Quadra-Trac I - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Quadra-Trac I

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 05-05-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
code4code5
2006 WK 

Quadra-Trac I

I've done a bit of wheeling in my day, but I recently sold the 91 "billy goat" Wrangler and got a 06 Grand with Quarda-Trac I. I was thinking that I wouldn't do much wheeling at this point in my life, but now I'm really curious as to what kind of capability I can expect from the system.

I'm looking for a little experience... has anyone done any wheeling with this system, and how did it work for you? Can I trust it on a trail rated "moderate," or should I stick to "easy?" Any input would be appreciated!

code4code5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
T-Rated

Which engine do you have? I have a 4.7 and have done "moderate" trails without going into low gear, but the QuadraDrive system I have does do a bit more for power transfer.

Regardless on the difficulty of the trail, though, you shouldn't be out alone. So with a buddy and a tow strap, give the moderate trails a try.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

its ok with the 3.7, but i wanted to do more wheeling, so i screwed up when i bought it. i really wish i either had lower gearing or a lo range, but i have neither. i find i get stopped easily when running rougher obstacles at lower speeds, and i need to go faster than i would normally want to. i cant crawl stuff. personally i hate it. it works ok for light moderate stuff, and hill climes, and any thing a 2wd can do, but for the more rocky stuff it sucks. ... but thats my opinion, i just think it's the wrong vehicle for me.
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
tednelson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
code4code5
2006 WK 

Thanks for the input. I do have the 3.7 and we're planning an excursion for late July (when most of the snow should be melted off the trails in the Rockies west of Denver.) Nothing heavy, just a nice family trail. I'm looking forward to putting it through some paces and see what happens. I just hope I'm not too embarassed by the two TJ's that are coming! I can't wait to get a good Jeep nature pic, as is tradition with the five other Jeeps that have been in the family.
Unread 05-16-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

i went out last weekend on a higher-end moderate trail, and kept up just fine with my stock GC. i went over some stuff that surprised the hell out of me when i found i was able to make it over it! i had no idea it was capable of doing that. did some mild rock climbing, some articulation obstacles, some V-notch stuff, mild hill climbs. i am still only running the H/T street tires that my used WK came with, set the pressure at 16 front/20 rear(went too low on the first front tire by mistake, so we went with it) and even than the BTCS was working alot, but i can say that it works beautifully. i have had the thing since February, but this was my first club run with it, and i was floored by how well it did. i cant wait to see how well it does once i figure out how to change out the single speed transfer-case with a better one. one more thing, if you care about cosmetics, i suggest you be careful, and also armor the thing, i don't yet have rock rails, and came down hard on a rock and bent the fender really good. good thing i don't consider this thing to be the luxury car my dad thinks it to be.
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Unread 05-16-2007, 01:10 AM   #6
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

oops, double post

i will add that i was able to keep up pretty well with the heavily modded Jeeps that were there, i even lead them at one point, and had an easier time with some stuff than they did, LOL!

Last edited by tednelson83; 05-16-2007 at 01:24 AM..
Unread 05-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Dabitz

I have the XK with the QT1, I am very impressed with what it can do. I knew from the beginning that the QT1 system is not a rock climber, but I am indeed very impressed on what it can do on deep snow, steep lose dirt hills, etc. For hardcore offroading you will need at least QT2.

QT1 will allow for the axles to travel at different speeds, so if your front axles slips, the rear kicks in with the torque. It is not a simple AWD system as most people might think where your only benefit is to have additional traction, it is more complex than that.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz
QT1 will allow for the axles to travel at different speeds, so if your front axles slips, the rear kicks in with the torque. It is not a simple AWD system as most people might think where your only benefit is to have additional traction, it is more complex than that.
yea, but it still sucks!
Unread 05-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
gornoman
2006 WK 

If the trails are rated "Easy/Moderate/Difficult", as they are in some guidebooks, then the "Moderate" trails will require 4-Low for climbing. But different scales could have different requirements.
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #10
code4code5
2006 WK 

Thanks, guys. Looking back on wheeling with my Wrangler, the main thing I got out of 4LO was speed control. With all the electronic TC gadgets in the GC, I'm really looking forward to being suprised of the capibility.
Unread 05-19-2007, 11:59 PM   #11
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednelson83
yea, but it still sucks!
Weren't you looking into getting a QTII?
YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.