recall 2005 to 2010 Grand Cherokees, 2006 to 2010 Commanders - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > recall 2005 to 2010 Grand Cherokees, 2006 to 2010 Commanders

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #121
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

I think I was the first one to report the "where in the heck did my 4-low go" post-recall flash, in this thread.

I am happy to report that this morning they performed it again, following the PDF file to the letter.

All transfer case codes are now clear and it functions as it did before the recall was performed.

I did take a printout of the PDF with me to the dealership, just in case.

I also mentioned that according to many JeepForum.com members this is NOT an isolated incident.

The service manager as much as said that although he *had to* say that he was positive the technician must have followed the procedure properly the first time, he would highlight step 15 and reinforce that part to the tech before reflashing it.

A special thanks to R32R1 for putting up the link to the PDF file.

My Jeep is a Jeep again!

Here's a repost of the PDF link, just because.

Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall N23 / NHTSA 13V-175
Reprogram Final Drive Controller Module

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #122
R32R1
2006 WK 

Anytime, glad I could help!
R32R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #123
RockinR
2006 XK Commander 

Went back to my dealer yesterday for recurring "Service 4wd System" message and no 4Lo engagement after 2 previous visits. After a 3rd re-flash, they told me they were going to replace the T-Case Actuator under warrenty. They were going to order one, to arrive today. I went in today, and they told me that Chrysler had cancelled the order. They said that since the recall is new they are still working through these problems. Apparently, Chrysler has identified a problem with defective actuators, and they don't want any more of them out, which is why they cancelled mine. They are underway to resolve the problem. I was told that they will replace mine under warrenty as soon as Chrysler gets the new actuator in production. Meantime, after another re-flash yesterday, my system is operating O.K. Any thoughts? Is this fact or bullcrap? By the way, I did take in that pdf file today, and the service manager seemed up to date with it, including the recommendation to try the procedure 3 times before further actions. Also, my 4Lo is working fine since the yesterday visit, so still baffled about need for T-Case actuator???

Last edited by RockinR; 08-28-2013 at 12:16 AM..
RockinR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #124
DirtAddsHP
2007 WK 

Peter Sakai with Customspooling assured me that i can take the Jeep in with the custom tune and it shouldnt be an issue. He states that if they need to reflash the custom tune shouldnt stop them from doing that... though i have a DPF'less tune so i may have a check engine light if they reflash but it should be able to drive home and okay till i can get it reflashed.

Has anyone else gone to the dealer with a custom tune with or without issues?
DirtAddsHP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:34 AM   #125
RockinR
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinR View Post
Went back to my dealer yesterday for recurring "Service 4wd System" message and no 4Lo engagement after 2 previous visits. After a 3rd re-flash, they told me they were going to replace the T-Case Actuator under warrenty. They were going to order one, to arrive today. I went in today, and they told me that Chrysler had cancelled the order. They said that since the recall is new they are still working through these problems. Apparently, Chrysler has identified a problem with defective actuators, and they don't want any more of them out, which is why they cancelled mine. They are underway to resolve the problem. I was told that they will replace mine under warrenty as soon as Chrysler gets the new actuator in production. Meantime, after another re-flash yesterday, my system is operating O.K. Any thoughts? Is this fact or bullcrap? By the way, I did take in that pdf file today, and the service manager seemed up to date with it, including the recommendation to try the procedure 3 times before further actions. Also, my 4Lo is working fine since the yesterday visit, so still baffled about need for T-Case actuator???
I talked to my dealer today. They told me that the transfer case actuator is on order, but back ordered, that it may take a month to come in. They will keep me updated bi-weekly. I am trying to get across the fact that this re-flash isn't the cure. Jeep has identified a problem with the t-case actuators. Remember, the recall said the t-case could possibly lose power and shift the t-case into neutral. If you have the code c140, and are getting the service 4wd message, and your jeep won't shift into 4lo, your Jeep may roll on its own. It is becoming an actuator flaw.
photo0260.jpg  
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:55 AM   #126
RockinR
2006 XK Commander 

Had my Commander reflashed 3 times. Last time it lasted 1 day. My dealer is ordering me a new t-case actuator. They told me today that Jeep has identified the actuators as defective. My new actuator will be replaced under warrenty. But, it is on back order, and may take a while to come in. Obviously, the re-flash wasn't a good fix. The t-case actuators are defective, which is why they could lose power, and shift into neutral. My dealer ordered the existing actuator earlier this week. It was cancelled by Chrysler. My dealer said that Chrysler does not want any more defective actuators on the street!!!
photo0260.jpg  
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #127
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Had my Commander reflashed 3 times. Last time it lasted 1 day. My dealer is ordering me a new t-case actuator. They told me today that Jeep has identified the actuators as defective. My new actuator will be replaced under warrenty. But, it is on back order, and may take a while to come in. Obviously, the re-flash wasn't a good fix. The t-case actuators are defective, which is why they could lose power, and shift into neutral. My dealer ordered the existing actuator earlier this week. It was cancelled by Chrysler. My dealer said that Chrysler does not want any more defective actuators on the street!!!
If I understand you correctly this (actuator) is the actual problem? not the cracked boards or is yours just an isolated incident?

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #128
colinzj
2006 WK 

I think your dealer's making things up. If the transfer case actuator (shift motor) loses power, it can't move and will be stuck in whatever mode it was previously in; that's 4 hi, in most cases. It also has no power when you're parked, or when you pull the battery to store the vehicle or change the battery.

The transfer case going into neutral requires the shift motor to have power. That's why it's only an issue with remote start or if you're starting with your foot off the brake.

Basically your dealer's telling you you're going to chop your arm off with an unplugged circular saw that has no blade.
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #129
bmac13579
2007 WK 

So I went back to the dealer today to try and get the 'Service 4WD System' fixed.
Pulled into the parking lot, went out of my car, and dropped my iPod and it cracked.
Happy Saturday.
But the service manager agreed that the recall wasn't performed correctly so they re-reflashed the transfer case and it seems to be working fine now.
Hopefully it stays working.
2007 WK - Silver WK Club Member #71, 4.7L V8, 5 spd Auto, Autobot Decal (grfxedge.com), Aspen Creek Front Tow Shackles, Factory Tow Hitch
Check out more pictures and info here: www.mywk.tumblr.com
bmac13579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #130
R32R1
2006 WK 

People still use iPods? lol
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #131
RockinR
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
If I understand you correctly this (actuator) is the actual problem? not the cracked boards or is yours just an isolated incident?
I don't know who to believe anymore. I am starting to think that my dealer is clueless.
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #132
RockinR
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac13579 View Post
So I went back to the dealer today to try and get the 'Service 4WD System' fixed.
Pulled into the parking lot, went out of my car, and dropped my iPod and it cracked.
Happy Saturday.
But the service manager agreed that the recall wasn't performed correctly so they re-reflashed the transfer case and it seems to be working fine now.
Hopefully it stays working.
How do you tell a service manager that his shop is doing the recall wrong? My service manager acts like I am the one who is wrong.
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #133
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
I don't know who to believe anymore. I am starting to think that my dealer is clueless.
Ha, I know what you mean.
But at least it all works now!

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #134
RockinR
2006 XK Commander 

I guess my faulty actuator may be an isolated incident, good thing is it is covered by Chryslers 100,000 mile drive train warrenty.
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #135
R32R1
2006 WK 

Quote:
How do you tell a service manager that his shop is doing the recall wrong? My service manager acts like I am the one who is wrong.
Bring the PDF and have them show you step-by-step that they are doing it 'right'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.