Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Purchasing tires A/T or M/T for 05 WK 4x4 4.7L

775 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  nateb66_ 
#1 ·
Went off roading and got a flat on my stock tires. I'm due for a new set, stock has about 10 k left on tread. Do a lot of highway driving to work and majority of miles driven. I have a 2" OME suspension lift front and rear. Looking to up the size of my tires to 265/70/17 Light truck Cooper ATP all terrains. Was wondering if they are a solid buy. Want a tire that can handle plenty of highway as well as handle off roading when I get away on the weekends. Any suggestions? Was also told by Discount Tire that I might need to trim inner plastic behind bumper on front tires. Any suggestions on which tire to buy that actually looks and performs off road as well as city well would be great. Thanks!

#2 ·
You should be able to clear a 265/70R17 with the pinch weld mod and reforming the inner liner. As far as a tire that works on and off road, I'd recommend the BFG AT KO2 or the General Grabber AT2. They're pretty decent on road, with a nice tread pattern with good channeling. They're a bit noisy, but wear is great on both. They're also a proven tread pattern off road, and will perform well in all dry terrain environments. My Grabber AT2s struggle a bit in mud, but that's about it.

I can't speak for the performance of Coopers, but I've ridden on a variety of tire types. Mud terrains tend to be very loud and wear quickly, and don't perform well on road. Because they're meant to grab deep mud, they tend to hydroplane more often. An all terrain will perform better on road, though definitely still not as well as a proper highway all season.

Another common tire recommendation is the Toyo AT. They perform well, and they tend to behave a bit better on road than the BFGs. Ultimately, however, it's all up to which you decide looks better.

#4 ·
You can get Hankook ATm's. I have them on my GC Overland. I have the 255/70R18 and love them. They have great traction in the snow and are great on the highway and in wet conditions. Quiet too!!! I paid about $138/tire.

I'm sure you can find them in your size.

#6 ·
As said, you will wear down m/t's down to a nub very quickly if you do a lot of highway driving. And they will be very noisy and uncomfortable on the road. I'm on my 5th set of General Grabber AT2's. They are a good compromise between road manners and decent A/T lug pattern for the trails. Tirerack has them for a very good price.

#7 ·
In agreement with all the above sentiments. The only time it makes sense to use MTs is if you are off road all the time and you regularly encounter water or mud holes. Otherwise ATs are a better compromise for on road driving. Also a big fan of Gen Grabber AT2s. Havevthem on both Jeeps best AT for the price. BFG AT and GY Duratrac might be a bit better but far more expensive.

#8 ·
Thank you for the much needed information. Still in a pickle about whether or not I can run these 265s on stock rims and if Ill need spacers and mods to make them fit. Considering buying wheels with the tires as well if they come in a package deal. The Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/70r17 I'm looking at have great reviews and a reasonable price. Would rather get new rims if I have to buy spacers just to fit stock rims.

#11 ·
I have the ATP's on my Jeep. They're good but not great. A little louder than I hoped for, at least from 40-45 ish. Not really dissatisfied with the purchase (especially given the price), but I think I'll look at something else from Cooper next time.

#13 ·
Personally I prefer KOs over the Grabber AT2 and the Duratrac. All have worked well but the Grabbers haven't performed as well with low tread as the KOs did, and when I went from KOs to Duratracs on my last Jeep I lost 3 mpg from that alone. It doesn't sound like much but with the cost of fuel here that's was about $500/yr with that Jeep.

#14 ·
I have 255/70R17 Cooper Discovery A/T 3, Only had to cut the UCA bolt. And the spare fits where it's supposed to go. I believe its a great all around tire.. it handles good on the road and off road too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.