Quote for suspension work... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Quote for suspension work...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
virii01
2005 WK 

Quote for suspension work...

A drove my wife's 2005 GC Limited the other day and noticed it rode like crap.

Took it into a local mechanic and was told the front struts are completely gone and the spring insulators are trashed. Was given a quote of $675 to replace the front struts and insulators and then $280 for the rear shocks (they were OK but may want to do all at the same time).

That's a good chuck of change but I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.
As far as replacement brands, is there anything out there close to or better than OEM for a daily driver? Thanks!

virii01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
partlowr
2007 WK 

Sounds a bit high to me. Front struts(parts) will run you about $200 a pair for OEM or OEM quality aftermarket units. Rears will only cost about $80. He's hitting you pretty hard with labor unless he quoted you some upgraded Bilsteins or something along those lines. Rears are very easy to install on your own even if you have just average mechanical skills and simple tools and a jack and jack stands. I just replaced all mine(front & rear) and installed a RC 2" spacer lift with my brother in law on his WK in an afternoon in my garage.
partlowr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
JRLT
2010 WK 

I got my Bilsteins shipped for $330, front & rear. Had a shop do the fronts and was charged $60 per strut. Installed the rears myself in 30 minutes. So, $450 total.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
partlowr
2007 WK 

As for your questions regarding OEM quality or sligh upgrade. I went will all monroe OEM stuff but Rancho offers the RS5826 which in my opinion is a slight upgrade over stock. The monroe OEM struts can be found for about $80 per side plus shipping if you shop around online a bit and the Rancho's run about $100 a side plus shipping. Rears should be about $40 per side for the OEm Monroe shocks, about $50 per side for Rancho and Bilsteins can be found for about $75 pers side.
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
virii01
2005 WK 

These were for KYB shocks/struts. Thanks guys.
Unread 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlowr View Post
Sounds a bit high to me. Front struts(parts) will run you about $200 a pair for OEM or OEM quality aftermarket units. Rears will only cost about $80. He's hitting you pretty hard with labor unless he quoted you some upgraded Bilsteins or something along those lines. Rears are very easy to install on your own even if you have just average mechanical skills and simple tools and a jack and jack stands. I just replaced all mine(front & rear) and installed a RC 2" spacer lift with my brother in law in an afternoon in my garage.
Sound pretty normal for a shop.

They have to mark up the shocks,yes 4 shocks on a WK, to make money to pay bills.Then yes you got to pay labor and that is 1.5 hours plus .3 hours(x2) for the fronts and the extra labor to disassemble the front coilovers and re-assemble them so 2.1 hours total for the front.The labor for the rear .8 hours.Then you get to pay tax also and the hourly labor rate will vary on what part of the country your in.
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
virii01
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

They have to mark up the shocks,yes 4 shocks on a WK, to make money to pay bills.Then yes you got to pay labor and that is 1.5 hours plus .3 hours(x2) for the fronts and the extra labor to disassemble the front coilovers and re-assemble them so 2.1 hours total for the front.The labor for the rear .8 hours.Then you get to pay tax also and the hourly labor rate will vary on what part of the country your in.
Got the breakdown. They are charging me $176 each for the struts , 3 hours to replace those and the "spring isolators". $106 each for the rear shocks , .8 hours for those. $85 hr rate.
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by virii01 View Post
Got the breakdown. They are charging me $176 each for the struts , 3 hours to replace those and the "spring isolators". $106 each for the rear shocks , .8 hours for those. $85 hr rate.
Dang 3 hours,wish I'd get paid 3 hours to change the front shocks on a WK,there a pain in the rear compared to most others that pay twice as much and take half the time.

I'm not sure what other shops do but the one I work at has a huge markup for aftermarket parts like KYB but is strictly limited to a 15% markup on dealer(OEM) parts.The typical shop markup,any shop, is anywhere from 100%-150% depending on item and why they can offer discounts and coupons.
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
partlowr
2007 WK 

Quote:

Hey, I am all for capitalism and would expect a shop to male a profit but the prices he was quoted were more than just mere profit, it looks like a pretty greedy quote to me.
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
partlowr
2007 WK 

Quote:
Dang 3 hours,wish I'd get paid 3 hours to change the front shocks on a WK,there a pain in the rear compared to most others that pay twice as much and take half the time.

I'm not sure what other shops do but the one I work at has a huge markup for aftermarket parts like KYB but is strictly limited to a 15% markup on dealer(OEM) parts.The typical shop markup,any shop, is anywhere from 100%-150% depending on item and why they can offer discounts and coupons.
....like I was saying, glad to see you even agree the quote looks high.
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Hey, I am all for capitalism and would expect a shop to male a profit but the prices he was quoted were more than just mere profit, it looks like a pretty greedy quote to me.
Quote:
....like I was saying, glad to see you even agree the quote looks high.
Sorry but I don't really pay all that much attention to prices.I just do the work so all I care about,and really look at, is the hours listed for the job because that is my pay check.
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Just as a reference, I live in MA so stuff is kind of $$ but I went to a customs shop near by and their regular rate is $89/hour. It took them about a day and a half to instal my Daystar 2" Lift, and new bilstein shocks, (front and rear.) so I'm assuming they worked for probably like 9-11 hours. That's in the ballpark of $1,000. Now I know the owner so I got it for about a third of that but I just wanted to give everyone a little view from my standpoint. Good luck with everything I'm sure it'll workout!
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
Just as a reference, I live in MA so stuff is kind of $$ but I went to a customs shop near by and their regular rate is $89/hour. It took them about a day and a half to instal my Daystar 2" Lift, and new bilstein shocks, (front and rear.) so I'm assuming they worked for probably like 9-11 hours. That's in the ballpark of $1,000. Now I know the owner so I got it for about a third of that but I just wanted to give everyone a little view from my standpoint. Good luck with everything I'm sure it'll workout!
That's about a 3 hour job,3.5 hour job with alignment.
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

That's about a 3 hour job,3.5 hour job with alignment.
They said they had never done anything like this before and only had one guy on it. Also got four tires mounted and balanced. They said something about everything being rusty, especially the bolts, which some of them they had to rethread. Either way I only paid around 300 so I was fine with it.
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by virii01 View Post
That's a good chuck of change but I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.
As far as replacement brands, is there anything out there close to or better than OEM for a daily driver? Thanks!
I'd go with Bilsteins & Moog isolators if it were me. I'd buy them online and have someone install them if you can't do it yourself.

As far as price to install, it doesn't matter what anyone on this board thinks. If you have to pay someone to do it then you have to pay what they charge. Get 3 quotes and compare. Possibly negotiate the price but I doubt you'll have much success. Good luck.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bilstein , kolak , shocks , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.