Rear end is hawling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rear end is hawling

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
ylimits
2008 WK 

Rear end is hawling

I have a 2008 grand Cherokee with the diesel in it and I've noticed that my rear axle is starting to make a bawling noise and its starting to get worse I was wondering if this is a common problem in these jeeps or if my problem could be something else. Also can I just change the rear diff. Or do I need to swap the whole axle

ylimits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylimits
I have a 2008 grand Cherokee with the diesel in it and I've noticed that my rear axle is starting to make a bawling noise and its starting to get worse I was wondering if this is a common problem in these jeeps or if my problem could be something else. Also can I just change the rear diff. Or do I need to swap the whole axle
Try changing the diff fluid

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
caulk04
2008 WK 

Howling?

Pull the cover and inspect, if no obvious damage is present, just try changing the fluid. I'd go cheap with some plain old conventional oil just to try it out. No sense wasting $40+ on good fluid just for a test.

If it goes away, drain again and put good fluid in. If it keeps doing it, find a good shop to at least do new bearings all around if not a new R&P set as well.
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

any play in the rear DS where it goes into the diff? Any leaks where the DS goes into the diff?

Those are symptoms of pinion bearings going
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.