JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Quadra-Trac I (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/quadra-trac-i-411159/)

code4code5 05-05-2007 10:14 PM

Quadra-Trac I

I've done a bit of wheeling in my day, but I recently sold the 91 "billy goat" Wrangler and got a 06 Grand with Quarda-Trac I. I was thinking that I wouldn't do much wheeling at this point in my life, but now I'm really curious as to what kind of capability I can expect from the system.

I'm looking for a little experience... has anyone done any wheeling with this system, and how did it work for you? Can I trust it on a trail rated "moderate," or should I stick to "easy?" Any input would be appreciated!

T-Rated 05-05-2007 11:26 PM

Which engine do you have? I have a 4.7 and have done "moderate" trails without going into low gear, but the QuadraDrive system I have does do a bit more for power transfer.

Regardless on the difficulty of the trail, though, you shouldn't be out alone. So with a buddy and a tow strap, give the moderate trails a try.

tednelson83 05-06-2007 09:34 PM

its ok with the 3.7, but i wanted to do more wheeling, so i screwed up when i bought it. i really wish i either had lower gearing or a lo range, but i have neither. i find i get stopped easily when running rougher obstacles at lower speeds, and i need to go faster than i would normally want to. i cant crawl stuff. personally i hate it. it works ok for light moderate stuff, and hill climes, and any thing a 2wd can do, but for the more rocky stuff it sucks. ... but thats my opinion, i just think it's the wrong vehicle for me.

code4code5 05-15-2007 09:37 PM

Thanks for the input. I do have the 3.7 and we're planning an excursion for late July (when most of the snow should be melted off the trails in the Rockies west of Denver.) Nothing heavy, just a nice family trail. I'm looking forward to putting it through some paces and see what happens. I just hope I'm not too embarassed by the two TJ's that are coming! I can't wait to get a good Jeep nature pic, as is tradition with the five other Jeeps that have been in the family.

tednelson83 05-16-2007 01:08 AM

i went out last weekend on a higher-end moderate trail, and kept up just fine with my stock GC. i went over some stuff that surprised the hell out of me when i found i was able to make it over it! i had no idea it was capable of doing that. did some mild rock climbing, some articulation obstacles, some V-notch stuff, mild hill climbs. i am still only running the H/T street tires that my used WK came with, set the pressure at 16 front/20 rear(went too low on the first front tire by mistake, so we went with it) and even than the BTCS was working alot, but i can say that it works beautifully. i have had the thing since February, but this was my first club run with it, and i was floored by how well it did. i cant wait to see how well it does once i figure out how to change out the single speed transfer-case with a better one. one more thing, if you care about cosmetics, i suggest you be careful, and also armor the thing, i don't yet have rock rails, and came down hard on a rock and bent the fender really good. good thing i don't consider this thing to be the luxury car my dad thinks it to be. :D

tednelson83 05-16-2007 01:10 AM

oops, double post

i will add that i was able to keep up pretty well with the heavily modded Jeeps that were there, i even lead them at one point, and had an easier time with some stuff than they did, LOL!

Dabitz 05-17-2007 03:18 PM

I have the XK with the QT1, I am very impressed with what it can do. I knew from the beginning that the QT1 system is not a rock climber, but I am indeed very impressed on what it can do on deep snow, steep lose dirt hills, etc. For hardcore offroading you will need at least QT2.

QT1 will allow for the axles to travel at different speeds, so if your front axles slips, the rear kicks in with the torque. It is not a simple AWD system as most people might think where your only benefit is to have additional traction, it is more complex than that.

tednelson83 05-17-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz
QT1 will allow for the axles to travel at different speeds, so if your front axles slips, the rear kicks in with the torque. It is not a simple AWD system as most people might think where your only benefit is to have additional traction, it is more complex than that.

yea, but it still sucks! :p

gornoman 05-18-2007 10:20 PM

If the trails are rated "Easy/Moderate/Difficult", as they are in some guidebooks, then the "Moderate" trails will require 4-Low for climbing. But different scales could have different requirements.

code4code5 05-19-2007 07:59 AM

Thanks, guys. Looking back on wheeling with my Wrangler, the main thing I got out of 4LO was speed control. With all the electronic TC gadgets in the GC, I'm really looking forward to being suprised of the capibility.

YB Normyl 05-19-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tednelson83
yea, but it still sucks! :p

Weren't you looking into getting a QTII?

The time now is 09:55 AM.