quadra drive II or quadra trac II 2008 WK ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > quadra drive II or quadra trac II 2008 WK ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
bill.rivard

quadra drive II or quadra trac II 2008 WK ?

Great deal on 2008 WK Limited but it has Quadra Trac II not Quadra Dive II. Colorado roads including lots of mountain snow but very little hard core off-road. Does it matter? Reliability? Thanks!

bill.rivard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
insmanblue

As long as it is a 4x4 the QTII should work fine. I would buy a set of good A/T tires though. I am going to buy the Goodyear Triple Treads within the next month as these received the number one all around rated tire at Tire Rack.
Unread 11-02-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
Marcus86GLHS

+1.

tires, more than locking differentials, make the most difference thru unplowed snow. the 2008 stock tires are not the best snow tire available so a quick swap of a better snow tire in that QTII WK and you'll be fine.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have the QTII and it is great. But keep in mind the QTII has 4 wheel traction control and works very well. Kinda like limited slips in the front and rear.

Last edited by onlyone; 11-12-2008 at 07:55 PM..
onlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
Hangloose
2006 WK 

Tyres make a big difference so if you will be using the GC in snow then good winter tyres or deeper tread A/T's would improve things.

QT2 utilises the electronic traction control which brakes the individual slipping wheel sending power back to the opposite wheel etc.... this system still has low ratio which locks the centre diff if needed so its very capable.

QD2 is better but you would need some really slippery terrain to prove it.....
Hangloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
dsljeep
2008 WK 

QT vs. GDII

I have a 1996 Grand w/QT1 and have driven in snow deep enough to push with the bumper wearing 30" studded open lug tread. It just keeps going. I once got in an icy situation on a slop with other vehicles while wearing my studs and walked out of what they slid into, the ditch and each other. One time I was off roading with a Chevy Blazer (80's) who was wearing 35" tires and he got stuck where I just plowed out of...using my Grand's open tread tires. I also have a 2008 Hemi Grand with GDII because I wanted the tops and paid for it too by a higher sticker price than I could have gotten one with QT. So far on pavement they both act the same. I believe QT is better but my other w/QT1 never failed to make me smile with confidece. With QDII you need to shut off the ESP system to enable deep snow driving because it will slow you down in snow (I'm told). QDII has 3 high range settings and one low range setting plus hill descent control (only while down hill driving). In low, the center diff is locked, each axel can fully lock as needed by the system, but you can't lock the front or rear yourself, they do the work for you. Hope this helps.
dsljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Spotz
2008 WK 

I live just north of Denver, and I have the QTII also. If you don't do any heavy-duty off-road driving then you'll be fine with a good set of A/T tires. Just be careful around the icy spots.
Spotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

QTII and a good set of tires will serve you fine. While the lockers may help in hard core off road situations, you will rarely be in a situation where you actually need them.

One disclaimer-in older Jeep models you could apply the poorman's locker by applying a little brake to ensure a slipping wheel actually got power. but with the WK's, the power is cut when you apply brake. However if the QTII system actually works properly, it will automatically apply brake power and give you an artificial light "limited slip" effect.

After selling my wrangler, I know my WK won't ever be off road (real trails, not fire roads) so I have no need for QDII. I will invest in a great set of tires instead.
Unread 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
tbm5690
2001 WJ 

I'm in Monument and the QTII system not only funcrtions well but makes it FUN to whip around the icy turns with loads of traction. x2 on having a set of good tires.
Unread 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
sabre364
2007 WK 

QTII is fine for your uses. If you are doing little 'off road' driving and limiting it to gravel, dirt, unplowed 'seasonal use highways' - now that's an optimistic name, forest service trails, etc I would definitely recommend proper SNOW tires not A/Ts. Once you grind down your stockers, replace them with a good set of A/Ts (or even highway tires for your use) for the warmer months.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
bill.rivard

can't find it

Three questions:

1) Why can I not figure out how to start a thread with a new question on this site ???? I must be blind...

2) 2008 GC mygig might need nav update - dealer is clueless. I cannot find a recent (2009) discussion anywhere. Is this a dealer-installed update, a download from Harmon Becker, a purchased CD, what?? Seems it should not be that hard to find out! Mine is 9.713

3) What's the latest on overriding the in-motion lockout for address entry on the Nav? I see a hack out there but looks sketchy?

Sorry but 2 hrs of web and JF research yields almost nothing.

Any help appreciated!

B in CO
Unread 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
1) Why can I not figure out how to start a thread with a new question on this site ???? I must be blind...
At the bottom of the main WK/XK technical section page there's a blue "new thread" button:

-------

I don't know much about MyGig, but it looks like they're on version 9.807.
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #13
bill.rivard

Thanks for the help!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.