Quadra drive & Quadra drive 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Quadra drive & Quadra drive 2

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
wccf91

Quadra drive & Quadra drive 2

what's the difference between quadra drive & quadra drive 2 ? I have Quadra Drive (R)

wccf91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
XKPearl

Quadra-DriveII

Quadra-DriveII uses the new NV245 transfer case, the new 790AAM front axle, and the new 830AAM rear axle, w/ the new Eaton E-Locker both front and rear. This new E-Locker goes from open diff to limited slip to full lock via input from driveshaft torque and also to full lock via driver's input. It is a very robust system.

XKPearl
XKPearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
wccf91

So does that mean my Quadra Drive elec LTD slip Diff frt/Rr Suck?
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
XKPearl

Your Quadra-Drive is on-demand; utilizes a gerotor coupling in the Quadra-Trac II transfer case and in the Vari-Lok front and rear progressive axles to send torque to the front driveshaft and/or from side-to-side within each axle when wheel slippage occurs; includes low-range (2:72:1) single-lever transfer case mode operation. It is not a bad system, but it is not in the same league as the Quadra-DriveII.

In an open diff system the power will be sent to the wheel that is slipping, this would be bad when stuck in the sand or in a hole as all the power will be sent to the spinning wheel.

Limited slip helps overcome this to a point but even this will be overcome by torque and will send the power to the spinning wheel as well.

The locker system will ensure that power gets to both wheels. This new Eaton system not only is a locker but also works as an open diff and a limited slip diff. Therefore, you turn corners on the highway like an open, go to limited slip in intermediate conditions and can go full lock in extreme conditions.

XKPearl
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
wccf91

Looks like Im buying a locker! I hate Lim Slip,,,,, I have a 72 K5 383 stroke with detroits in dana 60 & 44.... I just dont know these new car systems, Any lockers for Commanders out yet? Or how much cash am I looking at to upgrade to the quad 2 system ? Thanks for the info.
Unread 08-27-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
JeepCollector

wccf91,

Are you comparing QuadraTrac II and QuadraDrive II? The difference between those is only the ELSD's in the axles which work great as XKPearl said. QuadraDrive was an option in the 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee.

As far as converting I don't think it's that easy - the ELSD differentials are wider so they won't fit in the open axles. Plus you have to have wiring and a module to control them. The Chrysler Corporate 8 1/4" rear axle may have some aftermarket lockers, but the Chrysler Corporate 200mm front axle is new so there aren't even gears available yet, let alone any lockers.
JeepCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #7
XKPearl

If it makes you feel better, I have the Quadra-TracII on my XK. I considered the Quadra-DriveII but felt uncomfortable w/ a front locker that the driver could not shut-off/disable. You can turn it on at will but by design it will go to full lock by driveshaft torque. These new AAM axles are near bullet proof but I was concerned that it would put too much strain on the half shafts when locked on a hard surface such as rocks (because the XK weighs so much).

The Quadra-TracII uses open front and rear diffs. I will install an ARB rear locker (these are due out shortly) and leave the front diff open. This should serve my needs well. As for yours, the sky is the limit on options if you feel they're truly needed.

XKPearl
Unread 08-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #8
XKPearl

I just caught JeepCollectors post, I thought you were talking about the old Quadra-Drive system. If you are talking about the XKs Quadra-Trac system, then that is an entire different ball game. The Quadra-Trac doesn't even have a 4WD transfer case. This system is more akin to a single speed full time AWD system.

XKPearl
Unread 08-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
wccf91

No I am Talking about Quadra-Drive... My Window sticker says
Quadra-Drive(R) 4WD System. Also mine is a 2006 Commander LTD 5.7 .. So does that mean I have Quadra Drive II ?

Last edited by wccf91; 08-27-2006 at 12:27 PM..
Unread 08-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
JeepCollector

There is only one QuadraDrive system on Commanders so you have it. It says on the shifter somewhere, but to check for sure there should be an electrical connector on the top of each axle.
Unread 08-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
wccf91

Cool !!! Score!! I Knew I bought the Dealer Demo For A Reason! Thanks for the Info !
Unread 08-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
XKPearl

I think your system (Quadra-DriveII) is about as bomb proof as it comes from the factory. If you look up American Axle Manufacturing (AAM) and Eaton (E-Locker) you can find more detail on your axles/diff than what comes from Jeep. These axles are reported to be stronger than DANA and easier to work on. You may even see these axles replace the DANA in the JKs at some point.

XKPearl
Unread 08-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #13
JeepCollector

Actually both axles are Chrysler Corporate axles - Eaton does supply the differentials. I think the Commander/Grand Cherokee and the new Wrangler are full-floating axles in the rear which is cool.
Unread 08-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
XKPearl

The Quadra-DriveII uses the new American Axle Manufacturing (AAM) axles front and rear. You'll notice that the rear has a 12bolt cover. They are designated AAM730 and AAM830 IIRC. My Quadra-TracII uses a Chrysler 8.25" rear axle w/ an open diff. To the best of my knowledge Eaton does not make an E-Locker to fit the Chrysler axle. The big three have switched to the new AAM axle for their HD applications. I think Dodge started using them on their Hemi pickups a short while ago.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/roadtests/154_0412_gran/

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/eventco...commander.html

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod1.htm

XKPearl
Unread 08-27-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
wccf91

Thanks for the links They help & hurt at the same time. Did not like reading about the ground clearence.... Looks Like bigger tires Is the only way to go. (I do plan on Going off road alot) Also looks like cutting the fender wells is the only way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.