Rec Nav Radio Screen Blank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rec Nav Radio Screen Blank

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-18-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
tremolo
2006 WK 

Rec Nav Radio Screen Blank

I have a 06 Cherokee with the REC navigation radio and today i started up the car and the screen was blank. The only think that worked was the power/volume knob and the 1-6 preset buttons. I shut the car off and turned it back on and it worked fine for about 10 minutes then went blank again. On my way to work today it was fine. When i left work it was about 25 degrees out and its not working. This is the only thing i can think of that has changed since i last drove the car. Anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks for the help

Vince

tremolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
KarpyDiem
2005 WK 

Been a long time, but I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found anything out on this?
KarpyDiem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
ChanWK
2005 WK 

I had mine replaced.
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
KarpyDiem
2005 WK 

That's an almost $1600 dollar piece of equipment though, isn't it?
KarpyDiem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
ChanWK
2005 WK 

Yes but I just bought my jeep when my screen broke so he replaced it. You could try to buy a used one like my mechanic did for me. Or you could try going aftermarket
ChanWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
leejeepuk

same problem exactly here too,

i have got the same problem here also, no steering column controls either except volume,

anyone had a fix to this problem or is it a new head unit?

thanks
leejeepuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
BigRick
2008 WK 

I had a similar issue w/ my 08' RER. Not sure if this applies to the REC but the quick answer is that I needed to perform an update to the unit's software. Took some time and research but in the end I burned a CD and loaded it into the radio and it's been fine ever since. I had used mofv.com which doesn't seem to be working today (maybe it's off line now..) but generally search for REC update, find out what version you have and go from there. Wish I had more details for you but this will get you started...
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Ben824
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You are one of many with this exact same problem. I swapped an RHR MyGig radio into ours and love it. You could explore that route or find a used replacement in working condition.
Ben824 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
darot

Fellas, there is a chip in there that can only be repaired by a special machine. There is only one company with the contract to repair these radios and it will cost you about $500 bucks plus or minus a hundred to get a refurbished one with a 1 yr warrenty plus your broken radio. I did this and about 1.2 yrs later same problem.

The nav is a pos so I highly recommend junking it and getting an aftermarket system. I went with a sony from crutchfield and its a bummer to give up the integrated u connect for the aftermarket but well worth the nav upgrade (in motion control as well). The new phone bluetooth does sound better as well. Everything else I was able to keep and use, rear dvd and amp, etc.

I did not hook the sat radio back up as sony wanted me to run their own antenna.

Good luck, I recommend getting one without full touch screen. I do not like changing channels or volume with the touch screen.
darot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

I might have some insight. I find that when my GPS location is off from the map, the NAV unit resets. Sometimes this takes many attempts. After about 5 screen flashes, it gives up and stays blank. Luckily this doesn't happen too often.

Do others' experiences match this?
Contrabassoon86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
skyman87
2005 WK 

Mine was doing the same thing. Chrysler replaced it for about $650. Wanted to keep the stock rec due to compatibility problems with the rear seat entertainment system. All the after market stereos wouldn't work with the DVD system, or so I was told.
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

I have the latest map disc which also has a new firmware for the REC. A new firmware could possibly fix these issues. If anyone is interested, PM me
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarpyDiem View Post
That's an almost $1600 dollar piece of equipment though, isn't it?
I got mine for $490 after my original was blank for 6 months and would only work when below freezing outside when I went snowboarding.
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
98jgc
2005 WK 

before u swap make sure the light stalk is not causing the issue
98jgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
leejeepuk

light stalk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98jgc View Post
before u swap make sure the light stalk is not causing the issue
how do you mean with the light stalk? ta
leejeepuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.