Radio wont power on ive tried everything!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Radio wont power on ive tried everything!!!!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Jeepswag502
2006 XJ Cherokee 

Radio wont power on ive tried everything!!!!!

I own a 06 jeep grand cherokee and I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to installing stereos or any electrical related problems but I can't figure this one out. About a month ago I was installing a new battery and connected the wires backwards for a few seconds. After correcting the issues immediately and hooking up the battery I realized my radio wouldn't power on. I just assumed it was a fuse but it's been over 2 months and I still haven't figured it out. I have checked every single fuse and the amps in ALL 3 fuse boxes. I pulled checked and replaced them all 1 by 1. According to the fuse box diagram the 20 amp fuse in the power distribution center under the hood (F28) controls the radio which I discovered was blown was replaced. I then just assumed the stereo was fried so I just purchased a used after-market sony explode CD player and installed it double checking everything and I still can't get any power to my radio! I'm out of ideas and this is really starting to frustrate me! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

-CHECKED AND REPLACED FUSES IN ALL 3 FUSE BOX'S 1 BY 1
-REPLACED STEREO
-CHECKED WIRING

Jeepswag502 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the forum.
I moved this thread to the Grand Cherokee forum section where your fellow WK drivers can best assist.

If all else fails, use a multi-meter or test light to verify voltage leaving the fuse and again at the stereo. That'll give you a better idea which direction to look.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Enter your jeep in the ROctober Cherokee Of The Month contest!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Jeepswag502
2006 XJ Cherokee 

Ok. I've got a multi meter but I'm almost positive there is no power going to the stereo. I've ruled out fuses (trust me) and it's not the stereo itself.. What's next??
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

If you've ruled out a problem at the fuse panel, then you have power leaving the fuse but not making it to the radio. Fortunately they're not too far apart which narrows the problem down quite a bit.
A good ground is as important as a good power feed, but of no help if no power reaching the radio.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Enter your jeep in the ROctober Cherokee Of The Month contest!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Jeepswag502
2006 XJ Cherokee 

Well keep in mind that this happened because a battery was connected backwards for a few seconds so that might help narrow it down a bit hopefully? What should my next course of action be or is it almost worth taking it somewhere to get looked at?

Tags
electrical , fuse , jeep , radio , stereo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.