post #1 of Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
virii01
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 31
Quote for suspension work...

A drove my wife's 2005 GC Limited the other day and noticed it rode like crap.

Took it into a local mechanic and was told the front struts are completely gone and the spring insulators are trashed. Was given a quote of $675 to replace the front struts and insulators and then $280 for the rear shocks (they were OK but may want to do all at the same time).

That's a good chuck of change but I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.
As far as replacement brands, is there anything out there close to or better than OEM for a daily driver? Thanks!

virii01 is offline  
post #2 of Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
partlowr
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 99
Sounds a bit high to me. Front struts(parts) will run you about $200 a pair for OEM or OEM quality aftermarket units. Rears will only cost about $80. He's hitting you pretty hard with labor unless he quoted you some upgraded Bilsteins or something along those lines. Rears are very easy to install on your own even if you have just average mechanical skills and simple tools and a jack and jack stands. I just replaced all mine(front & rear) and installed a RC 2" spacer lift with my brother in law on his WK in an afternoon in my garage.
partlowr is offline  
post #3 of Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
JRLT
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mitchell
Posts: 1,600
I got my Bilsteins shipped for $330, front & rear. Had a shop do the fronts and was charged $60 per strut. Installed the rears myself in 30 minutes. So, $450 total.

2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline  
post #4 of Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM
partlowr
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 99
As for your questions regarding OEM quality or sligh upgrade. I went will all monroe OEM stuff but Rancho offers the RS5826 which in my opinion is a slight upgrade over stock. The monroe OEM struts can be found for about $80 per side plus shipping if you shop around online a bit and the Rancho's run about $100 a side plus shipping. Rears should be about $40 per side for the OEm Monroe shocks, about $50 per side for Rancho and Bilsteins can be found for about $75 pers side.
partlowr is offline  
post #5 of Old 10-02-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
virii01
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 31
These were for KYB shocks/struts. Thanks guys.
virii01 is offline  
post #6 of Old 10-02-2012, 04:26 PM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
Sounds a bit high to me. Front struts(parts) will run you about $200 a pair for OEM or OEM quality aftermarket units. Rears will only cost about $80. He's hitting you pretty hard with labor unless he quoted you some upgraded Bilsteins or something along those lines. Rears are very easy to install on your own even if you have just average mechanical skills and simple tools and a jack and jack stands. I just replaced all mine(front & rear) and installed a RC 2" spacer lift with my brother in law in an afternoon in my garage.
Sound pretty normal for a shop.

They have to mark up the shocks,yes 4 shocks on a WK, to make money to pay bills.Then yes you got to pay labor and that is 1.5 hours plus .3 hours(x2) for the fronts and the extra labor to disassemble the front coilovers and re-assemble them so 2.1 hours total for the front.The labor for the rear .8 hours.Then you get to pay tax also and the hourly labor rate will vary on what part of the country your in.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #7 of Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
virii01
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Sound pretty normal for a shop.

They have to mark up the shocks,yes 4 shocks on a WK, to make money to pay bills.Then yes you got to pay labor and that is 1.5 hours plus .3 hours(x2) for the fronts and the extra labor to disassemble the front coilovers and re-assemble them so 2.1 hours total for the front.The labor for the rear .8 hours.Then you get to pay tax also and the hourly labor rate will vary on what part of the country your in.
Got the breakdown. They are charging me $176 each for the struts , 3 hours to replace those and the "spring isolators". $106 each for the rear shocks , .8 hours for those. $85 hr rate.
virii01 is offline  
post #8 of Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by virii01 View Post
Got the breakdown. They are charging me $176 each for the struts , 3 hours to replace those and the "spring isolators". $106 each for the rear shocks , .8 hours for those. $85 hr rate.
Dang 3 hours,wish I'd get paid 3 hours to change the front shocks on a WK,there a pain in the rear compared to most others that pay twice as much and take half the time.


I'm not sure what other shops do but the one I work at has a huge markup for aftermarket parts like KYB but is strictly limited to a 15% markup on dealer(OEM) parts.The typical shop markup,any shop, is anywhere from 100%-150% depending on item and why they can offer discounts and coupons.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #9 of Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 PM
partlowr
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Sound pretty normal for a shop.

