Provent 200 catch can on CRD's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Provent 200 catch can on CRD's

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
bavmike
2008 WK 

Provent 200 catch can on CRD's

Has anybody ever used one of these in very cold weather like -20 to -50? I'm about to install one and my jeep spends quite a bit of time at those temps in the winter. I'm worried about it freezing up and blasting oil out of the dipstick or blowing seals.

2008.5 WK 3.0 CRD "S" Limited- Nov 2008 Build, JBA Fox racing front coil overs, JBA UCA's, ARB HD rear springs, Bilstein 7100 rear shocks, Level 8 Strike 5 wheels, 32" Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Liquimoly and Fuchs full synthetic in Diff's and tranny.
bavmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Not sure about the Provent but have witnessed several TDI's with Elephant hose mods and catch cans freezing up and blowing Turbo seals. I have owned 5 diesels (all modded) and personally say stay away from these things in cold climates. A bit of oil in your intake is not harmful. Just make sure your seals are not leaking above the Swirl Motor.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
bavmike
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcrd
Not sure about the Provent but have witnessed several TDI's with Elephant hose mods and catch cans freezing up and blowing Turbo seals. I have owned 5 diesels (all modded) and personally say stay away from these things in cold climates. A bit of oil in your intake is not harmful. Just make sure your seals are not leaking above the Swirl Motor.
Thanks for the advice. I should of asked before ordering 1 I guess. Maybe I'll mod it to do a straight bypass in cold weather or something.
2008.5 WK 3.0 CRD "S" Limited- Nov 2008 Build, JBA Fox racing front coil overs, JBA UCA's, ARB HD rear springs, Bilstein 7100 rear shocks, Level 8 Strike 5 wheels, 32" Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Liquimoly and Fuchs full synthetic in Diff's and tranny.
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Radcrd
2007 WK 

Or stay stock for winter and use it during summer only.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

I'd stay stock all the time with the updated seal of coarse and egr delete tuning and spray water/meth to keep everything clean.
But for you no water/meth in the winter
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevotion View Post
I'd stay stock all the time with the updated seal of coarse and egr delete tuning and spray water/meth to keep everything clean.
But for you no water/meth in the winter
Can you elaborate on water/methanol cleaning? I'm a CRD noob, I just bought mine.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
torqrise
2007 WK 

The CRD produces alot of underhood heat. I'd be surprised if you could freeze up the lines in a cold soak - unless you had alot of condensation in them. I've been running the Provent 200 for over 2 years now during some fairly low temps without any issues. My hoses are at minimum short run lenghts with the filter itself fairly close to the engine.

One thing about the Provent I would like to know - is the filter serviceable/cleanable? I've just been soaking out all the oil with paper towels and then sticking it back in the canister.
torqrise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC_xj

Can you elaborate on water/methanol cleaning? I'm a CRD noob, I just bought mine.
It's injecting a water and or water and methonal mix into the intake tract. It's a performance mod used mainly to lower egts (exhaust gas temps) and add power depending on the methanol concentration. But an added benefit is it keeps everything very clean in your motor, almost like pressure washing it. Another member on this forum (tnadanzig) is the only one I know of with a system like this on their Crd. He goes into his system briefly on a thread called "om642 performance mods" you'll have to search for it, sorry I can't link it I'm on my phone.

It's not for everyone as their is a small amount of customizing since there are only genaric kits. You need to find a place to mount the tank, plumb everything in, including tapping the nozzle somewhere into your intake, and wiring the controller. Again not for everyone but its what I would do!
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
bavmike
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqrise
The CRD produces alot of underhood heat. I'd be surprised if you could freeze up the lines in a cold soak - unless you had alot of condensation in them. I've been running the Provent 200 for over 2 years now during some fairly low temps without any issues. My hoses are at minimum short run lenghts with the filter itself fairly close to the engine.

One thing about the Provent I would like to know - is the filter serviceable/cleanable? I've just been soaking out all the oil with paper towels and then sticking it back in the canister.
The filter is supposed to be replaced when clogged I think. I think I'm going to install a 3 way electronic valve that bypasses the provent when cold, then opens to divert flow through the provent once the temp warms up to say 20C. Sounds elaborate but it's fairly simple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.