Rear ended this morning! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rear ended this morning!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
WKSchaefer

Rear ended this morning!

So I rarely make it to the forums to lurk around unless one of the following has occurred:

1. Jeep makes funny noises - search forums for fix.
2. Dealership seems sketchy - search forums for fix
3. Get in an accident - search forums for fun stuff

Of the three events above and by the title of this post - you can imagine that #3 happened this morning. If anyone is interested, the accident happened on 267 E - Toll Road heading into DC this morning.

So - I'm not sure if you can see the picture or not (since I don't have 25 posts yet). But, I'll be taking the trusty Jeep to the auto body for an estimate this afternoon. My questions(s) for WK owners - I'm looking for a simple rear bumper (aftermarket replacement) or someone that can make me a simple "off road" style bumper. I'm planning on getting a tow hitch and would like to incorporate that as well. I guess my real question is, can I use the my claim to find something "cooler" within the amount they will give ($ TBD).

Thanks in advance,
Erin S.

WKSchaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
GrouchyTim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You most certainly can use the check they cut you for a cooler bumper or for a factory replacement. However if a cooler bumper exceeds the amount of the claim check the difference is to be covered by you. The estimate is for the factory replacement of a bumper and substructure with paint if necessary I'm guessing. But if you want a cool bumper made custom for you hit me up. I have a guy that makes some really good off road accessories. He may have time to make a custom bumper for you. It's in Hampton Roads though. PM me if you are serious about it.
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
WKSchaefer

Yeah, I got that part clear. I guess more specifically, does anyone know of a company that sells aftermarket rear bumpers for the WK? I'm mostly seeing stuff for older JK's, etc online... I'm sure your buddy does great work, I guess I'm just wondering what kind of "bolt on" type bumpers there are available... if any for the WK
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
CraigWK
2005 WK 

Only rear bumper I am aware of on the market for the WK is this one from saguaro:
WK Off-Road Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier [S4CWK007.00] : Saguaro 4x Components.com| Bumpers | Tire Carriers | Rock Sliders | Jeep Components
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
WKSchaefer

That's almost exactly what I'm looking for. Matte black, something tough looking - BUT without the spare tire arm extension.

Anyone?

Erin S.
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

that bumper is sweet

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
that bumper is sweet
heh, yeah - and EXPENSIVE (difference of about 700 bucks)
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
manyjeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKSchaefer View Post
That's almost exactly what I'm looking for. Matte black, something tough looking - BUT without the spare tire arm extension.

Anyone?

Erin S.
you could ask saguaro to make it without the tire carrier, they are pretty nice people and are willing to work with you
manyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
CraigWK
2005 WK 

True statement for sure! Just call them. Saguaro is really nice team of folks that will work with you. Each piece is custom built, so they can tweak for you as needed. Granted, once you step up the tire size, you are limited to where you can put your tire...I'd do almost anything to get a rear tire carrier like this one as opposed to keeping it in the trunk.
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
WKSchaefer

So... On my lunch break I decided to go see the nice folks at the Jeep Dealership/auto body. I spoke with the guy shops estimator/adjuster (George), explained that I'm in the market for tires and also need a claim on my bumper as I was hit this morning.

I'm talking with George and ask him about ordering aftermarket from them... long story short, I explain that I'm looking to replace the rear and front (eventually) bumper and it he thinks I'll be able to use the insurance claim for that.

He states that it shouldn't be an issue and proceeds to quote me the following (all OEM replacements thus far):

- Rear Bumper cover w/o towing - $275
- Rear Step Pad - $25
- Rear sub-frame - $582
- Alignment - $89

Body Labor - 7.6 hrs. @ $40 = $304
Paint Labor - 3.9 @ $40 = $156
Paint Supplies - 3.9 @ $26 = 101

Grand Total w/ Sales tax = $1600.11 (small charges for fees, etc added in at the end)

Granted, I will still need to wait for "the other guy's" insurance company to come take a look at the estimate.

According to "George" the estimator at the auto body - he is not sure that the sub-frame will need to be replaced. He claims that he added it in case it needs to be done but there is minimal damage. They will preform an alignment prior to the work and if it's not needed I can use that "additional" money for new tires, etc (assuming that "the other guy's" insurance adjuster also provides compensation for the sub-frame).

Thoughts?

My Jeep is currently stock...

Wants/Needs:
- New Tires
- Front/Rear tow hooks - and/or brush guards
- tow hitch

*No lift yet until I pay it off
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
WKSchaefer

@Craig and manyjeeps -

Interesting, I didn't think to even ask them. In fact, I just found out about their company today. It's a bit out of my price range with the tire arm, I wouldn't even imagine what they would charge without it... solid looking work though, just a bit out of my budget and ability (no lift, no need).

Almost to picture posting time...
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
CraigWK
2005 WK 

For less than the cost of replacing the stock tires @ discount tire, I was able to order the OME heavy duty suspension kit AND buy a set of 5 JK rims with nearly new mud terrain tires. Total cost, installed myself, with .25" spacers and a lifetime alignment at firestone, was less than $1300. Biggest bang for your buck if you ask me.
Unread 11-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigWK View Post
For less than the cost of replacing the stock tires @ discount tire, I was able to order the OME heavy duty suspension kit AND buy a set of 5 JK rims with nearly new mud terrain tires. Total cost, installed myself, with .25" spacers and a lifetime alignment at firestone, was less than $1300. Biggest bang for your buck if you ask me.
I keep forgetting Firestone does that, that makes me mad. Why haven't other stores caught on to this by now.. RAWR!
Unread 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
maxst2
2006 WK 

Actually.. you can order that rear bumper WITHOUT the tire carrier.

Tags
accident , bumper , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.