Radio Install Q: Where to connect the +12v Switched Acc. wire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Radio Install Q: Where to connect the +12v Switched Acc. wire?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
grandebob
2006 WK 

Radio Install Q: Where to connect the +12v Switched Acc. wire?

So I'm installing an aftermarket Pinoeer Radio in my '06 Grand Cherokee. I've got a wiring harness adapter, and have a good idea what to do with the ground, +12v constant and ground. What I don't know where to go with is the +12v Switched Acc. wire.

On a less important note, I'm not exactly sure what to do with the Dimmer or Illumination wires, but those aren't that important. I know the power antena line is useless, since I don't have a power antena.

Has any one done one of these installs and know of a good place to tap into, or where in the fuse box to run it to?

Thanks,

grandebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
itdc1
2005 WK 

need to know if u have the upgraded boston acoustic sound system usually comes with limited and some laredo models. or the 4 speaker sound system..

If you have the pemium stereo then u need a PAC C2R-CHY2Specialty Wiring Harness for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles Equipped with CAN BUS/MSCAN Factory Systems
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...C2R-CHY2.html#

Provides +12v databus generated switched accessory output with R.A.P. No more searching for switched +12v in fuse box or kick panel
Amplifier Turn-On wire, if your vehicle is equipped with a Infinity/Boston Acoustics system
Dimmer/Illumination output wire
Steering wheel radio control wire output; can be used with SWI interface to control most new radios. No need to go to steering wheel column to find wires. Contact us to see which SWI interface you need to retain your factory steering wheel controls.
New radio will operate with the vehicle R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) system. This feature will keep the radio on, while the car is off, but before the door is opened. Just like the factory radio did
Data-controlled RAP Accessory, reverse trigger, vehicle speed sense wire and illumination output wire
Retains the use of the factory amplified system

Last edited by itdc1; 04-15-2009 at 05:13 PM..
itdc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
grandebob
2006 WK 

To my knowledge, I do not have the boston acoustic's upgrade. I have 2 front door speakers (1 each side), 2 dash speakers and 2 rear door speakers (1 each side).

My stock radio does not have a disc changer, MP3 capability, but does have an aux in on the front. I haven't seen the Boston Acoustic's logo any where in my jeep.
Unread 04-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
itdc1
2005 WK 

u best bet is to find ur build sheet or look in the trunk on the drivers side behind the pannel there would be a black box looking thing thats the amp if you have it. or if u have a laredo x package with the fog lights, then i believe you have the premium system.

If you do not then i would connect the +12v Switched Acc. wire to a wire off of the ignition switch where you put you key i think it is a pink with blue wire dont remeber for sure there has to be somebody on this forum that knows better then me that can help you out better
itdc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
My stock radio does not have a disc changer, MP3 capability, but does have an aux in on the front. I haven't seen the Boston Acoustic's logo any where in my jeep.
Boston was available with the REF stereo and was not badged in the 06s.

Pop the liftgate and look in the vent on the left (driver's side) interior quarter panel—if you can see a silver box with some fins, you have the Boston system. If you don't see that, you probably have the base system. (It's also possible you just don't know how to look in the vent. )

You can also simply listen to the front doors. Base audio gets full-range 6x9s, Boston gets woofers. If you're getting mids and highs from the front doors, it's base. Or someone's replaced the speakers.
Unread 04-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
grandebob
2006 WK 

No amp under the back vent on Drivers side (check pass side too, nothing there either)

I bought a harness kit to go with my new head unit, http://www.axxessinterface.com/products.aspx?s=6502

but it still needs a 12v constant and 12 volt acc conection.
Unread 04-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
grandebob
2006 WK 

Thank you Crutchfield.com.

Seems i don't need to tap into the wiring any where. the harness I bought handles all the ignition and accessory stuff for me. A quick call to their support set me straight.

Thanks to guys too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.