Recall... took in and now issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Recall... took in and now issue

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
2008Me
2008 WK 

Recall... took in and now issue

I've got a 2008 wk 4.7 flex fuel. I got a letter from the dealership saying that they had to update the software on my 4wd system. I took it in and shortly after when I get in and start it up for a split second the "service 4wd system" indicator come on and goes off. Any idea as to why? This is my wife's jeep. It just recently hit 100k miles and I'm getting everything in order to do the 102k services.

2008Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look in the forum for he N23 recall " no 4wd low". It seems to be a problem with the recall flash and the transfer case actuator failing right after. Good luck. I just had my wife's replaced under warranty.
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
xjtrailrider

Welcome to the "worst recall in history" club
xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
2008Me
2008 WK 

Great! I guess I should have never had it done... I finally got a vehicle that I will openly admit that I've never had a single problem with and no complaints. Should I check to see if my 4low works?
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
tolo
2007 XK Commander 

Same exact thing happened to me. No issues, took in, issues. Just started a new thread and then noticed yours. Mine is a 2007 4.7 flex with QTII.
tolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
xjtrailrider

Chrysler will make it right, be persistent.
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
Duh

If the recall instructions arent followed that happens. The tech has to clear a specific code 3 times in a row or the code will not go away (basically). None of the techs do it. None of them read it. They just see update fdcm and go to town. No comebacks for me
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
Duh

5. For vehicles with active Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) “C140F” perform the following procedure:
a. Turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and remove the key from the ignition switch.
b. Insert the key into the ignition switch and place the ignition in the “RUN” position.
c. Navigate to and select the FDCM “DTC” tab.
d. Clear all stored and active DTC’s for a second time. e. Clear all stored DTC’s for a third time.
NOTE: If DTC C140F is still present and active, additional diagnosis is required.

Thats the code that no one clears out. Techs are lazy with these programming recalls.
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #9
Duh

Note line e. The tech has to do it three times. And yes, it really does take three times.
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
2008Me
2008 WK 

Thanks for the replys I read threw the 12 page thread here about this last night. What a mess. I hate going to the stealership but looks like I'm going. One more question though..... Wouldn't disconnecting the battery clear the code?
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Me
Thanks for the replys I read threw the 12 page thread here about this last night. What a mess. I hate going to the stealership but looks like I'm going. One more question though..... Wouldn't disconnecting the battery clear the code?
Nope. Old cars yes, newer no.
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
xjtrailrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
5. For vehicles with active Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) “C140F” perform the following procedure:
a. Turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and remove the key from the ignition switch.
b. Insert the key into the ignition switch and place the ignition in the “RUN” position.
c. Navigate to and select the FDCM “DTC” tab.
d. Clear all stored and active DTC’s for a second time. e. Clear all stored DTC’s for a third time.
NOTE: If DTC C140F is still present and active, additional diagnosis is required.

Thats the code that no one clears out. Techs are lazy with these programming recalls.
Quote:
Note line e. The tech has to do it three times. And yes, it really does take three times.
Great info! I am a mechanic as well(I rebuild diesel electric locomotives) and following procedure is very important. I was taught this at Nashville Auto-Diesel way back in the day. I watched the tech do my recall. He hooked up the unit that reflash's the computer and just walked away. They never tried to put the Jeep in 4-low when he was done to verify that 4-low worked.

I have the lifetime power-train warranty on my XK and my JK and I will say that my dealer has stood behind this warranty very good. Lets hope this holds up. I'm dropping mine off on Tuesday to get the issue fixed.
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
2008Me
2008 WK 

Quote:
Nope. Old cars yes, newer no.
Figures off to the dealer I go

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.