recall 2005 to 2010 Grand Cherokees, 2006 to 2010 Commanders - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > recall 2005 to 2010 Grand Cherokees, 2006 to 2010 Commanders

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 05-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #31
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevra View Post
So we can just call the dealer and provide our vin and they should know if it needs the update or not?
That's what I did ... and when I spoke with theme they seemed to be aware of the issue.

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #32
katekebo

From
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/bu...ler.html?_r=1&

This part left me speechless.
Quote:
The automaker first learned of the issue almost 16 months ago ... There have been 26 accidents and two injuries apparently related to the defect ... Chrysler said that last December it finished developing new software that it hoped would correct the problem. In March, it completed testing the fix, but it wasn’t until this month that the automaker concluded a recall was necessary.
Wow, if this is true Chrysler should be sued for criminal negligence. Waiting for 5 months after finding the solution to initiate the recall is completely unacceptable.
katekebo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #33
jamie1131
2006 WK 

NHTSA won't allow you to initiate a recall until you have a proven fix in place, these things take time!
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #34
LouC
2007 WK 

In the meantime they could have told people to use the parking brake if they were using the remote starter.
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #35
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac13579 View Post
Way to go Dasko. Thanks for ruining it for all of us. This is why we can't have nice things. xD!!

But seriously, I hope you're okay.
I personally don't jump into recalls until they have been tried and proven and until I sense that I really need them.

Handbrakes on a WK are nothing to shout about. When you have awesome 4 wheel disk brakes, it really limits what they can do with a hand brake. Usually it consists of some tiny shoe type brakes inside a hidden drum on the rear wheels. That's the way it was on my 2000 GC.... I have not yet taken my 07 brakes apart to see.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #36
jediknight
2008 WK 

after trying it I can confirm that when your on drive and idling the use parking brake will prevent the vehicle from moving. Of course as soon as you apply gaz the torque will defeat the parking brake. But the issue here is the neutral on tcase which allow the vehicle moving by gravity... Isn't it the purpose of a parking brake ?
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #37
3GROC

so I guess I am correct in assuming that this recall will not include the whole [P][R][N][D] issue.....
3GROC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #38
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Or possibly be causing some of the "service 4WD system" messages...
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #39
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Is there anywhere where I can search my VIN to see if any recalls affected my vehicle? Or should I just call the dealership.

I searched on safecar.gov and all I was able to find were 3 vehicle complaints and that's it. No recall's.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #40
jamie1131
2006 WK 

Go to jeep.com, click on the "owner" tab and look at the lower left corner of the web page. You can enter your VIN there. I don't think this particular recall is on there yet though.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #41
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1131 View Post
Go to jeep.com, click on the "owner" tab and look at the lower left corner of the web page. You can enter your VIN there. I don't think this particular recall is on there yet though.
Hmm... doesn't seem to want to work for me. I am also stuck in an infinite loop of trying to log-in to the owners site and then jeep is saying I need to update my password. I update it, then log in and have to update my password again.

I guess with the recall news, everyone is bombarding the Jeep site and its not working correctly...??? Jeep Cares?
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #42
JeepCK
2009 WK 

Anyone else have any luck with looking up recalls via their VIN? Tried in both Firefox and IE and no bueno.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #43
JeepCares

Quote:
That is correct. The recall has not been officially launched.
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #44
kc2mrg
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
NHTSA won't allow you to initiate a recall until you have a proven fix in place, these things take time!
Maybe that's why the airbag recall on my 04 still has no fix yet... apparently they randomly deploy driving down the road without any warning
Superchips 3875 Flashpaq

West Virginia Jeep Club member
JEEPINWV.COM
kc2mrg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #45
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2mrg

Maybe that's why the airbag recall on my 04 still has no fix yet... apparently they randomly deploy driving down the road without any warning
eeeewww scary !!! :\

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.