raving in reverse or drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > raving in reverse or drive

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 11-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
94jeepman
2005 WK 

raving in reverse or drive

When I start my jeep I'll put it in reverse or drive and it will act like it's in neutral for about 5 seconds and than start moving. It doesn't always do this its just kind of random I have an 05 4.7l. Could this be the transfer case acting up from the neutral shifting thing they sent the recall out for?

KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

Transmission losing prime. Very common and only annoying, won't cause any problems so long as you wait for it to engage before setting off.

Try letting it run in neutral for a few seconds before shifting into gear, mostly when it's been sitting for a while. Not a bad idea to let it warm up and circulate briefly anyway. My rule is, start it first, then put your seatbelt on and get situated before leaving.

A change of the filters in the transmission will fix this problem so long as good filters are used and installed properly. WIX or OEM filters.
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
94jeepman
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Transmission losing prime. Very common and only annoying, won't cause any problems so long as you wait for it to engage before setting off.

Try letting it run in neutral for a few seconds before shifting into gear, mostly when it's been sitting for a while. Not a bad idea to let it warm up and circulate briefly anyway. My rule is, start it first, then put your seatbelt on and get situated before leaving.

A change of the filters in the transmission will fix this problem so long as good filters are used and installed properly. WIX or OEM filters.
Ok thanks for the info when it does that I usually let it sit for a few and I actually have a at filter sitting on the shelf in the garage just haven't had the time
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
05hemiyc

I had this issue. I changed the transmission oil and it never occurred again. Also, letting it warm up will do the trick as well.
05hemiyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
94jeepman
2005 WK 

Do our transmissions have 2 filters?
KHAKI MEMBER #59

Unread 11-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Yes the 545rfe has 2 filters . 1 spin on and 1 internal .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
caulk04
2008 WK 

They are both internal. The spin on filter is for the cooler return line which runs on a separate fluid circuit from the primary trans functions.
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
They are both internal. The spin on filter is for the cooler return line which runs on a separate fluid circuit from the primary trans functions.
AH , your right , I forgot that stupid thing is inside the pan .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.