post #1 of Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
cola
2007 WK 

Power Steering Fluid Question

Hello, my wife and I are currently doing some maintenance on her '07 GC 4.7. While I was getting diff fluid I bought some power steering fluid as well. Not thinking anything of it, I was getting ready to drain/fill it last night and noticed that it takes, http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mopar-h...5142893aa.html

What I purchased is this,http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AS261.../dp/B0002JN182

Will the prestone fluid work or do I have to get the mopar hydraulic fluid?

Thanks in advance,
David and Tori

post #2 of Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 PM
sammccorison

Use atf+4. It's the same as the power steering fluid. Worked at a dealer for years and that's what Chrysler told us. It's a complete rip they sell a pint of "power steering fluid" for the same if not more then a quart of atf. Do not use typical power steering fluid. Will cause the seals in the rack and cause them to leak.
post #3 of Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 PM
sammccorison

And you don't have to use mopar. You can go to any parts store and use 3rd party atf4.
post #4 of Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
Hello, my wife and I are currently doing some maintenance on her '07 GC 4.7. While I was getting diff fluid I bought some power steering fluid as well. Not thinking anything of it, I was getting ready to drain/fill it last night and noticed that it takes, http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mopar-h...5142893aa.html

What I purchased is this,http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AS261.../dp/B0002JN182

Will the prestone fluid work or do I have to get the mopar hydraulic fluid?

Thanks in advance,
David and Tori
I would NOT use atf+4 for the power steering fluid . Your not saving any money buying atf+4 and These jeeps do not come from the factory with atf+4 in them anymore (and they haven't for years) . That's how the garage destroyed my P.S pump without me knowing about it after they changed a P.S hose and topped it up with atf .

Here's the information from the OWNERS MANUAL

Your new Grand Cherokee requires the use of a new
Power Steering Fluid. This new fluid is specially formulated
to ensure the long life of the power steering system.
The power steering system requires the use of Mopar
Hydraulic System Power Steering Fluid (P/N
05142893AA), or equivalent, which meets
DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-10838.

CAUTION!
Do not use Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) or
other types of power steering fluids when servicing
the power steering system of this vehicle. Damage to
the power steering system can result from the use of
the wrong power steering fluid.

and Here's the info from the service manual

POWER STEERING FLUID
This system requires the use of hydraulic system/power steering fluid which meets Daimler Chrysler specification
MS-10838, such as Mopar part number 05142893AA, or equivalent, DO NOT MIX POWER STEERING FLUID
TYPES. Damage may result to the power steering pump and system if any other fluid is used, and DO NOT OVERFILL.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #5 of Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Agreed, use the stuff it calls for.

My old Dakota used ATF+4 in the power steering and called for it. The Jeep (albeit a Hemi with hyd cooling fan as well) calls for special stuff, use it.

You won't be changing this fluid that often so just pony up and use the proper stuff.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #6 of Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 AM
colinzj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
I would NOT use atf+4 for the power steering fluid . Your not saving any money buying atf+4 and These jeeps do not come from the factory with atf+4 in them anymore (and they haven't for years).
Thirding this. The owner's manual and service manual are both very clear about the fact ATF is not to be used, and it's very apparent if you have both fluids in front of you that they're not even remotely the same.

The WK was designed and its fluids were specced at the height of Daimler's reign—like many other DCX vehicles at that time, the WK rack uses an application-specific PS fluid that not even other Mopar PS fluids should be used in place of. And again, if you've got both fluids in front of you, MS-10838 PS fluid and "classic" Mopar PS fluid are clearly different animals.

The aftermarket has exactly one fluid meeting MS-10838; most of them instead target the older, more universal Mopar fluid (as used in WJs, ZJs, and many others).

If you want to bet $8 or $10 against $1400, it's your money, but it's not like power steering fluid has a 3,000 mile service interval.

2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L Dead, sold, and rolling again
post #7 of Old 11-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Burnerman

1996 ZJ 

Use the Mopar fluid. It was $14 a qt and the system in the wife's hemi gc took just over a qt with a pressure hose replacement. A lot cheaper then a new rack or pump.

96 ZJ.
05' Grand Cherokee Limited, 2"OME lift
post #8 of Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
cola
2007 WK 

Thanks for all of the infoT I will stop at our jeep dealer and pick some up.
post #9 of Old 06-07-2015, 12:14 AM
jimsjeep05

My dealer informed me mopar p/n ms-10838 is no longer supported by jeep.
What do you use now?
post #10 of Old 06-07-2015, 08:04 AM
colinzj
2006 WK 

Your dealer is incorrect. The part number changed (I'll go dig around in the garage and see if I still have a partial bottle), but fluid meeting the MS-10838 spec is still produced and available.

