RC lift and an LED light bar!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > RC lift and an LED light bar!!

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
modernblueWK

RC lift and an LED light bar!!

I installed the RC lift and lightbar on friday after Xmas. The lift was a PITA but worth it. Now the quest to get it aligned. The light bar is from ebay. Hooked to the foglight circuit and factory fog switch via external relay. Im thinking about replacing the factory fogs with 4 LED pods or whiter bulbs.

Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
modernblueWK

Oh and my old rustys strut spacers are in the for sale section.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 12-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
TangoTango
2008 WK 

How did you mount that lower light bar and what exact size was it? .. I'm Thinking of running a 3000k Yellow LED on the bottom like that to cut through the fog and dust.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

That looks awesome!! Great job. I'm looking to get some LED bars and fog lights in the same locations.
2007 Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition: 4.7L V8- QTII- Green- Mopar Recovery Hooks Front/Rear- 2in Rough Country lift- 265/70/17 Cooper discover AT3's- 1in BORA wheel spacers- Rola roof basket with extension- F-150 Monroe load levelers- Putco window vents- plasti-dipped wheels- Stillen rotors and pads- solid diff cover- N Dure tail light guards
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
modernblueWK

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171171227898?txnId=1319375825007

20" light bar. There are 2 factory holes in the crossmember behind the license plate on my 2008. Bolted it in there, ran the wiring up to the fuse box. Relay power from the fuse box, ground to the fuse box mount, switched power from the drivers side fog light. I may wire a stand alone switch later but this seems cleaner.

I bought a wiring kit on ebay for $8. I just used the relay and threw the cheap switch away.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 12-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
08zombie

2008 WK 

Jeep looks great! I like the idea of the lightbar in that lower grill void
SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #119
2008 WK 3.7L (Soon to be Lifted)
WANTED: WK OEM TOW HOOKS
08zombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
paroxysym
2007 WK 

ever consider doing HID fogs? I run a 3k HID xenondepot fog- puts my lows to shame.
Unread 12-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
modernblueWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
ever consider doing HID fogs? I run a 3k HID xenondepot fog- puts my lows to shame.
I might!
Blue WK club #4
Unread 12-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced my stock cracked fog lamps with a set of the Seward Offroad Twin T-2 6 LED lamps. I went with spot pattern and they throw off a LOT of light, probably too much. I aimed them way down, but man do they help on dark rainy nights.

http://sewardoffroad.com/product/twin-t-2/

I picked them up from Trailskinz.com...lifetime warranty too.

Bar looks good there, very good.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
modernblueWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
I replaced my stock cracked fog lamps with a set of the Seward Offroad Twin T-2 6 LED lamps. I went with spot pattern and they throw off a LOT of light, probably too much. I aimed them way down, but man do they help on dark rainy nights.

What did you mount them to?
Blue WK club #4
Unread 12-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
chevra
2008 WK 

I will have to check into this light bar mounting location. I always wanted one there but was never sure how I would mount the thing. Dont mean to copy you but I might just have to haha. Are you happy with the performance of that light bar?
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
modernblueWK

You can copy me if you want to. I was not the first one to do it someone else on this forum has a light bar in the same place. I know on my 2008 there are two bolt holes right behind the license plate in the crossmember. I haven't used the light at night yet but at twilight it was pretty bright. For under $100 i'm happy. Look for one that includes a relay wiring kit if you can.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 12-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:

I cant imagine that they are much use in fog, but if that is of no concern I'm sure they throw a ton of light offroad.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:

So it looks like you had the 4 LED ones originally, did you notice a significant difference with the 6 LED version?
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
What did you mount them to?
Hey man.
I basically made a bracket that fits the stock bucket. Really simple and works great, the lights are very stable.

I had some galvanized steel lying around from some other project and I bent up 2 pieces. One inside the bucket and one around the outside. They clamp together with stainless hardware that came with the lights. I did add a few washers however.

Bucket... with the OEM light still in place.

Here you can see the smaller inner piece with the bolt in place (4 LED lamps I had in there first).

Here is the hardware ready for install. Took 15 minutes to make this and it works awesome, no drilling or mods to the bumper. If I recall, it was from light up...

Light bracket>bolt>fender washer>small arch>light bucket>large outer arch shaped to the bucket>large washer>lock washer>nut (Nyloc preferable).

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.