Rear diff vent tube broken - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rear diff vent tube broken

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
BAH101
2008 WK 

Rear diff vent tube broken

Well, washed the Jeep yesterday and decided to check my rear diff level. I have a input seal that likes to leak once and a while so it is a good thing to give it a look see. Well, saw a frothy milky mix in there. So, no choice now but to change it. Pulled the cover and here is what I got:

image-3504831432.jpg

And this is the culprit:

image-724195694.jpg

Seems like my vent tube broke.
Anyone know of any aftermarket stainless vent tube kits for our WK? Might go that route now.

Unread 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
TangoTango
2008 WK 

you got water it there...to cause that sludge... I would put new oil in and then change after like 250 miles... and repeat ...and repeat.. until it comes out clean.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
BAH101
2008 WK 

Yup, lots of water from the broken vent hose. Must of happened over the weekend on my drive home. Lots of slush and snow that froze underneath. That, and the hose seemed a bit brittle. I though about changing the oil in a couple of hundred miles, just too bad I thought of it after I put in fresh expensive synthetic oil. If I though about I earlier, I would have just put in cheap stuff for the flush. Oh well.
fixed the hose temporarily, tomorrow going to look for some better stuff, maybe enough to relocate the vent higher.
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Random thought. Diffs look pretty sweet inside.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.