They have to mark up the shocks,yes 4 shocks on a WK, to make money to pay bills.Then yes you got to pay labor and that is 1.5 hours plus .3 hours(x2) for the fronts and the extra labor to disassemble the front coilovers and re-assemble them so 2.1 hours total for the front.The labor for the rear .8 hours.Then you get to pay tax also and the hourly labor rate will vary on what part of the country your in.
Hey, I am all for capitalism and would expect a shop to male a profit but the prices he was quoted were more than just mere profit, it looks like a pretty greedy quote to me.
partlowr is offline  
post #10 of Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM
partlowr
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Dang 3 hours,wish I'd get paid 3 hours to change the front shocks on a WK,there a pain in the rear compared to most others that pay twice as much and take half the time.


I'm not sure what other shops do but the one I work at has a huge markup for aftermarket parts like KYB but is strictly limited to a 15% markup on dealer(OEM) parts.The typical shop markup,any shop, is anywhere from 100%-150% depending on item and why they can offer discounts and coupons.
....like I was saying, glad to see you even agree the quote looks high.
partlowr is offline  
post #11 of Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
Hey, I am all for capitalism and would expect a shop to male a profit but the prices he was quoted were more than just mere profit, it looks like a pretty greedy quote to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
....like I was saying, glad to see you even agree the quote looks high.
Sorry but I don't really pay all that much attention to prices.I just do the work so all I care about,and really look at, is the hours listed for the job because that is my pay check.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #12 of Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Theogriff15
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Weston
Posts: 839
Just as a reference, I live in MA so stuff is kind of $$ but I went to a customs shop near by and their regular rate is $89/hour. It took them about a day and a half to instal my Daystar 2" Lift, and new bilstein shocks, (front and rear.) so I'm assuming they worked for probably like 9-11 hours. That's in the ballpark of $1,000. Now I know the owner so I got it for about a third of that but I just wanted to give everyone a little view from my standpoint. Good luck with everything I'm sure it'll workout!

2006 - 3.7L, Superlift, 265 Guard Dogs, 30" LED Bar, Bilsteins, Spidertraxx, Solid, Hypertech, Rola, Rear Led, Led Tails, S4xC Skids
Theogriff15 is offline  
post #13 of Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 PM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
Just as a reference, I live in MA so stuff is kind of $$ but I went to a customs shop near by and their regular rate is $89/hour. It took them about a day and a half to instal my Daystar 2" Lift, and new bilstein shocks, (front and rear.) so I'm assuming they worked for probably like 9-11 hours. That's in the ballpark of $1,000. Now I know the owner so I got it for about a third of that but I just wanted to give everyone a little view from my standpoint. Good luck with everything I'm sure it'll workout!
That's about a 3 hour job,3.5 hour job with alignment.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #14 of Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Theogriff15
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Weston
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

That's about a 3 hour job,3.5 hour job with alignment.
They said they had never done anything like this before and only had one guy on it. Also got four tires mounted and balanced. They said something about everything being rusty, especially the bolts, which some of them they had to rethread. Either way I only paid around 300 so I was fine with it.

2006 - 3.7L, Superlift, 265 Guard Dogs, 30" LED Bar, Bilsteins, Spidertraxx, Solid, Hypertech, Rola, Rear Led, Led Tails, S4xC Skids
Theogriff15 is offline  
post #15 of Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Rob 99TJ
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen Park
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by virii01 View Post
That's a good chuck of change but I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.
As far as replacement brands, is there anything out there close to or better than OEM for a daily driver? Thanks!
I'd go with Bilsteins & Moog isolators if it were me. I'd buy them online and have someone install them if you can't do it yourself.

As far as price to install, it doesn't matter what anyone on this board thinks. If you have to pay someone to do it then you have to pay what they charge. Get 3 quotes and compare. Possibly negotiate the price but I doubt you'll have much success. Good luck.

99' TJ Gunmetal Blue Sport /w D30 No-Slip/D44 Trac-Loc, 5spd, 2" susp./1" body, 33"MT/R's/AR767's, Durabak, Currie, Warn

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline  
Reply

Tags
bilstein , kolak , shocks , wk


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
suspension work to be done coralman ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 10-11-2010 06:15 PM
Classic Suspension Question - Will This Work? HeliDoc ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 03-21-2009 11:59 AM
Most efficient way to work on front suspension? UTChavok ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 3 09-04-2008 07:55 PM
How to jack WJ unibody to work on suspension fringe ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 6 12-16-2007 03:44 AM
Suspension work to come Packy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 10-09-2004 10:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome