JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   re: CRD and Oil Change (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/re-crd-oil-change-625197/)

MacCherokee 10-29-2008 09:10 PM

re: CRD and Oil Change

I brought my new to me CRD in to Mr lube today for an oil change. I had been planning on doing it myself but I have not had the time. the truck is an 6 month old 08 with 16,000KMS on it. It was a Chrysler Canada vehicle so I have no idea if the oil was changed yet so I wanted to change it. At first they wanted to put 5W30 Mobil 1 in but I had mentioned to them that it takes special oil. In the end, they ended up putting Mobil 1 5W40 Delvac 1. When I made it home I started to do some research and it appears that this is the wrong oil for the truck. I called them back and after several "I will call you back" calls he explained to me that this is infact the right oil for the truck. I explained that it appears the truck need Mobile 1 ESP and he explained that that is what the Delvac is. He also claims he had called the local Jeep dealership and asked them what they put in the trucks and they said straight 5W30 Syn. Is there an ESP in 5W40 Delvac.

This oil stuff is giving me a headache. I use Mobile 1 5W50 and all my vehicles to date including my motorcycle.

Cheers,

Tuco 10-29-2008 09:34 PM

I supect you already found the following: According to Mobil's information Delvac is an ESP diesel oil. But the specs it lists are Mercedes Benz MB-Approval 228.31, 228.3. The CRD requires 229.51. The Mobil 5-30W ESP lists Mercedes Benz MB-Approval 229.31/229.51. You could print these out and show the dealer your manual and these printounts and ask them what you should do. If they say you have to change the oil out, then you could have them inform the MR lube that they owe you a refund. Certainly communicating with the dealer is a must to protect any warranty issues. I can see how the dealer and or the mr lube people could confuse the two, and could see how they might not want to refund since the requirements looks so similar. Here are the links I pulled up:

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lube...mula_5W-30.asp

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._ESP_5W-40.asp

After reading the specs,they sure do look close. If the Delvac is a lot cheaper, maybe its what we should be using? It does list ESP and safe for particulate filters.

...later edit: I think the Delvac is not the correct oil. I sent an email to Mobil1 tech support to ask this question. When I used their online help and entered in my vehicle and year, it said to use Mobil1 5-30W ESP. No mention of the Delvac. The Delvac looks to be about half the cost of the 5-30W ESP, so it would be really nice to know if this oil is going to work as well as their more expensive ESP.

bdsix 10-30-2008 03:27 PM

Delvac 1 ESP was/is a favorite of VW TDI drivers (myself included) and it runs about $10-12 a litre. I dropped my last batch of Delvac ESP in my WK this week after the dealer tried to sell me standard Mobil 1 0W-40 as the oil of choice for CRDs.

Jscheier 10-30-2008 03:46 PM

After reading the forums it looks like most people are using www.germanfilters.com for their oil change needs.

I looked at the site I use for my BMW parts and they have the same items for slightly less money. Free shipping on orders over $100.

www.rmeuropean.com Use 2007 mercedes 320cdi for the vehicle and all the filters and oil are there.

MacCherokee 10-31-2008 07:55 AM

Well it looks like I am going to leave the Delvac ESP in there. It clearly states on the bottle that it is designed for premium diesel engines with DPF's. From what I gather the Formula M was made specifically for Mercedes when they started using the DPF's. That is why you pay twice the money for it. The only difference I can see for this oil is the ash content in 1.0 vs .69 for the Forumla M. I can't find the formula M here so Delvac ESP it is. The oil was changed by Mr. Lube and this is what they say goes in there so if I ever have any issues with the DPF they will be paying the bill.

$200.00 for an oil change is crazy though.

How long are the rest of you going between oil changes?

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdsix (Post 5923917)
Delvac 1 ESP was/is a favorite of VW TDI drivers (myself included) and it runs about $10-12 a litre. I dropped my last batch of Delvac ESP in my WK this week after the dealer tried to sell me standard Mobil 1 0W-40 as the oil of choice for CRDs.

boxcab 10-31-2008 01:16 PM

The 229.51 spec has added high-temperature shear requirements. I was going to use Amsoil DEO, but use Amsoil AFL instead. As for OCI, I found through oil analysis, that Mobil 1 ESP was good for about 9K miles. At this point the physical characteristics were still excellent, but the TBN had dropped to about 2, less than half what it was when fresh. As I said, I have Amsoil AFL in there right now, and will take a sample at 3K miles (about 1200 miles from now, or 19K vehicle miles.)

If you want to save money, buy Amsoil AFL, and get your filters from germanfilter.com.

no-blue-screen 10-31-2008 02:50 PM

They didn't use the proper spec oil. I know it is a PITA, but you need to get that oil out of there and put in a new filter and the correct oil. Germanfilters.com also sells Elf/Total (Total is the new name and has been around in Europe for a while). I used the Elf/Total products in my VW TDI and many of the guys over on TDI club swear by the stuff. It's good oil and the PD TDI engine has some pretty strict oil requirements due to the injection system it uses. As others have stated here the main concnern as far as I know is the DPF and ash content. For the sake of engine warranty change it out as soon as possible.....oil changes on thsi engine are expensive but it just isn't worth risking the engine and warranty to save $100. Also, don't forget a new copper crush washer for the drain plug...otherwise it could dribble on you.

Tuco 10-31-2008 03:53 PM

I did the first oil change at about 7000 miles, the second one will be at around 15k miles. I will run the Mobil 1 ESP 5-30W 229.51. I guess my price that I posted above is way off. I thought the delvac was cheaper, but looks to be about the same price as the recommended oil. Check the other threads as there are several alternatives. It seems that you will probably get as many saying to change the oil as to keep it. I would leave it in there. The specs are so close and as you said, the Delvac is made for ESP diesel.

Tuco 10-31-2008 06:17 PM

FYI: Here is the response from Mobil1 oil tech support. My question is below their response.
>
>
>
>
Thank you for your inquiry. We recommend staying with oil that meet the
> required specification MB 229.51 and the SAE Grade required, Mobil 1 ESP
> Formula 5W-30 and Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40.
>
> Technical Support Engineer (WJF)
>
>
>
>

>
> pvl.marketing.internet@exxonmobil.com wrote:
>
>> We have a mercedes engine 3.0 crd and the owners manual specifies MB
>>
> 229.51. According to your website the synthetic oil 5-30W ESP meets this
> requirement. Mobil also lists Delvac 5-40W and it lists MB 229.31. The
> Delvac is easier to obtain in the U.S. and we wonder if it will be okay to
> use in our MB 3.0 CRD diesel engine even though the specs are slightly
> different. Please advise. Thanks!
>

Ridin' Around 10-31-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcab (Post 5928453)
The 229.51 spec has added high-temperature shear requirements. I was going to use Amsoil DEO, but use Amsoil AFL instead. As for OCI, I found through oil analysis, that Mobil 1 ESP was good for about 9K miles. At this point the physical characteristics were still excellent, but the TBN had dropped to about 2, less than half what it was when fresh. As I said, I have Amsoil AFL in there right now, and will take a sample at 3K miles (about 1200 miles from now, or 19K vehicle miles.)

If you want to save money, buy Amsoil AFL, and get your filters from germanfilter.com.

Doug, you can now buy your Filters from Amsoil as well. They have just added the Mann filter line as an addition. The Hu 821 X that fits the 3.0CRD sells to Preferred Customer for less than $10.00. Anyone intersted in signing up as a PC can PM me for details. If you would like a price on other Mann filters PM me for those prices as well.

bdsix 11-01-2008 06:18 AM

If Delvac 1 ESP is meeting the 229.31 spec, then it should be fine as long as your OCI (oil change interval) is 10,000 km...the dealer recommended in my case. 229.51 was developed by MB when they switched their OCI from 15,000 km (229.31) to 20,000 km (229.51).

TonyVideo 11-01-2008 08:54 AM

I buy my oil from this site:

www.avlube.com

drysuitdiver 11-01-2008 02:59 PM

i hope they also put half of the oil in the filter hole too, otherwise its gonna start 'ticking' as the main bearing cap #1 gets starved of oil.

there is a tsb for this but if its out of warranty thn its 14hr labour to sort Ouch:mad:

johnniebravo 11-01-2008 03:20 PM

Very interesting discussion here....DELVAC may be a lot easier to get a hold of for me.

Just to be sure I checked my owners manual and it states that I can use EITHER 229.31 OR 229.51. So, according to the owners manual, the DELVAC ESP should be fine. How did we all come about (myself included) that the ONLY oil to use HAD to be 229.51?

The only issue that may come up is that the owners manual may not be correct. This would not be the first time Jeep has had to alter their owners manuals due to recommending an inappropriate fluid (i.e. wrongly recommending the use of GL-5 transmission fluids for the early TJ AX-5/15 transmissions).

Also, with the recommended oil change interval of 6,250 miles, as the OP state above (I cannot confirm), this should suit the 229.31 perfectly fine.

boxcab 11-01-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridin' Around (Post 5929862)
Doug, you can now buy your Filters from Amsoil as well. They have just added the Mann filter line as an addition. The Hu 821 X that fits the 3.0CRD sells to Preferred Customer for less than $10.00.

Cool! :2thumbsup: I'm already a PC. Now, if they'd just make a Donaldson Nanofiber-tech version of that filter...

Actually, I already have the 2-qt Amsoil bypass filter installed, so I have a full 3 gallons (or one case) of AFL in the mill. The fill level on the dipstick is exactly halfway between the high and low marks.

Thanks for the update. I must've missed it in the literature... :pout:

The time now is 02:14 PM.