007 WK 

Mainsail: You just had to put pictures up of your black WK (which resembles mine without the add-ons) to make me even more anxious to get this started didn't you? haha All kidding aside, your WK looks great man. I grew up on the beach and have had my fair share of "belly duty" growing up, preventing rust and the like, so I will most definitely be keeping track of that, thanks for the heads up. And believe it or not, yours is one of the few WK's like mine that I've seen with 265s and not something higher. And from the looks of yours, they seem to be exactly what I'm going for. Your advice was most helpful.

volcy: THANK YOU for the info. Also, I see you're in Wilmy. I'll be in Carolina Beach all summer lifeguarding at Fort Fisher. Maybe I'll see you out on the North End sometime and take a look at your 5.7, it looks great by the way.
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Hey Caleb, i'll be in Ft Bragg in the Fall.. so if you need any help with those installs. Just shoot me a PM!
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #11
volcy
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebmitchell View Post
volcy: THANK YOU for the info. Also, I see you're in Wilmy. I'll be in Carolina Beach all summer lifeguarding at Fort Fisher. Maybe I'll see you out on the North End sometime and take a look at your 5.7, it looks great by the way.
I have my season pass so I will be out there quite a bit. I took it out stock with just some crappy all season tires and it did great so you should be fine if want to take it out stock. I know we have different 4x4 systems but I know plenty of QTI people who have done some crazy stuff.
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
calebmitchell
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcy View Post
I have my season pass so I will be out there quite a bit. I took it out stock with just some crappy all season tires and it did great so you should be fine if want to take it out stock. I know we have different 4x4 systems but I know plenty of QTI people who have done some crazy stuff.
It's much more comforting to hear that from someone who's actually been out to the North End and knows what it's like. I will say though, I spent all weekend out there and the tide is much more invasive this year it seems... They've got those dredging pipes out there and around marker 16, high tide goes all the way up to the pipe at the dune wall, so unless you want a bunch of rust in about a year and a half you can't even go all the way out to the point.

But anyways, I've been looking up some research on QT1 and QT2 swaps, you know anything about those? I see it can almost be a plug and play swap... But my QT1 model has absolutely no 4x4 controls in the cabin. It's all automated and I'm curious if the new transfer case requires them. And if it's even worth it to do the swap.
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
volcy
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebmitchell View Post
It's much more comforting to hear that from someone who's actually been out to the North End and knows what it's like. I will say though, I spent all weekend out there and the tide is much more invasive this year it seems... They've got those dredging pipes out there and around marker 16, high tide goes all the way up to the pipe at the dune wall, so unless you want a bunch of rust in about a year and a half you can't even go all the way out to the point.

But anyways, I've been looking up some research on QT1 and QT2 swaps, you know anything about those? I see it can almost be a plug and play swap... But my QT1 model has absolutely no 4x4 controls in the cabin. It's all automated and I'm curious if the new transfer case requires them. And if it's even worth it to do the swap.
Yeah that has always been a choke point but last year I remember that at high tide there was only about a car width of room to pass through. I was out a few weeks ago and saw they were dredging in front of marker 16, and it was low tide so I have no idea how far it would come up at high tide.

As far as a QT swap I haven't got a clue...sorry man. If you see me out at all feel free to stop by and say hey.
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

There has yet to be a successful transfer case swap. You'd have to find a salvaged 3.7l with QT-2 and use the PCM and t-case module.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.