radiator leak - JeepForum.com
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > radiator leak

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales at JeepHut.comYeti Paracord Handles are in at JeepHut.com

Unread 02-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
radiator leak

My radiator had a pinhole leak from one of the plastic side tanks.

It was leaking from the seam that runs on top of the tank, near the upper hose on the driver's side. Didn't notice it until I was under the jeep doing some inspection of underside damage from some unforgiving rocks, when I saw the trail of evaporated coolant running down the side of the tank.

Ordered a new radiator online, since the local dealers wouldn't match the online price.

I got two bolts shy from removing the radiator for replacement, when I was blocked from success by the previous owner's installation of an RV tow bar, which prevented access to the lower two bolts that hold the radiator to the condenser.

Removing the tow bar seemed like a supremely unpleasant task, without any idea of what kind of special contortions I'd need to use in order to either remove the tow bar or loosen it enough to gain clearance to remove/replace the bolts holding the radiator in.

I admitted defeat to the tow bar, and re-installed all the bolts, hoses, fan shroud, fan, from grille, etc.

Pinhole leak should be easy enough to fix right?

Well, from previous experience in the field, I found that RTV does not seal (used the high-temp orange stuff... all that I had with me at the time). Neither does JB Weld (although the JB Weld slowed the leak enough to allow me to drive 2 hours at highway speeds to reach the nearest shop that could replace a radiator).

This time, instead of being in the desert, hours from the nearest parts store, I had all the sealers, glues, epoxies, etc in my house and garage.

I started with 5 minute plastic epoxy (loctite). Let it cure for 48 hours. It leaked.

Next I tried JB Weld Plastic epoxy. I removed the loctite plastic epoxy, which scraped off pretty easily. I've had good results with the JB Weld Plastic; my rear hatch handle snapped off in -20F, the plastic weld has fixed the hatch plastic for over a year, although it looks very ugly (plastic weld's grey color doesn't match the black laredo trim very well).

So I got a wood chisel out, smoothed out the seam area that had the leak, and mixed up some of the JB weld. Applied it to the plastic tank, waited 48 hours for a good cure, and Bingo! No leaks!

So if you're in a bind (offroading and hitting something hard enough to do some damage to the plastic bits on your radiator), it might behoove you to preemptively put a tube of JB Weld Plastic epoxy in your Jeep!

road_tripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.