Quadra-Trac I Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Quadra-Trac I Questions

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 04-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
gsxr150

Quadra-Trac I Questions

Last night we had a little snow, and I was playing around a bit with my rental. Here's a couple of questions for you guys.

1) With traction control on or off, I hear some noises like griding as the different wheels are trying to spin. Obviously that's normal, but what is going on?

2) Will the rear diff ever lock, or is it one wheel wonder...per say.

3) With traction control off, could a guy kick the tail end out? Not saying I want to beat my jeep just wondering if you can play without the brakes automatically kicking in.

Thanks

gsxr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

1 - Probably the ABS doing the Brake Assisted Traction Control

2 - Never, it is wide open. QD-II has the electronic LSD.

3 - Probably never on dry pavement but on an extremely slippery surface it is possible. With QD-II and ESP turned off I had to work extremely hard to get it to kick out. However I am trained on vehicle control and would not recommend doing these kinds of things in any SUV.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
anerbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman141
1 - Probably the ABS doing the Brake Assisted Traction Control

2 - Never, it is wide open. QD-II has the electronic LSD.

3 - Probably never on dry pavement but on an extremely slippery surface it is possible. With QD-II and ESP turned off I had to work extremely hard to get it to kick out. However I am trained on vehicle control and would not recommend doing these kinds of things in any SUV.

I agree with drewman - in my QDII 5.7, you can slide it out on a wet surface, and even dry if the road is smooth enough, but with the 4wd, and the roll center, the vehicle reactions can be very twitchy and abrupt. i only recommend it in snow/ice conditions. the slight bias to the rear (few %) helps kick out the rear when the ground is slippery.
Unread 04-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
goose1

to fully turn off the ESP you have to hold button for like 10 seconds. if you just tap the button it only turns off a portion of the ESP.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
goose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman141
1 - 2 - Never, it is wide open. QD-II has the electronic LSD.
Really, QT-II has an LSD? i'm not complaining because that is my system, but i thought it just had BCTS like the QT-I. I'm real happy if that is true.

Unread 04-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
gsxr150

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1
to fully turn off the ESP you have to hold button for like 10 seconds. if you just tap the button it only turns off a portion of the ESP.
Ahh, that's what I was looking for...turning everything off.

Thanks for the replies...that was very helpfull.
gsxr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1
Really, QT-II has an LSD? i'm not complaining because that is my system, but i thought it just had BCTS like the QT-I. I'm real happy if that is true.

My bad that was QD-I with the mechanical LSD. You are correct BTCS is what you have. I retract my original statement.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
goose1

damn...i got all excited for nothing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.