It's not hard to look up—if you've got your owner's manual, the parts system will pull up the new part number from the old one in there. Or if the guy at the parts desk isn't a total idiot, it'll come up in a year/make/model lookup.

2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L Dead, sold, and rolling again
post #11 of Old 06-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Tekn0logy
2006 WK 

This is news... but makes sense. Chrysler probably does not have exclusive rights to the "formula" nor is allowed to hide the ingredients any longer. Mopar International shows a cross reference from US PN: 05142893AA to Int. PN: 68234631GA for MS-10838 spec fluid: http://www.moparinternational.com/as..._19Dec2014.pdf. Searching on that new p/n, I just found a link to the SDS on Mopar International: http://devcn.moparinternational.com/...GA_SDS_ENG.pdf Still no mention of who really makes it aside from stating that it is "hydraulic oil". It would be utterly ironic if this is the same stuff we put in the transfer case just like other Chrysler vehicles use relabeled and marked up ATF+4 in their PS systems. Can anyone validate this information?
post #12 of Old 02-13-2016, 05:38 PM
omsok
Overland Prep
2007 WK 

Pentosin CHF11S CO developed with Merc. MB 345.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekn0logy View Post
This is news... but makes sense. Chrysler probably does not have exclusive rights to the "formula" nor is allowed to hide the ingredients any longer. Mopar International shows a cross reference from US PN: 05142893AA to Int. PN: 68234631GA for MS-10838 spec fluid: http://www.moparinternational.com/as..._19Dec2014.pdf. Searching on that new p/n, I just found a link to the SDS on Mopar International: http://devcn.moparinternational.com/...GA_SDS_ENG.pdf Still no mention of who really makes it aside from stating that it is "hydraulic oil". It would be utterly ironic if this is the same stuff we put in the transfer case just like other Chrysler vehicles use relabeled and marked up ATF+4 in their PS systems. Can anyone validate this information?
Hi: You can buy 10838 spec compliant fluid in a few shapes and forms. It was co-developed by Pentosin and MB and is the same spec for a few auto manufacturers. The catch is it is expensive everywhere.

http://www.pentosin.net/pressrelease..._CHF11S_V3.pdf

I saw the Pentosin at Carquest for $26/liter. About the same price as MB 345.0 and Jeep 05142893AA.

The main difference is the Euro stuff and likely Pentosin is green. Chrysler is clear.

I just refilled my CRD using the 345.0 MB. It was green; however it meet the 10838 spec, so should be fine.

That being said, deductive reasoning is being used to figure this all out.

You can also see another product made by Motul, which I have not seen for sale meets MD 345.0 and Chrysler 10838 spec. At the end it also shows 13 different manufacturers that should meet the spec.

https://www.motul.com/system/product...pdf?1394720414

Lastly and oddly when I was cross checking the info to write this post I checked the mopar site and was confused by the following write-up on Mopar site for 05142893AA:

http://www.moparrepairconnection.ca/...DS/05142893AA/

Confusingly it states on Mopar.com "Convenient, easy-to-pour, pint-sized container. Meets Chrysler material specification for post 1998 Chrysler power steering systems that require MS-9602 and MS-5931 fluid. Compatible with ATF+4."

This would seem to contravene all the previously mentioned information, so I can only assume it is an error, or I am really missing something. It says nothing about 10838, and there should be no way it is actually compatible with ATF+4.

That being said my journey into understanding the PS fluid specs for this vehicle came from losing my steering rack return line once, and then having it spring a leak this year. When I went to the dealer the photo they showed me from their system based on my VIN for a 2007 WK CRD showed the wrong PS pump in the wrong place.

I went to Merc for the 345.0 fluid, and bought 2' of 3/8" oil cooler hose for the return line in bulk from Carquest. Its a Gates product so should be decent enough quality. I also spent the extra $3.00 and bought some heater hose with a 3/4" internal diameter and used it as an outer shield to ensure there would be no more accidental abrasions.

The fluid from MB was the same price as Chrysler, but I am getting very frustrated with Jeep/Chrysler and this vehicle, and especially when it comes to anything from MB, engine, transmission, I prefer to go to MB. Usually it is cheaper, and I have to assume the quality is as at least as good or better.

Feel free to jump in.