Project 'red rocket'...WK minibuild thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Project 'red rocket'...WK minibuild thread

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Project 'red rocket'...WK minibuild thread

update for pics here and on 2nd page!
Finally have most of my parts in! Going on the Jeep are:

4xGuard front skid
Rough Country 2" Lift
Bilstein HD rear shocks (won't ship til 1/10 )
Michelin LTX MS 265-70-17s
Raybestos sway bushings with new mopar clamps (these fixed my front end noise over bumps)

Due to some scheduling conflicts I had to put the tires on/sell the old tires prior to the lift going on so I have before pics, pics with big tires/no lift, and will have (soon) pics of bigger tires w/ 2" lift. Hopefully this will answer a lot of the before/after questions people have on here

I know the Michelins aren't a AT tire but I got them used (9/32) off craigslist for $80 and they have almost perfect ratings on tirerack and it's kind of nice to have a quieter ride for right now (and be around 22.5mpg highway) I'll be getting some new ATs maybe in the bigger size mid summer.

Tires/Skidplate

Skid on woohoo

Before (245/65 17)

After (no lift - 265/70 17)

After (with lift - 265/70 17)

Yes I had to cut the bolt but the tires don't rub on the sway...maybe bc its a less agressive tread but I'm fine with that. Honestly these should come on the Jeep from the factory. I love my old tires but these look much more fitting IMO

Sorry the pics are kinda crappy...iPhone4 took em. I'll get the CannonEos out for the final result pics

Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
lll2for3lll
2005 WK 

Nice. I'll be doing my build thread soon.

Some things I will have are:

-Poineer double din install
-OME lift
-PIAA fog lights installed in stock location wired to OME switch
-Rear view mirror with LCD screen for rear view camera
-and a few other stuff.
lll2for3lll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Budasac
2005 WK 

Lookin' good. It'll be even better when you get that lift installed. Are you doing it yourself?
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
lll2for3lll
2005 WK 

I'm only going to install the front skid plate also. It looks good under there with the bumper trim removed.
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Lookin' good. It'll be even better when you get that lift installed. Are you doing it yourself?
Thanks man..and heck no hahaha. The front worries me, a friend is doing it as sidework at the dealer for $100. I'm hoping the rear shocks come in for the install so he can do it all at once. The front skid/bushings were fun enough. I don't have the right tools to get the lift into the front. I know, I'm a wimp haha
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

YAY another build thread!!! omg... I have a .txt sheet of all WK's that i'm aware of that has a build thread. I will post it later unless someone beats me to it.

edit: nvm - it appears I lost it..

People I do know that have one are Bumzo, CraigWK, and myself.
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch520 View Post
Thanks man..and heck no hahaha. The front worries me, a friend is doing it as sidework at the dealer for $100. I'm hoping the rear shocks come in for the install so he can do it all at once. The front skid/bushings were fun enough. I don't have the right tools to get the lift into the front. I know, I'm a wimp haha
If the rear shocks don't come in time don't sweat it. You can run the stock shocks w/ that lift. And when the new ones come, it's only two bolts to swap them out.
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

I just looked that up...good news! I'll just get the lift on asap and worry about shocks in a week or so.

Phase two of this build will be: rola roof rack, adjustable control arms, iPod integration, 4xguard rear skid, slotted front rotors, and possibly a better sounding muffler
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
I just looked that up...good news! I'll just get the lift on asap and worry about shocks in a week or so.

Phase two of this build will be: rola roof rack, adjustable control arms, iPod integration, 4xguard rear skid, slotted front rotors, and possibly a better sounding muffler
Adjustable upper control arms???
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Munch520
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yep!

http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-Als_Upper...rokee-717.aspx
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
CmmdrDan

Looks great man! But why Red Rocket...
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
O-k. They're not "adjustable". I thought you were talking about uca's w/ adjustable ball joints. I have seen adj. bj's before for the WK but didn't really understand why one would use them when all alignment is done from the bottom.

But yeah, JBA UCA's, great idea. I'm gonna order some eventually. Not that I wanna delay your lift, but if you get the UCA's now you can save yourself the $100 for an alignment. As you'll need one after the lift, and also after the UCA install.
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I didn't need an alignment after I installed my OME... not entirely sure why.
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_WK View Post
I didn't need an alignment after I installed my OME... not entirely sure why.
Really. I'm surprised, cause my camber was way outta whack after installing my RC lift. It was bad enough that you would see it immediately when you looked at the truck from the front. \* */ < that's how they looked.

And I was looking over the JBA website and they claim the UCA's "retain factory alignment". But I have spoken w/ people who claimed they needed an alignment after they installed. Maybe they were just being cautious.
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
lll2for3lll
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
O-k. They're not "adjustable". I thought you were talking about uca's w/ adjustable ball joints. I have seen adj. bj's before for the WK but didn't really understand why one would use them when all alignment is done from the bottom.

But yeah, JBA UCA's, great idea. I'm gonna order some eventually. Not that I wanna delay your lift, but if you get the UCA's now you can save yourself the $100 for an alignment. As you'll need one after the lift, and also after the UCA install.
I have a lifetime alignment on my WK with Firestone Auto Service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.