Problem with joystick on REC navigation radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Problem with joystick on REC navigation radio

1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 11-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
ukgrad89
2005 WK 

Problem with joystick on REC navigation radio

This may sound silly, but I'm having trouble with not being able to use the joystick for the navigation system. This is the controller on the right side, about 4 from the top, underneath it says "zoom". When I push up on it, for example, nothing happens; what should happen is that the cursor either moves up, or the view moves up. Same whatever direction I go. No ability to zoom in or out either. It becomes a problem because I can't even change options for navigation, rendering it virtually useless. I'm not covered under factory warranty anymore. Any ideas how to fix this? Is this something someone at the dealership can fix? Do I have to buy a whole new unit? Maybe it just needs cleaned? Thanks in advance

ukgrad89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
ukgrad89
2005 WK 

Found answer

Found the answer, here is a good writeup for anyone with a similar problem:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/tec...tml#post744703

Haven't tried the fix yet, getting ready to go out of town for holiday weekend

Cheers!
ukgrad89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
wvvw

GPS Joystick faulty

I have a Grand Cherokee Limited w/Alpine GPS. The joystick has broken twice. the first time it was covered under warranty and they replaced the unit. Now it's not covered under warranty and 2 dealers have said I need to replace the whole unit for $2400! just because the joystick is bad? I've tried to go directly to Alpine, buut they said I need to go through a dealer. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?
I really like this car but this is really frustrating!
wvvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
drysuitdiver
2007 XK Commander 

might be a silly suggestion but if you have the steering wheel controls for this unit you can operate all of the Nav functions from the steering wheel.

press and hold both buttons on the wheel and the unit switches to steering wheel control
drysuitdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
DirtyFrank
2007 WK 

there is a write up somewhere on how to get a new one, it may be the link above but it looks like it's been moved.

found it...

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=71415

same thing is happening to mine, try pushing in then moving the joystick. it's my temporary fix.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #18

Last edited by DirtyFrank; 02-13-2009 at 01:38 PM..
DirtyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
wvvw

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.
wvvw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
ItalianJeeper77
2000 WJ 

i never knew you could use the steering wheel controls!!! I hate leaning forward to navigate the navi.

and my life just got a bit more lazy.... haha

-Mike
Unread 11-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
06ltd
2006 WK 

Thanks....had it three years and the joystick just went out this summer; went to change the clock and got frustrated. I now have "renewed" likeness for the NAV system...thanks so much for the info!
06ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I just got my '06 GCO about a month ago and the joystick is starting to go out on it. I just ordered and received both types (4 way and 8 way) and will be changing it in the next week or so. As said above the instructions are on the 300C Forum. I got my joysticks from OnLine Components. This link will list both the standard and the alternate. Doesn't look like too much work. I've already had the Nav. Unit out to check model and serial numbers. Mine apparently was built about a month before they starting installing the new "improved" joysticks. Bummer!! Why didn't they use touch screen like Garmin??

ALPS ELECTRIC RKJXT1E12001 is in stock! | Buy RKJXT1E12001 | RKJXT1E12001 | Onlinecomponents.com
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
daxlw
2005 WK 

I recently did this to my REC. It took a bit of time but worth it. Go slow. The hardest part was de-soldering to get the old one loose. If you have any questions feel free to email me daxlw@hotmail.com
daxlw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
koj
2010 WK 

Get the 8-way joystick. With the 4-way you loose the possibility to scroll in the map. Anyone who knows which leds are used for the buttons?
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
MYKEYAZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drysuitdiver View Post
might be a silly suggestion but if you have the steering wheel controls for this unit you can operate all of the Nav functions from the steering wheel.

press and hold both buttons on the wheel and the unit switches to steering wheel control
You are freaking awasome, i bought my jeepp 1 year ago and i lost the joystick, went and visit all dealers in NE, IA and WI, i can't believe no one of them has told me about the control in the wheel, i was just about to buy the whole unit, spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to fix it and even replace. MUchas gracias amigo.
MYKEYAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
MYKEYAZZ

You are freaking awasome, i bought my jeepp 1 year ago and i lost the joystick, went and visit all dealers in NE, IA and WI, i can't believe no one of them has told me about the control in the wheel, i was just about to buy the whole unit, spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to fix it and even replace. MUchas gracias amigo.
MYKEYAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #14
jnick

I just came in to thank drysuitdiver as well. Just bought a jeep with nav, and joystick not functioning - the steering wheel trick works great. Very much appreciated!
jnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Since my earlier post back in November, I've replaced the joystick on my REC unit. If you have a little electrical and soldering ability it's not too tough. The hardest part is getting the old one off the circuit board. Once that's done, installing the new one is cake. Whole job took me about an hour and a half, from removal to reinstallation, and total cost was under $50. I masked off the joystick area on the board to avoid getting splashed solder on other parts. Also, be sure to remove all CD's before removing the unit. Any questions, let me know.

Last edited by 90grandoneer; 06-09-2010 at 11:35 AM..
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.