Problem with Paint on Plastic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Problem with Paint on Plastic

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 04-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Usgrant39

Problem with Paint on Plastic

I have a White Commander. The Wheel wells and side panels which appear to be made of plastic have terrible stains on them. I thought it was tar or such, but nothing I have found even begins to remove the stains. Any thoughts?

Usgrant39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Flflatlander

Can you describe the "tar" better? Is it splattered, like thick overspray? Were they there when purchased or is it something you picked up somewhere?
Flflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
TRCommander

Hey I had the same problem with a white Commander I purchased in Florida. It had black specs all over the bottom portion of the door panels on one side only. It also had yellow stains on all four fenders and the sides on the rear plastic bumper after they detailed it, so I returned it to them and they kept it for a week. They had to replaced the fenders but said they forgot to remove the black stuff off and the dealer wanted another day to fix it. I don't know if they ever did cause I gave the Commander back to them and took my $1000 down back and bought a black one from another dealer.
I don't know if they can get it off but if I was you I'd ask for another white Commander or change colors cause the white seems susceptible to stains. I couldn't find anything either to take the black specs out and it seems the dealer couldn't either. Good luck.

Gone but not forgotten!
2000 Wrangler Sahara w/3" Teraflex lift, DT3000 shocks, warn winch (which I still have, I'm not completly insane), Teraflex QD, 33'' Dunlop mudrovers and ORD rock rails.
TRCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
05darkness

paint problem as well

Hello i have as well just purchased a new 06 commander but mine is Silver, i have what appears to be overspray on some of the plastic parts on the back, mainly part of the roof rack rear handle bumperguard and some other stuff they did a detail job when we bought it and i noticed it after the paper work was all said and done and they told me come back when i had time when the real pro detail guy was gonna be there and he would get it out. Well no he didnt, and it looks like sh... there is also a dent on my passenger door up high im just so mad. TRcommander how did you get them to switch titles i think there might have been damage shipping it and they did some shady attempt to cover it up. Any help would be appreciated, i bought what i thought was a new car and it should look new.
05darkness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
TRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05darkness
Hello i have as well just purchased a new 06 commander but mine is Silver, i have what appears to be overspray on some of the plastic parts on the back, mainly part of the roof rack rear handle bumperguard and some other stuff they did a detail job when we bought it and i noticed it after the paper work was all said and done and they told me come back when i had time when the real pro detail guy was gonna be there and he would get it out. Well no he didnt, and it looks like sh... there is also a dent on my passenger door up high im just so mad. TRcommander how did you get them to switch titles i think there might have been damage shipping it and they did some shady attempt to cover it up. Any help would be appreciated, i bought what i thought was a new car and it should look new.
Sorry to hear that man that sux. When I purchased my Commander I only had it for 2 days before I took ot back into them. You have basically 48hrs I believe before the deal is truly finalized even if you have already signed for it. I told the dealer if they gave me any trouble I would go to the attourney general, the news paper, better business beureu and Chrysler . After which, I had no problems with the dealer and they just wanted to make things right even though they knew they were going to lose the sale. I think with the dealers sometimes you can't be afraid to be an ******* if that's what it takes to get them to fix your problem. However, if the dealer isn't willing to fix the problem now you may be in for a battle to get them to fix it without you paying for it but if your in the right and they've wronged you I say go for it cause eventually you'll win its just going to take time.

Gone but not forgotten!
2000 Wrangler Sahara w/3" Teraflex lift, DT3000 shocks, warn winch (which I still have, I'm not completly insane), Teraflex QD, 33'' Dunlop mudrovers and ORD rock rails.
TRCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
05darkness

Thanks for the heads up, i got them to take it to their body shop for a full repair, they said it will look like new, and all i know is it better. Im still waiting to get it back and see the results. If its not like new ill threaten em like you suggest, i already threw in i have free legal representation being in the Military and all. I have a feeling thats why they delayed to do a detail job to get it out after we bought it possibly waiting for the 48 hours to end.

Thank You
I really appreciate the response and heads up
Unread 04-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #7
Todd Abbott

3M makes an adhesive remover available from Groits Garage that works great for removing, grease, tar, light overspray, bug guts, decals and just about anything else that makes it way on to your paint you might want to give it try.
Todd Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
05darkness

Thank You I appreciate the info. I got the dealer to fix all the probs, only thing is they couldnt explain how the overspray got there. There is still a long streak of white on the plastic where they used wax to detail it, is there anything that will get wax off black plastic? Ive never myself gotten wax on plastic ever, ive always been told it will ruin the finish. Can anything you guys know of remove that?
Unread 05-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
greg230

I had the exact same problem with my white commander limited. Took the vehicle home from the dealer, was looking at the jeep and it had brown spots all over the plastic fenders and rear bumper just behind the rear wheels.

Took it back to the dealer and he said the tires have a protectant on them while they sit on the dealer lot. When they sell a vehicle they remove the protectant with a degreaser and then apply a tire dressing.

He said the employee that preped my commander degreased the wheels, but accidentally applied the tire dressing over the degreaser. He said the tires should have been scrubbed after being degreased. He is replacing all the fenders and rear bumper at his expense.

I have ordered the molded mud guards for the jeep
greg230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
Usgrant39

Problem Fixed

Dealer ended up replacing fenders and bumpers, etc. Never explained what caused the problem...but all is well for the moment.
Usgrant39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #11
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05darkness
Thank You I appreciate the info. I got the dealer to fix all the probs, only thing is they couldnt explain how the overspray got there. There is still a long streak of white on the plastic where they used wax to detail it, is there anything that will get wax off black plastic? Ive never myself gotten wax on plastic ever, ive always been told it will ruin the finish. Can anything you guys know of remove that?
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers remove wax (and other things) from black plastic.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
reneveah
2003 WJ 

Could it be undercoating overspray?
reneveah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.