Rear DVD VES Sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rear DVD VES Sound

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
beber
2005 WK 

Rear DVD VES Sound

I have an 05 WK, that I bought used a few months ago. It came with the factory installed VES, and an aftermarket radio. I replaced the radio with an REF (base radio), just to make the Uconnect work. However, I cannot get any sound from the backseat VES. Is there something I'm missing, or do I have the wrong stereo. Thanks.

beber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Are you able to change the mode to VES on the radio?
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
ToyTJ
2008 WK 

Ves

I have a 2008 with RER (Nav) and VES. On mine, you can select the mode on the rear screen with its remote, and the sound comes only through the wireless headsets. Are you using those?
'08 WK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Black, MyGig NAV, DVD, Roof, Tow, 18" chromes, Tint, Addco sway bars, KYB gas shocks/struts, Hemi Club #66
ToyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beber View Post
I have an 05 WK, that I bought used a few months ago. It came with the factory installed VES, and an aftermarket radio. I replaced the radio with an REF (base radio), just to make the Uconnect work. However, I cannot get any sound from the backseat VES. Is there something I'm missing, or do I have the wrong stereo. Thanks.
With the REF Radio and VES you will only get sound from the headphones .
I think You could upgrade to the RAQ to change that . Info found here http://wkjeeps.com/wk_radios.htm#REAR
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
beber
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTJ View Post
I have a 2008 with RER (Nav) and VES. On mine, you can select the mode on the rear screen with its remote, and the sound comes only through the wireless headsets. Are you using those?
I bought the care used without the headsets. I was hoping to have it play through the speakers.
beber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Headsets are cheap and easy to get. I bought 2 myself at my local electronics store. If your interested, I have a REC nav for sale in the parts section of this forum. That will get you sound through all the speakers
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
the1ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by beber View Post
I bought the care used without the headsets. I was hoping to have it play through the speakers.
Just check eb#y for a set of headsets. Some auctions for them are at $1 running out soon, so you might be able to pick up a pair for real cheap.
the1ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
frenchqtrchef

Husband and I just bought a used 2005 WK about a week ago. It has the rear VES, and we were wondering the same thing. Couldn't figure out how/where the sound comes out. We saw the jacks on the unit and he went and bought a set of corded headphones, but then we realized those were auxiliary jacks. I checked the operating manual but can't find a thing about the VES in it. Searching the web, I found an article which states the DVD volume comes out of the radio speakers, but how? I also came across an installation manual for the entire unit, which shows the wireless headphones. The WK we bought came with no headphones.

So how do you get the DVD volume to play through the radio speakers? And do we need to buy specific VES wireless headphones, or will any wireless headphones work?
frenchqtrchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

what I discovered is that you have to have a live signal from the DVD before it becomes selectable from the head unit. I can pop in a disc, let it start playing, then punch up the input on the head unit and it plays though all speakers. I also discovered that I can use a 1/8" stereo -> twin RCA cable to connect an iPod's headphone output to the left/right audio in of the DVD, start some music on the Pod, then select the AUX input up front, and viola! the poor man's pod dock!

I was thinking of ditching the DVD until I found this feature. BTW it will play DVD-A discs as well, and it sounds pretty damn good for a factory stereo
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.