Quadra-Trac 1 questions, good or no good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Quadra-Trac 1 questions, good or no good?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
79bigmack

Quadra-Trac 1 questions, good or no good?

I found an '08 GC V-6 that has the full time 4x4 Quadra-trac 1 transfer case and 3.07 gears.
  • Is the QT1 transfer case any good?
  • How well does it really do in snow and off road?
  • Does the brake traction control work well?

Too bad they don't offer the trail rated pkg with the V-6
  • Can I add the skid plates and tow hooks later?
  • Does anyone make a limited slip diff that would work well in this set up?
  • Has anyone swapped the 3.07 gears for 3.54 or 3.73s?

Just thinking down the road...i would at least want to add some skids and a 2 inch BB lift.

Thanks!

2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4 :(
2004 Discovery :(
2003 F-150 4x4
79bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Acidcold
2005 WK 

I would stick with a quadra trac 2 if you plan on giving her a mud bath down the road.
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

i agree, i wish i had known it existed when i got mine. that said, the QT1 system works quite well fore the more mild stuff, but when you get in to the really nasty stuff it would be nice to have the option to go in to 4 lo. i will say that the traction control is amazing. that is one feature that i love. while it is not quite as effective as lockers would be, it does help to get over stuff that would be im possible with out it. even works well enough that even with two wheels off the ground/in a low traction situation you can keep moving. as for snow performance...not a clue, never driven any thing but a school bus in the stuff.

tow hooks, skids, yes they can be added.
i have not seen an LSD/lockers setup yet.
and gears, i suppose you could get what ever jeep had as an option, but i dont believe the aftermarket has any for us yet.
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
tednelson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
sabre364
2007 WK 

Hooks are easily added. The fronts require you to take off the front bumper though. At least thats how it is with the 05-07. So you will need a plastic rivet gun if you do it yourself.

For the skids, it is possible but probably costs a bundle (at least for the fuel tank skid and correspondingly the transfer case skidplate-since one part is bolted on to the fuel tank skidplate). Your 3.7 should come with some plastic 'skids', more like brush guards IMO. The metal skids are expensive to ship, so your only real option is the dealer. The problem comes with the fuel tank skidplate, the fuel tank must be dropped to install that part.

I think gears just aren't worth it, might as well drop the extra money and get the new 4.7 with QTII standard. Ditto with trying to install the two speed transfer case...totally not worth it, just get a 4.7 from the get go.

Do you plan on doing a lot of mudding or rock crawling? Having a low range is almost essential for that. If you plan on just road driving with some gravel/dirt roads and bad weather on this side, QTI is more than enough. It is a decent awd system. In regular operation (not 4lo) it is IDENTICAL to QTII. Quadra-drive II is a whole 'nother story. It is an awesome system.

I have yet to try it out in the snow (just picked her up this spring), but I am sure it will do fine. Anybody with QTII and QTI can chime in on this question. The biggest complaint seems to be getting high-centered because of the relatively low clearance of the WK. Tires make a much bigger difference than any fancy 4wd system. For snow driving I'd much rather have a set of dedicated snows than have QTII or even QDII with regular all seasons.

Personally, I think you will be fine unless you really get into taking her off road. I do lots of road driving in one of the snowiest areas in the country...unless you count up top of some mountain in Colorado. I also do a lot of backpacking and need to get up seasonal use highways in all conditions. I was honestly considering a subaru outback (great clearance and awd) since I have experience with a subie. I am a little careful now with my jeep, because its newer and nicer than any car I've had, but I've never hesitated to toss the old subie (legacy gt wagon) into any conditions I ever encountered. So for my usage, the AWD QTI is fine. Sure, I would have liked to have the low range transfer case, but it isn't essential and I know with full time 4wd/awd + snows its much easier (and safer if you don't drive like an idiot) to drive in the winter than many other suvs out there with their 2hi/4hi/4lo transfer cases.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
gornoman
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bigmack View Post

Too bad they don't offer the trail rated pkg with the V-6

Read my signature below. I have a 2006, did they stop offering that combination? Big mistake if they did....
Blue WK Club Member #15
My other passion - WWW.buggiesgonewild.com
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
79bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Read my signature below. I have a 2006, did they stop offering that combination? Big mistake if they did....
Not sure when they stopped, but they don't offer it now. I would have ordered one otherwise.

I just picked up the new GC last night. I went with the white / tan "E" pkg, V-6, 4x4 (QT-I), with pop equip grp, conv grp, sun/sound grp, and class II hitch...i checked under it -- it has a steel gas tank skid and what looks to be a steel plate (with some holes it it for service?) inbetween the front A arms. No transfer case skid and no oil pan skid....
2003 F-150 4x4
Unread 06-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Congrats! Post up some pics!

I'm sure you'll be fine with the QT-1. Mine works great...I'm on-road 98% of the time, and it's worked great. 4-LO would be nice, but not essential for me. That said, I still don't know why Jeep even made QT-1 for the WK? The WJs had Full-Time 4WD, 4-HI, 4-LO, and RWD (Select-Trac, I believe). If they only offered 2WD, QT-2 and QD-2 it would have been fine, I think. Oh well...I still like mine!
Unread 06-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #8
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

they say they wanted a more entry level for people who didnt want to fiddle with the extra button or something like that. but i agree, i wish i had at least QT2.
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Unread 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
79bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednelson83 View Post
they say they wanted a more entry level for people who didnt want to fiddle with the extra button or something like that. but i agree, i wish i had at least QT2.
Mee to...they should have made the a V-6 trail-rated option on the '08....sucks.

