Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Random No starts

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  OldHickory 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7 and have some starting problems. It happens randomly. I have full power everytime and usually get a single click. I can sit and keep trying after 10-15 minutes and it would start. I did try going under and knocking on the starter but doesn't work everytime. Took the starter off and had it tested and it was good. I just cleaned up the connector and that's it. Battery is obviously good, connections and grounds checked and are good. But it's always a random no start. Most times is after driving a little but sometimes as a cold start. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem or any solutions. I just changed the spark plugs bc it's all I had time to do and they were really worn down after pulling them. I didn't gauge them but there was a visual difference in the gap.

#2 ·
I presume you mean the battery terminals and connections have been cleaned and checked, if not then do that first. Next swap the starter relay in the box under the hood with one of the other identical relays to test that failure possibility. If those dont solve your problem, its likely the well known "yellow wire" problem where the connector on the yellow wire next to the starter needs to be replaced (not just cleaned). Corrosion gets under the wire insulation and causes a high resistance connection. There are many discussions here on JF if you search.

#10 ·
Yea no clue. I assume they meant the terminals but a monkey could do that. But anyway, something new is happening. I now have smoke on the inside of the jeep. It happens after driving little over 5-10 miles and usually going around 40-50 mph. I notice it coming from passenger side mostly but cant tell exactly where. I have also seen in come out of the center console. It has a smell but i honestly cant tell you what it smells like. I cant pull off and look at where its coming from bc by the time i stop the smoke is gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.