Recalls Blow. I need some help. GDE tune - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Recalls Blow. I need some help. GDE tune

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
boxboy5371
2007 WK 

Recalls Blow. I need some help. GDE tune

Ok so I just got a recall notice in the mail a couple days ago on the P73 final Drive control module. Yes i know there are a lot of threads on this. But my question is I have the GDE tune on the car now. Do i need to re-flash it to the factory tune? if i do how can i do it? with me switching from GDE to factory then back to GDE with anything mess up?

2007 WK CRD 95k

any input is great

thanks

boxboy5371 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
bersh
2008 WK 

I've gone back and forth with mine a number of times and it's no big deal.
bersh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

it is if u have a dpf delete lol
Unread 06-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
boxboy5371
2007 WK 

No i just have the ECO tune. But do I have to go back to the factory flash for them to do the recall?
boxboy5371 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

They do not need to touch the engine ecm for the recall, but just in case it is always better to flash back to stock before a dealer visit. If they decide to do a random update on your ecm and the tune is installed it will render the flash tool a paperweight.
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
crs524
2008 WK 

P73 recall versus GDE

I just had mine done and P73 is a software update to correct N23 (service 4wd) and it reprogram Final Drive Control Module only.
Nothing to do with engine software.

Pierre
crs524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
SSF556
2008 WK 

Why do it....a lot cheaper and less headaches to just pull up the parking brake.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #8
plunix
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDE View Post
They do not need to touch the engine ecm for the recall, but just in case it is always better to flash back to stock before a dealer visit. If they decide to do a random update on your ecm and the tune is installed it will render the flash tool a paperweight.
Can you explain why this is?
Unread Today, 11:45 AM   #9
crs524
2008 WK 

The P73 is a software update for the Final Drive Control Module only. If they waste time ( which I doubt time is money) reprogramming the engine ECM then when you return home just use your flash tool to put in your GDE tune. et voila
crs524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:01 PM   #10
bersh
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs524 View Post
The P73 is a software update for the Final Drive Control Module only. If they waste time ( which I doubt time is money) reprogramming the engine ECM then when you return home just use your flash tool to put in your GDE tune. et voila
Considering it was GDE themselves that posted the message, I assume there's more to it than that.

I would think that worst case you'd just have to download the stock tune and send it to GDE and have them tweak it again.
bersh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:03 PM   #11
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

My understanding is that the first time you run the flashscan to read your OEM tune, it locks the tool to your VIN. If the dealer reflashes your ECU to factory while your OEM tune is still inside the flashtool, you won't be able to load your GDE tune back into your ECU because the tool won't recognize your ECU anymore.

I may be wrong about this, but I know that my Hypertech tuner (which was mated to my old ZJ) became a paperweight when the ZJ was destroyed in a crash while the perf tune was still loaded in the ECU. Hypertech told me they could "recover" the programmer tool (set it back to "new" condition) for $200. I gave to a freidn who's JZ was still on the road, and let him pay the $200.

My advice:

do what GDE says. He IS Da Man. Never take your WK to a dealer with an aftermarket tune loaded in the ECU. (and if you have DPF deleted, never take it in NO MATTER WHAT!)

Fortunately for me, I found an independent shop with all the tools/scanners needed, and they totally dig my CRD with the hot tune loaded ;-}
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 04:18 PM   #12
plunix
2008 WK 

Couldn't I load the STOCK TUNE when I drop it off at the shop, and then load the HOT TUNE w/ DPF DELETE when I leave again?

I don't think enabling DPF regeneration, temporarily, will be a big deal if its removed. Might throw a code temporarily, but that's it, right?
plunix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.