Radio replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Radio replacement

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and

Unread 02-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
Greever
2008 WK 

Radio replacement

What are some plug and play radio's for the REN mygig. Mine is a 2008 model with boston acoustics speekers and back up camera.

Mine seems to be overheating, the console around the radio has been getting pretty hot lately. I think it may have to do with my superchips 93 tune because i started to notice it a little after i switch from the 87 tune. it sounds like a fan or something is constantly running(and yes i did have the radio off before installing the tune). I'm gonna switch back to the 87 tune for about a week and see if that changes anything. Just want to price out some options in case i have to change it.

Greever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Marcus86GLHS

I also have an '08 with same head unit......my original failed at about 20,000 miles, I was unable to find any "plug and play" aftermarket head unit that retains ALL of the factory features (back up camera, steering wheel controls, BA amp control, etc) so I got a re-manufactured OEM head unit.....it failed after just 2.5 years.....so again I searched for a true plug and play aftermarket unit that did not require me butchering up the original wiring harnesses to retain all factory features.....zero luck.....so I am now on my 3rd head unit, which is a re-manufactured OEM head unit.

i would LOVE to find an aftermarket head unit just like your post asks for!!!! but, they do not exist unless you are willing to either give up many of your factory features, or, if you are willing to cut up and butcher the OEM wiring harnesses. even the so called wiring adapter kits require butchering of your OEM wiring.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Greever
2008 WK 

I just found this via youtube: http://www.seicane.com/aftermarket-o...x-usb-sd-k6061

It looks like it would be a great replacement. Only thing it doesn't have is sirus radio (which isn't all that bad), and an integrated HDD (which really doesn't matter because it has a SD card slot). It has programmable steering wheel settings. I dont think its plug and play though, Ill do more research on it after I finish my homework
Unread 03-01-2015, 03:00 AM   #4
Marcus86GLHS

based on the views of the back of this unit I would say it will not be plug and play at all, you are going to need a wiring adapter kit which require you to cut apart your factory wiring bundles and re-configure new connectors to receive this unit.

also the price. you can get an OEM Jeep unit re-manufactured for a lot less that the price shown for this unit and of course the beauty of the re-man OEM unit is it is truly plug and play.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Unread 03-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Greever
2008 WK 

where? every time ive tried looking for a re-man for the REN I consistantly find it for $500+
Unread 03-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
Marcus86GLHS

call United Radio 800-448-0944, they do the re-man for $300, you send them your head unit, you get the same unit back, 1 yr warranty.

good luck.

Unread 03-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
Greever
2008 WK 

thanks, Ill check them out if the head unit continues to over heat. I switched back to the 87 tune yesterday and I didn't hear the fan noise like before.
Unread 03-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Kind of like to replace the REC in my '06 but must have lifetime sat radio which I would have to start paying for as the sat receiver is only compatible with OEM head units.

But have you looked into something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOGZ19U/...I3S3ORQ8OU560C

more info here

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_541RP4C...-CH11&skipvs=T

Understand with some (not sure about this one) you may lose fader control but the steering wheel controls will work with aftermarket units and there is no wire cutting needed.
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.