Problems with liftgate glass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Problems with liftgate glass

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

Problems with liftgate glass

I have been having problems with the liftgate's glass popping open on it's own. The dealership I purchased my 05 Limited from replaced the entire flipper module. After replacing it, the glass continued to come open on it's own. They then found that there was a problem with the wiring. After fixing the wiring, the glass is still popping open. Has anyone had this problem? If so, how do I fix it. The problem has been "corrected" as I disconnected all of the wires. I'd really like for it to work, especially since this vehicle is only a month old (to me). Any help would be appreciated.

justinmiller930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Budasac
2005 WK 

Sounds like you may have an exposed or loose wire leading to the module that's grounding out when you're driving. I'm guessing it only happens when you're driving? But not if the Jeep is parked and running, or key on.

What about the push button on the lift gate? Was that also replaced or at least removed and inspected?
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

It does it while in park and while driving. They replaced the entire module and then found a wire that was bad. They replaced it and it still opens up on it's own. I have it disconnected and hasn't done it since.
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Budasac
2005 WK 

That's pretty random. If you said "only when driving", I would definately think it's a wire that's moving around when you hit bumps. Does it ever open when it's parked with the keys removed? (liftgate glass still has power when the key is off.)
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

Yes it does. It does it when it's parked and when I'm driving it. It's been a recurring problem that the dealership can't seem to get right.
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
jeffjs

Not sure why, but I immediately thought of "stuck key fob button".
jeffjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

Nope that's def. not the case!
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Budasac
2005 WK 

I'm still hovering around the "window" button on the tailgate. I was thinking something wacky w/ the relay that's controlled by the fob. But that get's disabled when the ignition is on.

However, the lift glass can be opened from outside in any situation, (driving, parked, key on/off). The "button" and the glass latch are two seperate parts. Did they also change the button? If not, that's where I would look. If they did, I would still look there. Check all the wires to and from the button and the latch mod for any sign of damage. It's the only thing that's active in all situations.
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

Thanks a lot. I did try to push the button, and it wouldn't push in. Perhaps there's something wrong with the window button. I'll have to connect it all back up and see if that button works. Might be something they'll have to replace. Thanks for all of your help.
Unread 05-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Budasac
2005 WK 

No problem. That's why we're all here. Let us know how it turns out.

And welcome to the forum!
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

Thank you very much! Nice to be here! I'll keep you updated.
Unread 06-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

Finally, after 3 months, the problem has been fixed. The dealership I've been dealing with finally figured out that the push button for the window located on the liftgate itself was bad. The button was stuck and wouldn't come out. Glad it's finally fixed.
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
daxlw
2005 WK 

Did you need to replace the button or anything? Or did you just have to clean around it to prevent it from sticking?
daxlw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Was waiting to hijack and will now that OP had his issue resolved. I'm having a problem with my rear glass... it squeaks ALL the time. I can't stand it. It's like the glass isn't secure or something. Just driving down the road makes it squeak and I can't handle that annoying squeaking anymore. Anyone have any tips? I've messed around with the glass, doesn't seem to be loose or anything. I've tried to shim the glass to keep it from squeaking, but it still does. I'm going crazy - this WK has more noises than my TJ - I don't know how that's possible. Thanks.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.