Rak's Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Rak's Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Rak187INF
2009 WK 

Rak's Build

Well after a couple months of reading, learning, and modifying, I decided it was time to put together a build thread. So here goes. First, this is how she looked the day I brought her home-

First thing I did was get the front windows tinted to match the back. Next was to paint up the wheels. I washed them and scrubbed them real good. After they dried, I sanded them down with some fine grit sandpaper, and cleaned them again. One coat of etching primer, then 3 coats of rustoleum black wheel paint, then I opted for 2 coats of rustoleum clear coat.

It didn't take too long before I got bit by the lift bug. I ended up going with the RC 2 inch lift. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures because the install ended up being the longest day of my life. I guess the fact that I didn't know a damn thing about suspensions, it kinda took me a little longer to learn as I went, lol. But I do have the before and after-
Before-

After-

After a little while I decided to tint the tails. A couple coats of VHT Nightshade, and I was good to go. (Sidenote- Nightshade drys pretty dark. I ended up doing 4 coats and the end result was so dark you couldnt see my brake lights lol. After stripping them off and redoing them with 2 coats, I was good to go.)

I also ended up debadging and replacing the radio antenna with a shorty antenna. Shortly after the lift was done, I ordered the front skid plate from 4xGuard. Pretty simple and straight forward install. I ended up printing out Chirpz's thread because it was easier to use step by step than the manufacturers directions.

I also added some OEM foglights, but since I didn't want to pay $180 for the full kit and then have to take it to the dealer, Budasac threw his patented cubbyhole switches in for me and wired the fogs up to them.

Next up was a CB and antenna. I basically pulled the cubby out from the left side of the steering wheel.

I cut the back end off

and slid it over the cb and fit it into the cubby

I ended up just wiring it straight into the fuse panel

The antenna mount was fab'd up by Buda and installed

The picture is his also, lol
Finally it was time to put some bigger tires on. I ended up going with General Grabber AT2's in 265/70/17. I had a bit of rub at full lock, but nothing too bad.

After that it was time to start playing with Plasti-dip. I tried a few times to bake my headlights and get them open.... but that nut was too tough to crack so I gave up. I ended up plasti-dipping the side markers though

Black WK Member #28
2009 WK- 2 Inch RC lift, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2
Rak187INF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Rak187INF
2009 WK 

After that came the rola rack

Finally I added some RC 1.5 inch wheel spacers to alleviate the rub at full lock. It did the trick, but now I need to do the pinch weld mod, so that'll be coming up soon.
A little while later, I got started on the gutter guard front grill. I ended up using some expanded metal I got at Home Depot. First I removed the entire grill assembly. I cut all the fins out of the grill and started laying in the mesh. Once I had everything lined up the way I wanted, I actually used lashing wire to secure the mesh to the pillars. While I had everything apart, and had some extra material, I made a piece to go in front of the radiator at the bottom where it's wide open to rocks and debris. This piece was just zip-tied in to make sure it wouldnt rattle. The assembly was re-assembled and remounted.

Finally, I got a Westin Brushguard from the GF for my B-Day. I def didn't waste any time throwing it on. I had to end up cutting holes into the mesh grill to allow the mounting brackets. But in the end it was a pretty straight forward install.

And this is how she sits today

Hopefully I'll be adding more posts to this as the build progresses.
Black WK Member #28
Unread 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
WKChris89
2006 WK 

Looks sick man, bout time u made a build thread!! haha

Our trucks are growing up together, i really gotta get me a rack though i feel left out that u and buda have em.
WKChris89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Budasac
2005 WK 

Looks good Kenny, the brush guard compliments the rack nicely.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!! (when is it?)
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Rak187INF
2009 WK 

Thursday, but the wierdest thing is.... I think I feel a "cold" coming on Thursday, not sure if I can make it to work that day, lol
Black WK Member #28
Unread 11-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
mattydipps
2006 WK 

good looking truck rak, how do you like your rc lift ?
mattydipps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Rak187INF
2009 WK 

Lovin it, haven't really noticed too much of a difference in the ride
Black WK Member #28
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Raucous
2006 WK 

Nice job. Black was my first choice when I was looking for my GC, but it wasn't meant to be. I'm hoping to have a build thread of my own up around mid December.
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
84foxgt
2007 WK 

looks great. i've been going back and forth on getting a grill guard and your pics sealed the deal for me.
84foxgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
daveWK42
2008 WK 

this is a great build thread! & the brush guard looks great! you've done a lot of things that i've thought about doing to my own rig, so i'll be referring back to this & asking a LOT of questions...

edit: i like your cb placement, but where do you keep the mic when it's not in use?

hers: 2013 patriot sport
his: 2008 grand cherokee laredo
daveWK42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
jager00
2005 WK 

Good start! What else do you have planned? The brush guard wasnt on there the other day was it? And nice meeting you the other day! Hope you can make it out to RC in jan!

2005 WK 9" lift on 37's with all the goodies- regretfully sold :(
jager00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
Rak187INF
2009 WK 

The brush guard just went on yesterday. Next I'm lookin to start adding lights and armor. Prob start doin the skids underneath. As long as nothin's goin on at home, I'll prob be in for RC
Black WK Member #28
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #13
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

haha, you stole my sticker setup! I'm just kid'n. Looks good. - Oh, and I added it to WK/XK Build Directory.
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
big0cheeto
2008 WK 

looks good man, what CB is that? i have a 08 WK and i was looking around to find one that would fit in the cubby because i think the 08-10 cubby's are smaller.
big0cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
fingaz
2009 WK 

Rak187INF, the Jeep looks good! I see you have your front windows tinted. I know its illegal here in NJ and I was wondering if the cops have given you any problems because of it. What % tint is it, too?
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights | Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit In -- To Do: Install Uniden CB, Rock lights
fingaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.