Quadradrive II versus Quadratrac II - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Quadradrive II versus Quadratrac II

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
diver110
2009 WK 

Quadradrive II versus Quadratrac II

I generally understand the difference, limited slip with QDII, but what I am not clear on is where that would make a difference. That is, where can you go with QDII that you could not with QTII? I have hunted around, but never gotten a clear answer. Thoughts?

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
mattydipps
2006 WK 

yes the only difference is limited slip with QDII to the open slip with QTII

both will go just about anywhere you want to bring them the difference is i believe the quadradrive will perform better with less wheels on the ground then the quadratrac especially on an incline the QDII will push the truck with only having say two wheels on the ground faster, smoother, and with less strain than the QTII....

NOT saying you cant perform well with only 2-3 wheels on the ground with quadratrac, its the same with QTI vs QTII both will get you where you want to go .. just may take different steps to get there..
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
diver110
2009 WK 

How much difference is there when both are in "low." The Jeep web site makes them almost sound the same.
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

There's quite a bit of difference when the lockers are engaged.... primarily for steep climbs.

I was giving jager a hard time this weekend while we were wheeling because I crawled right up a few climbs with my 2" lifted Xk with 31s that took him a few attempts with his 8" lifted WK with 33s to accomplish. The difference was that QD2 won't slow down/stop on the incline when a tire loses traction; whereas the time delay for QT2 to transfer power via the brakes does, which is a killer on steep climbs.

In the end though, they're both great systems and I wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to get a QT2 rig..... but if given the option, QD2 is worth it IMO.
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
99FormulaM6
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
There's quite a bit of difference when the lockers are engaged.... primarily for steep climbs.

I was giving jager a hard time this weekend while we were wheeling because I crawled right up a few climbs with my 2" lifted Xk with 31s that took him a few attempts with his 8" lifted WK with 33s to accomplish. The difference was that QD2 won't slow down/stop on the incline when a tire loses traction; whereas the time delay for QT2 to transfer power via the brakes does, which is a killer on steep climbs.

In the end though, they're both great systems and I wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to get a QT2 rig..... but if given the option, QD2 is worth it IMO.
exactly my thoughts.

How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement for WK/XK
99FormulaM6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
modernblueWK

The qd2 is much better than qt2. Its like having a stock rubicon jk vs a sahara jk with rear lsd only. On the road they are the same, on an icy, snowy road the qd2 might be better or more likely to get yourself Out of the ditch without help. For the mild trails that i choose to explore with my family in my stockish rig, qt2 has been great. Mostly 4lo for steep climbs and descents to save the brakes.

I have never stuck my jeep off road. My wife got it stuck on a 3' snow pile on main street. The tires dug in and it was sitting on its belly. I had to yank it off with my zr2. I dont know if qd2 would have unstuck that situation.it had 2 rear tires spinning on ice and both fronts in the air.

Sometimes an open diff in unskilled hand is safer than lsd. I would rather my wife lose traction in a straight line on road than slide both locked tires sideways and put herself off road.

I had a choice of qd2 on a limited vs qt2 on my laredo x when i got mine. I chose the qt2 for longevity and cost of repairs/ reliability in 10 years. Which is debatable i know.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
GoGadgetWK
2010 WK 

This is what I understood when researching this back when I bought mine.QD2 is capable of putting power to all 4 wheels at the same time similar to air locker systems. I've been up steep loose dirt hills and seen it in action where all four tires are trying to get traction. That was also the first time I made it up the hill without needing a winch. To me it's the best factory off road system there is.

QT2 uses antilock brakes system to turn wheels, but not all wheels at the same time. It switches from right to left depending which has more traction. I seen one suck in a snow drift a few years ago and watched him try to get out of it. Seen the tires switching back and forth. That when I understood the difference.
-AFE stage 2 with grey filter-BFG TA KO 245/75R17-MB Gunner5 chrome 17"Rims 5.5 BKspce/25mm offset-Forks/Springs of 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Lift-Fabricated rear factory shock extensions-Custom made 1.5" rear bump stop spacers-Thule slide out Ski/Snowboard rack-Warn XD9000 winch with 2" hitch receiver-Fabricated front hitch receiver-5Warn offroad lights W/Fabricated removable lightbar
GoGadgetWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
modernblueWK

Yeah the brake system will slow or stop a spinnig wheel on both systems i believe. Where the qd2 shines is with esp off and in 4lo. With esp off the lsd diffs will kick in more when needed and i believe in 4lo the lockers kick in. Im not sure if the brake limited slip system is disabled or reduced in 4lo. I know that my brake limited slip still works pretty aggressively In 4lo. Ive seen it lock the front left and rear right in mud and moved the jeep with just the other 2 wheels.
Its pretty cool. Definitely slower going than qd2 but i still got where i was going. I think a qt2 with good off road tires will beat a qd2 with street tires in most offroad situations.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
GoGadgetWK
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
Im not sure if the brake limited slip system is disabled or reduced in 4lo. I know that my brake limited slip still works pretty aggressively In 4lo. Ive seen it lock the front left and rear right in mud and moved the jeep with just the other 2 wheels. Its pretty cool. Definitely slower going than qd2 but i still got where i was going. I think a qt2 with good off road tires will beat a qd2 with street tires in most offroad situations.
Limited slip still works. From what I've seen. There's a computer that puts more power to wheels with traction and barely spins wheels off the ground. If no wheels have traction. It puts equal power to all of them.

Your right that off-road tires make a difference of how good system works. Ground clearance also matters for making a vehicle off road capable. Since they lowered WK from WJ to capability also lowered in off-road or deep snow situations. QD2 doesn't help if you gets high centered on every rock you try and go over.
-AFE stage 2 with grey filter-BFG TA KO 245/75R17-MB Gunner5 chrome 17"Rims 5.5 BKspce/25mm offset-Forks/Springs of 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Lift-Fabricated rear factory shock extensions-Custom made 1.5" rear bump stop spacers-Thule slide out Ski/Snowboard rack-Warn XD9000 winch with 2" hitch receiver-Fabricated front hitch receiver-5Warn offroad lights W/Fabricated removable lightbar
GoGadgetWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
diver110
2009 WK 

Thanks for the additional feedback. A WK with QDII is not all that easy to find, it turns out.
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
modernblueWK

The computer stops or slows the spinning wheels which when combined with open diffs, sends power to the opposite wheel on that axle mechanically. Thats how it works in my qt2. This is the brake limited slip.

With the diff installed Limited slip units in qd2 i would think the brake limited slip system would get less abuse.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
modernblueWK

Read this: Jeep brake traction control explained. From the chrysler blog
Blue WK club #4
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
jager00
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post

i need a locker

2005 WK 9" lift on 37's with all the goodies- regretfully sold :(
jager00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager00 View Post
i need a locker
Get one......buy me one while you are at it....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
jager00
2005 WK 

Haha i dont even have enough money for my spare tire bro

2005 WK 9" lift on 37's with all the goodies- regretfully sold :(
jager00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.