JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Question about tire pressure sensors (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/question-about-tire-pressure-sensors-1560067/)

metalhead 08-09-2013 02:16 PM

Question about tire pressure sensors

I was wondering if anyone with an 08 grand cherokee has run into this problem. I work at a jeep dealership and replaced 4 tire pressure sensors on an 08 grand cherokee laredo. The computer would not recignize the sensors. Normally we would go into the witech scan tool and program the id numbers for the new sensors. When I pluged in the 08 grand cherokee there was no tab availiable to enter the id numbers for the new sensors. Yet the other day I replaced a sensor on an 07 grand cherokee and was able to program the new sensor id number. We have contacted chrysler about it and they had to get engineers involved. I was curious if anyone has run into this and if it was able to get fixed.
Thanks

jediknight 08-10-2013 10:27 AM

Try to go in the wcm ecu there you'll be able to access the tpms id. I think you can also set the threashold presure in there.

metalhead 08-10-2013 02:23 PM

Thats what I did and there was nothing to click on to program the new sensors. On the 07 grand cherokee I worked on several days ago you were able to go into the wcm and program the new sensors. Me and another tech worked on it most of the day and could not figure it out.

1dzlwk 08-10-2013 04:22 PM

Program the new sensors? According to VDO (the OEM sensor manufacturer for my '07), all you have to do is drive around for awhile and the system will figure out the new sensors all on it's own. Is this not correct?

metalhead 08-10-2013 04:55 PM

Well on the 08 I worked on I put almost 20 miles on it and it would not figure out the new sensors. I know I installed the right sensors because the parts department checked the part numbers with Chrysler. Some of the techs I work with say its the rubber sensors that cause the problem but I installed the metal sensors and the problem was still there. When you look at the data stream in the scan tool the original sensor id numbers are still there. To be honest Chryslers help center is not that great. That's why I started this thread. I have gotten some good info from forums. I wanted to see if anyone on here has a similar issue with a dealership installing new sensors and if they were able to fix the problem.

jediknight 08-10-2013 05:10 PM

Maybe the wcm ecu doesn't have the earliest update and needs a re-flash.... I think it was made bu Simens. Usualy its in wcm ecu miscelanius / other routine and there u can program sensor id. Check also on the home page for vehicle preparation.

metalhead 08-11-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jediknight (Post 15779457)
Maybe the wcm ecu doesn't have the earliest update and needs a re-flash.... I think it was made bu Simens. Usualy its in wcm ecu miscelanius / other routine and there u can program sensor id. Check also on the home page for vehicle preparation.

We did all that and still no luck.

GeeEssFore 08-11-2013 08:59 AM

We use a scanner called a bartech and have zero issues with all years.

Ditchd 08-12-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1dzlwk (Post 15779298)
Program the new sensors? According to VDO (the OEM sensor manufacturer for my '07), all you have to do is drive around for awhile and the system will figure out the new sensors all on it's own. Is this not correct?

My experience exactly on an 09.

After a puncture and change around a couple of sensors wouldn't play. Drove a while and one comeback , pretty hacked off parked up overnight and in the morning after a mile or so driving the spare stopped reporting problems.

Are they ran by Microsoft or something :D:D:D

jediknight 08-12-2013 11:02 AM

Here's another reference : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/tpms-1559298/

metalhead 08-24-2013 09:28 AM

Would you believe after 2 weeks after replacing the tire sensors the customer said the tpms light finally went out. I hate tire sensors. This one stumped me and chryslers tech support.

The time now is 01:44 AM.