Rattle under the car - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
sheisty
2004 WJ 

Garage
Rattle under the car

I have a rattle under the car that isn't present when in park, or neutral. Is that a specific indicator of something?

I know the heat shield for the exhaust was loose but that was screwed in with self tapping screws and it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Would cats rattle in park or neutral while revving the engine?

2005 Laredo 4.7 V8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-03-2017, 12:03 PM
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

A normal rattle would be exhaust shield (which you've fixed) and a muffler.

What kind of rattle? Where does the sound come from/area of vehicle? Cats could rattle if the honeycomb had broken apart, test it with a infrared temp light. Exhaust should be hotter (ie pipe hotter) coming out of the cat than coming in.

In park and neutral, the RPMS should go up. So right around that RPM range would enough movement to rattle something that is loose. Any more and it's too fast to hear the sound, and less and it's too little to rattle the thing(s). Look at things that change with the RPM of the vehicle. Most likely culprit is something in the exhaust.

06 4.7L QT-II, RC 2", 255/70-17 Revo2, 1.5 spacers, SC Tuner, coilover shocks
Blk WK member #174
post #3 of 7 Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
sheisty
2004 WJ 

Garage
Thanks will take a look.

It sounds like its coming from from the middle any time I touch the gas high revs or not between 5mph and 75mph. Sometimes when I take my foot off the gas you can hear it faintly while decelerating. The engine when idling is smooth and quiet, and has no vibrations whats so ever.

I've only had this jeep a month. I believe somebody attempted to steal the factory wheels. I have another Jeep and two BMW's and never had a theft issue, and have been parked in some shifty places. Two lug nuts were missing from the Jeep after I got it out the shop (I had a lot of work done to make it a headache free vehicle). Not sure exactly when.......it sucks because I know they were all there when I left as we put on OEM lugs at 8 or 9 bucks a pop. I also got a couple CEL's related to the cat after I got it out the shop and all the monitors where ready. I put it back up on the lift...saw the cat was partially crushed. Looks like right where somebody would try to jack the Jeep up in a rush. Perhaps the damage was there all along, and the codes might of been there as well as I only drove the car about 15-20 miles after purchase and putting it in the shop. But that would be odd to have two missing lug nuts that where put on with a gun.

The sound doesn't sound like a cat rattle, and I definitely heard it on the ride from the car lot to the shop.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 AM
wave_crusher
2006 WK 

Get a listening device (ie scope, or long piece of thing metal), and have someone rev the engine to about 1,500 RPM. and look/listen around for the noise.

It could very well be something like a piece of the water pump impeller rattling around.

06 4.7L QT-II, RC 2", 255/70-17 Revo2, 1.5 spacers, SC Tuner, coilover shocks
Blk WK member #174
post #5 of 7 Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
sheisty
2004 WJ 

Garage
Rattle is not exhuast related. It seems to be the axle housing tube. It's basically metal to metal now.

My problem now is I don't know if I need 52111966AC or 52111343AC
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Racer-X
2006 WK 

The 52111343AC is for without electronic limited slip front diff (without QuadraDrive II).

The other, 52111966AC, is for the QuadraDrive-II diff with the electronic limited slip.

Is it just the rubber mount on top that's touching/rattling? Those front diff mounts are infamous for wearing out and causing noises. Usually it's more of a clunk shifting in and out of gear, though.

I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why my position is correct.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 04:32 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

I had a rattle under mine that happened under slight load at about 35mph. didn't happen all he time. seems that when the last oil change was done the front skid plate was removed. when it was put back on, they stripped the nut sert and the plate rattled. that was a bugger to find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.