Recommendations on buying a Commander? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Recommendations on buying a Commander?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 04-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
flagstaffjeeper

Recommendations on buying a Commander?

Hey all,

I have a friend who is interested in buying a 2005 or 2006 Commander. I have not frequented this part of the forum too often, and I have little knowledge regarding the Commander. I understand that my friend wants to use this vehicle as a daily driver, with some occasional light trail use. Thoughts, comments, and suggestions are all welcomed.

Regards,

Matt

Previous Jeep: 1981 CJ7, 4.2L, Muncie SM465, Dana 300 t/c, Dana 30 Front, AMC 20 Rear
flagstaffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
JeepCollector

Your friend won't find a 2005 Commander - the first year was 2006. For off-roading I would recommend the QuadraDrive II 4x4 system only available on the V8's. The next best would be the QuadraTrac II system (same 2-speed transfer case without electronic differentials in the axles). Engine, model, and options will have to be looked at for intended use - fuel mileage, towing, looks, and whatever. Tell them to go test drive what they think they might want first. Warning: if they try a loaded one they could end up liking the NAV radio, heated seats, and all the goodies!
JeepCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
reedjohnson

I agree with JeepCollector. I test drove a fully loaded Commander Limited and I bought one the next day! This Jeep is awesome, and if your friend chooses one they won't be disappointed. I can't comment on off-road driving yet but as an every day driver you wont be let down. The only down side to the Jeep is the gas milage, but from what I have seen it is on par with the Grand Cherokee and the Wrangler.

P.S. - Get the 5.7L HEMI for that extra power!
reedjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
TRCommander

I drive my Commander 80mi a day and it's one of the most comfortable and smoothest SUV's I ever driven. IT's got plenty of room and it's easy to reconfigure the seats. Everything in the Commander is very user friendly (except if your going to work on the engine). Gas mileage isn't great but it's compareable to the other SUV's in it's class.
If your friends is going to do light off-roading (which I don't know if there is such a thing) he could survive with the V6 quadra Trac I. This type of system doesn't offer 4Low but if he just going to be going through sand it's fine. However, if he's planning on mud and hills he's better off with the V8 and quadra Trac II system.
I've taken mine off-road about 8 times now and you'd be surprised how well it performs. I know I was. I haven't gone through any serious mud but in the sand and going up hills it's performed quit well. Anyways I love my Commander and I think your friend after test driving one will like this Jeep better than the Cherokee or Liberty.

Gone but not forgotten!
2000 Wrangler Sahara w/3" Teraflex lift, DT3000 shocks, warn winch (which I still have, I'm not completly insane), Teraflex QD, 33'' Dunlop mudrovers and ORD rock rails.
TRCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Chris05GrdCherk

It basically goes

Quadra-Trac I
Quadra-Trac II
Quadra-Drive II (which is the heavy duty 4x4 system)

I would recommend the latter unless all you need is a simple AWD-like system (Quadra-Trac I)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.