problems with 2 new tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > problems with 2 new tires?

Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFree Shipping on Soft Shackles

Unread 05-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
holliewood61
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

problems with 2 new tires?

Well these West Virginia roads claimed another tire. A pot hole got the sidewall on one of my front tires, and Im thinking about only replacing the 2 fronts. I wanted to get some input before I do. Has anyone with the qd2 had any problems with only replacing 2 because of the slight diameter difference between the new tires and the ones I would leave on the rear with half tread. Ive seen issues with this in vehicle with automatic 4x4 causing popping and binding in the t case. I wasnt sure if it would cause premature wear in the clutches or cause the electronics to freak out. Any input here is appreciated.

81 CJ7 very little stock
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
JWClanton
2006 XK Commander 

The rule of thumb on 4x4 or awd vehicles is the tread difference cant be more than 4 32nds in tread depth.
JWClanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

Many on here just don't care if there's a difference, and they haven't had any problems yet, but time will tell. FWIW, Goodyear has a maximum tread difference policy for AWD vehicles, and will not mount a single new tire if it is too far out of match.

When I lost one tire and has less than 15k miles on the rest (and had rotated religiously), I got a replacement from Tire Rack and had them shave the new tire down to match, for $25 extra. Take a tread depth gauge and measure every tire. If you have even tire wear you can tell Tire Rack the depth and they'll know the new tire depth and will reduce it to match.

If you don't have even tread wear, don't even bother.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
holliewood61
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I appreciate it guys. I never just do 2 but they are in too good of shape to throw em all out
81 CJ7 very little stock
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
djvan

I replace 2 tires about a year and a half ago. Right or wrong I put one new one on the right front and the other new one left rear. Rotate as usual don't notice any ill effect yet.
djvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
TangoTango
2008 WK 

just keep the same wear on the same axel
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.