puddle on the dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > puddle on the dash

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 02-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
bigpav7

puddle on the dash

Hey guys. Wondering if anyone has seen this before. We got some snow last night and the temperature held in high 20s -low 30s all day. Got to the car tonight and found this pretty sizeable puddle on the dash. There are also streaks of water running down the inside of the windshield. This seems like way too much to be condensation. Never happened before. It looks like there should be a molding of some sort between the roof and the windshield. Does anyone have anything there or just the gap?

img_2014021057148.jpg

bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Juan-G
2010 WK 

First thought that came to me was, seal is broken. But then I thought maybe if the window is craked or chipped water could seep in slowly.
:2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo : : Black WK Club #109:
Juan-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Anon155
2005 WK 

Judging from what looks to be a pretty large amount of snow on the front of your Jeep. I'd bet money to say it's your sun roof drains. They're probably clogged....The water on the dash is probably an overflow from the drain channel at the front of the sunroof. Usually it will go through the A-pillars first, but if you had enough snow on on the roof, it could have easily gotten clogged with ice or other debris and the water flowed over the channel and down onto the dash. There is usually a gap between the headliner and the windshield, that's normal to see. A LOT of people have had a problem with the sunroof drains (including myself). I would definitely do a search on here for the how-to/fix and get that snow off the sunroof ASAP. It's only about a 5 min job to get the drains cleared.
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
bigpav7

I think u nailed it anon. Water was also dripping out of the left a-pillar as well as streaking down the windshield pretty much the entire width. I cleared the tubes this summer including cutting the rubber tip off. I bet it's the ice. Temps were in the low 20s overnight. Not going to worry about it. Appreciate the help!
bigpav7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
DVB
2006 WK 

Yup, I'm going through this now. The drain holes at the top are fine, it's at bottom is where I think it's clogged. I've been plowing through so much snow this winter, it has to be ugly under there.
Unread 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
james_2k
2009 WK 

thats got to be a fairly big design flaw hasn't it?

i wouldn't want water potentially coming into contact with the various electronic bits in the dash
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k View Post
thats got to be a fairly big design flaw hasn't it?

i wouldn't want water potentially coming into contact with the various electronic bits in the dash
The sunroof drains are one of the biggest design flaws on the XK/WK! I've dealt with the problem on several of these vehicles. It's very frustrating to say the least...Not only do the bottom portions of the drains clog (even after cutting the rubber piece at the bottom), but ice can build up around the drain holes in the trough in the front portion of the sunroof. This creates an ice dam, and water overflows the trough resulting in what you see with water on the dash area and also under your carpets. If water is draining through the A-pillars, I can guarantee its already under your carpet as well. Which can cause mold/mildew problems if left untreated.

I will be looking to tackle this problem head on in the next few weeks. I had an ice dam in the top drain area today, allowing water to come inside the cab area while I was driving. All the snow we have had in the midwest, mixed with varying temperatures has really done a number on this type of system to function properly. I plan to install all new flexible solid tubing down to the bottom drain holes, as well as trying to provide a bigger opening at the top drains to allow for more water to pass through without clogging. I'm hoping this will be the last time I have to fix this issue. I will report my findings when I can.
Unread 02-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
james_2k
2009 WK 

Bummer! Good luck with the fix!
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

Had the same issue happen on the way to work today. After the ice storm we just had all the ice melted at once while sitting on my jeep. Drain tubes are clogged (I hope) and I got water leaking from the A pillar and the middle garage door button area all the way to work.

Looks like I need to pull the headliner and do a more detailed cleaning to make sure everything is clear, since I did this last fall already.
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Shafer57
2006 WK 

I cleared my sunroof drains and it still leaked like this, except worse.

OP, search the forum for how to "re-calibrate" the sunroof. That's what fixed mine. Took 10 seconds.

I'm sure someone will chime in with those instructions.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
yzjwk
2005 WK 

One thing I will add for those of you who are not accustomed to snow and ice is , leave your inside slider open . This allows heat to get to your tracks and drains and will help keep them clear and defrosted .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
I cleared my sunroof drains and it still leaked like this, except worse.

OP, search the forum for how to "re-calibrate" the sunroof. That's what fixed mine. Took 10 seconds.

I'm sure someone will chime in with those instructions.
He could try that, but I have a feeling it's the actual drains. When you have a recalibration issue, the sunroof usually won't reach the fully closed position (thats what happened with mine). If his sunroof is sitting flush with the roof, and isn't trying to find the stop position (moving up and down near the closed position, doesn't work in a fluid motion). Then I'd definitely say its the drains/channel being clogged, probably with ice. OP, here is a the tutorial Shafer was talking about:

Place the ignition switch in RUN position.
8. Close all of the doors.
9. Press and release the vent switch (sunroof should move to vent position).
10. Once the sunroof has stopped motion at the vent position, press and hold the vent switch
for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.
11. If the sunroof did not reach the full vent open position, press and hold the vent switch until
the full-vent-open position is reached then release the vent switch, then press and hold the
vent switch for at least 5 seconds to recalibrate the sunroof position.
12. Cycle the sunroof from the full-vent-open position to the full-slide-open position and back to
the full-vent-open position at least 7 complete times. The sunroof is now in customer mode
with the obstacle detection thresholds updated.
mattb13 is offline Report Post
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
modernblueWK

This time of year be careful clearing the drains with compressed air. I tried thst yesterday and the passenger side drain tube popped off. I had to take the headliner down to reattach it. The tubes must have been frozen. I parked mine in the garage overnight and poured a bit of -20 windshield wiper fluid in the sunroof drains. Let that sit overnight. By morning they were clear.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.