Anyone know what size the "213mm" (i think) rear axle is? Is it a Dana 35, 44, or maybe a 8.25? Just thinking about aftermarket stuff already...gears, limited slip...

My '04 Discovery had a similar AWD w/ brake traction control set up (but with center diff lock and low range), and some guys added rear limited slips to them -- and they preformed wonderfully together. I wonder how the QT-I would do with a mechanical rear limited slip.
2003 F-150 4x4
Unread 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
08WKJGC
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Anyone know what size the "213mm" (i think) rear axle is? Is it a Dana 35, 44, or maybe a 8.25? Just thinking about aftermarket stuff already...gears, limited slip....

I believe it is a 8.25, but I could be wrong.
Unread 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
CEPCNC
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WKJGC View Post
I believe it is a 8.25, but I could be wrong.
It's a Corporate 8.27"....I asked an engineer in one of the sessions on here and he said it was just a hair weaker than a 44.
CEPCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
79bigmack

…8.27in rear axle. Thanks!

Okay, I have a proposal here…Please share your thoughts. I just read the manual last night so I think most of what I am stating is accurate…Thanks in advance….I’m sure there are lots of people out there with the same vehicle and would like to know what upgrades they can do to it.

QUESTION>> In short, can I add the Jeep electronic limited slip differential (ELSD) to the front and rear axle of my Quadra-Trac I (QT-I) equipped ’08 Grand Cherokee 4x4? Or at a minimum, can I add the ELSD to the rear axle?

Known:
- The front and rear axles are the same on the Quadra-Trac I, QT-II, and Quadra-Drive (QD) jeeps with the difference being the transfer cases.
- QT-II and QD jeeps share the same transfer case (but the QD has the front and rear ELSDs)
- The ELSDs require no driver input
- *Not under discussion is the center coupling found in the QT-II and QD t-cases…I don’t think that can be added to the QT-I b/c they are completely different t-cases…right?

Unknown:
- Most vehicles nowadays are pre-wired for lots of factory options. Since the three transfer cases in discussion share the same axles – do you think they are pre-wired for the ELSDs?
- Is a ELSD “plug-and-play”
- The Jeep is designed to work with the ELSD on certain models, so would adding ELSDs require some changes to the computer?

If none of the above is an option, does anyone make a mechanical (drop-in) limited slip diff for the 8.27 yet?

Thanks!
2003 F-150 4x4
Unread 06-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #13
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

If none of the above is an option, does anyone make a mechanical (drop-in) limited slip diff for the 8.27 yet?

Thanks!
you could just get another diff from the dealer as a spare, and make a Lincoln Locker.
i haven't seen anything out there for the 8.27 yet. i suppose it is possible to pull a Dana 44 out from under an SRT8 (or i believe some of the 2WD wk's came with them too) swap the 8.27 out for it, and than you would have more options.

as for adding the ELSD system, i know there is a computer module that is needed to operate them, and the QT1 cars didn't come with it. I'm also not aware of anyone at all that has added the system yet. being electronic, i don't see why one couldn't just wire a switch up to one to make it work with out the computer, but i don't have the schematic in front of me to see if that would work.
Unread 06-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
CEPCNC
2005 WK 

you can pour through the first engineering chat session on here...I believ it was from last year or something and I asked the engineer what it would take to do it. All the neccessary wiring and harnesses are in the vehicles no matter if its QT1, QT2, or QD2. The wiring you would have to do is very extensive work and would require the dealership most likely. As far as getting all the components to do the job would be easily done for the axle(different ratios front and rear) transfer case(ive seen these on eBay a few times), but you would have to get all of the part numbers from the electrical devices as well. that is the hard part of it all.

I'm hoping to see ARB come out with the long-awaited air locker. since we with the QT1 case have the very basic package it would be much easier to mate the locker....considering if there are no electrical problems afterward. these systems are really finicky.

Last edited by CEPCNC; 06-06-2008 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: not to mention VIN information changes and reprogramming to the jeeps computer system-all need done at the dealership
CEPCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #15
79bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEPCNC View Post
you can pour through the first engineering chat session on here...I believ it was from last year or something and I asked the engineer what it would take to do it. All the neccessary wiring and harnesses are in the vehicles no matter if its QT1, QT2, or QD2. The wiring you would have to do is very extensive work and would require the dealership most likely. As far as getting all the components to do the job would be easily done for the axle(different ratios front and rear) transfer case(ive seen these on eBay a few times), but you would have to get all of the part numbers from the electrical devices as well. that is the hard part of it all.

I'm hoping to see ARB come out with the long-awaited air locker. since we with the QT1 case have the very basic package it would be much easier to mate the locker....considering if there are no electrical problems afterward. these systems are really finicky.
I would consider a air locker or a e-Locker knowing now how much wiring would be involved in adding the Jeep ELSD...I'd also like some lower gears too....maybe 3.54s...(still want to keep the mpgs up).
2003 F-150 4x4

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.