A Question to Friends in the North - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > A Question to Friends in the North

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
brooklynaviator
2010 WK 

A Question to Friends in the North

this morning when i was headed out to the gym i noticed a strange noise inside the jeep as i was waiting for it to warm up a few degrees. it sounded like a faint squealing coming from the AC blower. it stopped eventually, but would be more pronounced when i braked. i guess it's attributed to the cold as it was -10C outside last night. my current apartment building doesn't offer indoor parking so the WK's stuck outside.

anyone ever experience this before? am i correct in assuming i's due to the cold?

Unread 01-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
BAH101
2008 WK 

Sounds like a squeaky fan. I get something similar when cold and the fan on a lower speed setting.
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Mine started doing this yesterday also. Does not change with braking however. And at -28*C (20 below F) I figure its the cold.....
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

I've noticed a similar thing with mine recently. I've been driving in single digits recently.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynaviator View Post
this morning when i was headed out to the gym i noticed a strange noise inside the jeep as i was waiting for it to warm up a few degrees. it sounded like a faint squealing coming from the AC blower. it stopped eventually, but would be more pronounced when i braked. i guess it's attributed to the cold as it was -10C outside last night. my current apartment building doesn't offer indoor parking so the WK's stuck outside.

anyone ever experience this before? am i correct in assuming i's due to the cold?
-10C , not too bad , I woke up to -40C this morning . It sucks when i don't have to convert C-F . If it's the blower fan , then the noise should change or go away if you change the speed .usually it's a sign the bearings on the fan are starting to go , but they can last for years like that .but If it starts to act up in the summer , change the fan out before winter. My serpintine belt will make a simmilar chirping/squeeling when it gets moist or if the snow is blowing through the rad (a drop of antifreeze on it will do it too ). that will change as you break because the noise will go away when the engine speeds up .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
brooklynaviator
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
-10C , not too bad , I woke up to -40C this morning . It sucks when i don't have to convert C-F . If it's the blower fan , then the noise should change or go away if you change the speed .usually it's a sign the bearings on the fan are starting to go , but they can last for years like that .but If it starts to act up in the summer , change the fan out before winter. My serpintine belt will make a simmilar chirping/squeeling when it gets moist or if the snow is blowing through the rad (a drop of antifreeze on it will do it too ). that will change as you break because the noise will go away when the engine speeds up .
this morning was a balmy -4C and no noise. it could have been the belt as well, as i did drive through a drift of snow before parking the night before last. this summer will be pretty busy with ma few mods coming so it'll definitely be winterized better for next winter.

thanks for the help all! sure am glad i don't live in minnesota...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.