Radio options for steering wheel controls - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Radio options for steering wheel controls

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
EthanC23
2005 WK 

Radio options for steering wheel controls

So, I have an 05 WK limited with the factory stereo and steering wheel controls. I'm wondering who out there with a WK has steering wheel controls and what they do for their radio. Obviously, the factory radio kinda sucks and has no aux, no pre-outs, etc. I'm looking for something that I can use speaker amp/subs and a way that I can keep my factory steering wheel controls.

I have seen a module from PAC that apparently keeps your factory steering wheel controls with an aftermarket stereo and was wondering if anyone has experience with it?

However, I also kind of wanted to keep the factory look because I think its clean and its also a very cheap alternative to buying a $300 double-din, and aftermarket is definitely cheaper than the $900 factory touchscreen with the AUX in the front.

Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

EthanC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can add a sub out to the factory REC radio and an iPod and AUX input. My wife's WK has a sub output that was install by a PO. I put in the iPod jack. A little research online should find all you need.
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
EthanC23
2005 WK 

Is it any good? If I were to add the AUX to my factory REC would I be happy with the quality, or does it seem like her system is a bit lacking, and that aftermarket would be better? I've seen the module from PAC to add AUX ports, but it seems like the AUX ports only turn on on a certain channel on the radio, which would not be what I want. What I'm looking for is a system I can add speaker amp/iPod AUX and have the speaker amp work for every channel, not just on the iPod AUX. Does your wifes system use the sub out on every channel and source?
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
RUGLAYR

I have a wk and originally just added a aux to listen to my phone and the sound quality was horrible. I ended up going with a Kenwood ddx770 and for the price am very happy. Has iPod aux and pretty much everything you'd want all while still keeping steering wheel controls. If your looking to add aux I would just go all the way and buy a aftermarket deck you'll be much happier
RUGLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
EthanC23
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGLAYR View Post
I have a wk and originally just added a aux to listen to my phone and the sound quality was horrible. I ended up going with a Kenwood ddx770 and for the price am very happy. Has iPod aux and pretty much everything you'd want all while still keeping steering wheel controls. If your looking to add aux I would just go all the way and buy a aftermarket deck you'll be much happier
How'd you go about keeping your steering wheel controls? Did you buy the PAC module for it?
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
RUGLAYR

Yes I used the PAC harness and add on steering wheel control piece and works flawless
RUGLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
EthanC23
2005 WK 

Alright, well it will be a bit of time before I get to doing my stereo, as I am more focused on my outside rather than my inside for now. But I will post back and let everyone know how it goes

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.