Rear diff "wet"? 07 xk 46k miles.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rear diff "wet"? 07 xk 46k miles..

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
07commanderpa

Rear diff "wet"? 07 xk 46k miles..

So, I was bored today. Drove around some, found some dirt roads and some mud puddles.

Washed the jeep when I was done, waited until it was dry and I got down and was looking under it to see if I got all the mud/dirt washed away (I didn't).

Found out that my rear diff looks terrible..

That's bad, right? How bad on a scale of 1-10, 10 being that my xk might not run tomorrow.

I didn't hit anything, and I didn't hear anything break.. and it's not dripping, etc.

I don't know how long it has been like this, but I don't think it was like this a month ago but I'm not sure.

Could it just be the seal or something?

07commanderpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
big0cheeto
2008 WK 

make sure its topped off before you drive, does just look like that front seal is leaking.
big0cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
colinzj
2006 WK 

With a spray pattern like that, yeah, it's probably the pinion seal.

Cross-country road trips are probably a bad idea, but you can still drive it around town until you get it fixed. Keep an eye on the fluid level.
Unread 04-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
TangoTango
2008 WK 

Gear oil looking like that is usally not leaking very fast.

Pack some gear oil (and a pump) and keep an eye on the level.

I have had trucks leak like that for years without any issues.

Top it off, then check it in a few days and see how much more it takes to top it off.
Then you have an idea ov how much it is leaking per week.

Since you just noticed it ... it is very important to top off the gear oil, and not how much it takes.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

Leaking pinion seal.As others have stated,top it off and it will be fine for a short time until you can get it fixed. It doesn't take much oil volume to make a mess like that. Make sure to replace it with a quality seal and you'll be set.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

An '07 with 46K? Depending on what you have for a powertrain warranty,That might be covered.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07commanderpa View Post
So, I was bored today. Drove around some, found some dirt roads and some mud puddles.

Washed the jeep when I was done, waited until it was dry and I got down and was looking under it to see if I got all the mud/dirt washed away (I didn't).

Found out that my rear diff looks terrible..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCCU5GxsUs

That's bad, right? How bad on a scale of 1-10, 10 being that my xk might not run tomorrow.

I didn't hit anything, and I didn't hear anything break.. and it's not dripping, etc.

I don't know how long it has been like this, but I don't think it was like this a month ago but I'm not sure.

Could it just be the seal or something?
Agree with above about the leak, but if you have the QD II system with the
ELSD's , i would fix it asap as you will be loosing the expensive friction modifier as well .Don't know how much you pay for fluids there , but here for the price of 1 bottle of friction modifier and 1 qt of syn lube ,I could prob. pay to have a garage change the seal . Just my .02
good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I'm gonna agree it's a bad pinion seal. Being as you don't know for sure how long it's been like that I would first top off the diff fluid and then beat feet to get it fixed. You say you don't think it was like that a month ago but you aren't sure - your pumpkin could have been low for a while running hot and doing some premature wear on the gears inside.

Hopefully, and likely, all is well but I wouldn't drag my feet getting it taken care of.

Good luck.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.