Rear overload spring for the rear of the WK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rear overload spring for the rear of the WK?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
suzieque
2008 WK 

Rear overload spring for the rear of the WK?

I had added Roadmaster overload springs to my Durango, it was a nice system kept the truck more level, than the stock leaf springs while towing. It also limited bounce when going over bumps when towing.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't use leaf springs and tends to squat more than I like when hooked up. Is there an aftermarket spring overload system compatible with the Jeep Grand Cherokee?

suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Spider-One
2008 WK 

I've heard of guys using air bags, but not much else.
Unread 03-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
JMorash
2005 WK 

Coil-Rite air helper springs. Made by firestone, very durable, adds lift, imroves ride quality and such.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorash View Post
Coil-Rite air helper springs. Made by firestone, very durable, adds lift, imroves ride quality and such.
thanks, I will check on those too!

I also found these
http://www.airliftcompany.com/online_catalog.html

I'm concerned about affecting the stock ride height and the stock ride stiffness when not towing. I liked the Roadmaster because they really didn't affect anything until a load was applied to the back.
Unread 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
suzieque
2008 WK 

here is a website for the coil-rite

http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/riderite/rrkit/

they seem to be the same cost as the airlift product.
Unread 03-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
CanDieselJeep
2008 WK 

I just installed a set of AirLift brand airbags in our Jeep on Saturday! Not the easiest process but anyone with some mechanical knowledge should be able to handle it. I'm a license mechanic myself! I drove it with the bags aired up to max pressure, rides a little stiff, aired them down to the recommended 5 psi. Could not notice any difference from stock. Had a set of the firestone airbags on an old chevy and thought I would try a set of these since I don't want to bag out the springs while hauling 3 quads and gear when the boys and I head out for a day of muddin! Time will tell with this set but for the cost of the kit, I hope they work out. Only cost $105 Can with tax!
CanDieselJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanDieselJeep View Post
I just installed a set of AirLift brand airbags in our Jeep on Saturday! Not the easiest process but anyone with some mechanical knowledge should be able to handle it. I'm a license mechanic myself! I drove it with the bags aired up to max pressure, rides a little stiff, aired them down to the recommended 5 psi. Could not notice any difference from stock. Had a set of the firestone airbags on an old chevy and thought I would try a set of these since I don't want to bag out the springs while hauling 3 quads and gear when the boys and I head out for a day of muddin! Time will tell with this set but for the cost of the kit, I hope they work out. Only cost $105 Can with tax!
thanks for info candieseljeep. The instructions for the airlift brand suggested the rear springs had to be removed to install, while the firestone airbag showed leaving the rear springs in place and then installing and that sounded easier.

Did you notice any difference in quality between the airlift and the firestone airbags?
Unread 03-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
anywaytothetop
2006 WK 

I have the Firestone airbags and love them. If you tow anything you will like them too. No problems with them for the last 2 years.
anywaytothetop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
CanDieselJeep
2008 WK 

It is tough to compare because the firestones I had in my old truck were like mini tractor trailer air bags and the jeep ones go right up inside the rear springs. They are a totally diiferent design. The Firestones and airlift are virtually the same. It is very is to remove the rear springs on these units. All you really need is a good floor jack and some taller jack stands. You need to remove the springs with the airlift kit because you must drill a hole in the bottolm spring perch for the air line and nipple coming out of the bottom of the airbag.
CanDieselJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.