Rear Swaybar bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rear Swaybar bolt

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
wkorbust

Rear Swaybar bolt

I was stripping parts off my undercarriage to take care of some rust and POR-15 the underside and one of these parts was the Addco rear swaybar, which rust has completely eaten off the paint.

As Murphy would have it, 3 of the 4 bolts came out without any problem, but the top bolt on the driver side bracket decided it had enough and sheared off not 3 twists in to removing it. For anyone not familiar with this part, I can't use a bolt extractor because there is not enough room due to the fuel tank being right there.

Open to any suggestions. Right now the jeep is still jacked up with the rear wheels off while I figure this out. I don't have an air chisel, but have been debating on that route to get one and just knock the welded nut off the frame. Not sure if that would be easier, or harder than just dropping the fuel tank to use a bolt extractor.

wkorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I had the same problem and punched out the nut and put new bolt and regular nut on. My bolt was on the bottom so it was easy to get a wrench on.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
wkorbust

What did you use to do the punching?
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I used a chisel. Only required a few good hits, they are not welded on very well.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
wkorbust

Mine must be welded on more thoroughly. I hit that nut from every angle I could with a punch and sledge hammer and all I got a sore shoulder and a dented nut (on the jeep!)

Round two tomorrow...
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
wkorbust

Victory! Bigger chisel and even bigger hammer. I had gotten to the point where I started to consider removing the spring from the suspension to get a better angle and "pop".

Now on to the point of my project - POR15

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.