Radiator failed, contaminated 545RFE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Radiator failed, contaminated 545RFE

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 09-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Jagged
1982 CJ7 

Radiator failed, contaminated 545RFE

I have a 2005 WK w/ the 5.7L and a month or so ago the Jeep went into limp mode and spewed transmission fluid out the filler/dipstick tube. We finally took it to get the codes and whatnot read today to find out that the radiator failed and contaminated the transmission with water.

The shop is quoting ~$4000 to do the entire job. I'm thinking I can pull the transmission and take that to someone to be rebuilt. I've heard these transmissions are pretty tough and an experienced rebuilder should be able to rebuild it.

Does anyone else have any experience with this issue? Should I just look for another transmission? I can find them locally via car-part.com for about $1000-1200.

Jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

That really sucks. I guess that you really need to make sure that the radiator is fine and replace at any sign of problems. Checking fluid levels and color regularly is the best chance that you have to prevent the issue. The alternative is to mount a transmission cooler outside of the radiator rather than integrated.

You are the first person that I have ever heard that had this issue.

Regarding fixing it, I would have tried flushing the fluid. If the transmission is already toast, then you have no choice but to replace it and the radiator. If it were me, I would do the radiator myself and have the vehicle then towed to a transmission shop other than the dealer to have the transmission replaced. That could cut your costs in half. You could also try to source a used or aftermarket rebuild that may save you more cash.

I killed the transmission on my ZJ. A local shop gave me a lifetime warranty for the same price as the dealer, which was way better than what the dealer was offering. The shop had me return once per year for free service to keep the warranty active. I got 140K miles on the new transmission before selling the ZJ to my brother. It is still good 13 years later.
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Jagged
1982 CJ7 

Yeah, I'm actually going to do most of the work myself. I'm going to drop the transmission and take it over to a well respected shop my neighbor told me about.

I think it's just a sign that I'm supposed to dig into this Jeep and build it up a bit. I really do like the vehicle aside from all the issues it's had so far.

Jagged is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.