Problem after Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Problem after Problem

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 09-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Problem after Problem

Hey guys so I need help again. Finally the WK is on the lift and its suspension is torn apart, the mechanics are saying with the OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100 struts and rear 1.5'' coil spacer...I will have drastic wear and tear and will be back in a few thousand miles. I'm all for putting the parts in anyways since I've seen this lift run successfully by a few members...but now they said they can't guarantee their labor if they do put the parts in. I'm at a stand still, have to let them know by 9am what the final decision is. I want the parts in, but no labor guarantee? My mom also won't agree to it, I need some advice/ help convincing her it'll be fine.

Would really love some advice from some guys who have run a modified OME such as Omelet, AJeepZJ, Lifted_Up,Mr.Tosh...etc.

2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

You take your rig to a shop - you're at their mercy. All you can do if you don't like it is take it somewhere else

Take it outta the shop and do the install yourself with a buddy's help.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

I run modified OME, made a living as a mechanic and will tell you the shop guys are right. They don't want you to bring your jeep back and complain that your balljoints are shot, or your steering rack is clunking and demand that they fix it. When you're running 3+ inches without correcting geometry stuff will wear out faster.

Tell them you understand the risks (do you?) and that you won't hold them liable for parts that wear. Gotta pay to play in this game.

What upper control arms are you running? Might have a tough time getting alignment within spec at the height you're going for.
sk1er18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Running stock control arms or now. Saving up for JBAs very soon. I'm fully aware that the balljoints will fail sooner or later, but how long will my steering rack, cv joints...etc last? I drive 5 miles round trip to school everyday and it's my senior year. So bye-bye WK for 2 years after these last few months.

And JeepN4KC, I wish I had friends that knew how to install lift kits. I don't have the tools or time to do it myself.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
I'm fully aware that the balljoints will fail sooner or later, but how long will my steering rack, cv joints...etc last?
There's no set time limit. It'll probably get you through your senior year so just get the work done and don't sweat it. Replace parts as they go and just enjoy being young and having fun
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
BoraBora
2006 WK 

How has yours held up? How long have you had it on/have you had any problems yet?
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

I have 55k miles. Have already replaced upper control arms, lower control arms, and my steering rack is clunking (though i bought some time by adjusting the gear lash).

I used to go wheeling quite a bit though before my 3rd kid was born... So i wasn't exactly taking it easy on this rig.
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Gear lash? Okay, I was planning on changing control arms regardless so that's not much of a big deal.
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

As the rack wears you get a clunk.. that clunk is from excessive gap in the gears (excess lash between the pinion gear and rack). Not hard to adjust, but it's a sign its on its way out.

And yeah, like I said its not a big deal. Replace parts as they wear and just go with it. The shop is just covering themselves so you don't hold them liable for crap thats going to wear quicker. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who would...
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Ah gotcha. I'm giving them a call at 9am tomorrow morning for the final okay then. Thank you so much for the help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.