Possible problem powering off road lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Possible problem powering off road lights?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
Rkidd121209
2005 WK 

Possible problem powering off road lights?

I just ordered the rola roof rack basket and I'm not sure I can do what I want with it. I know these WK's have some issues with the electrical systems, basically I want to put 8 lights on the basket, 2 on each side. I want it to look like daytime when I turn them on. What would I need to do to power that many lights? Thanks for the help?

Rkidd121209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
meep
2008 WK 

8 lamps, assuming 55 watts, will pull about 500 watts... 40 amps. you'll want 2 30 amp relays and fusing to match. Fusing needs to be very close to the power source, be it the battery or the main power bus to the fuse box. 20 amps per relay isn't bad... I'd run 14 or 12 GA wire to each fuse/relay, and up to the lights.

This is not the sort of wiring that will stress a WK. their wiring woes are more associated with dirt and bad grounds after a bunch of wheeling, or minor nuisance problems like you get with any modern car. 40 amps is no more than a pair of heated seats, and any off-idle rpm should allow adequate juice. if worried, you could add a voltmeter to keep an eye on things.

One suggestion... maybe use more than one sw to drive separate relays-- so you can turn off what you don't need. you might like having that control, say if loading/unloading/camp set-up with engine off. or just not blinding folks behind you on a trail.
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

If it was winter time, and you had the heater fan on, heated seats on, defroster on, headlights on, stereo blasting, you may have issues running the auxiliary lights. You may want to look into a high output alternator. The best source for that, would be to find a local shop that rebuilds starters and alternators. They will know how to rebuild yours for higher output
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Rkidd121209
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
8 lamps, assuming 55 watts, will pull about 500 watts... 40 amps. you'll want 2 30 amp relays and fusing to match. Fusing needs to be very close to the power source, be it the battery or the main power bus to the fuse box. 20 amps per relay isn't bad... I'd run 14 or 12 GA wire to each fuse/relay, and up to the lights.

This is not the sort of wiring that will stress a WK. their wiring woes are more associated with dirt and bad grounds after a bunch of wheeling, or minor nuisance problems like you get with any modern car. 40 amps is no more than a pair of heated seats, and any off-idle rpm should allow adequate juice. if worried, you could add a voltmeter to keep an eye on things.

One suggestion... maybe use more than one sw to drive separate relays-- so you can turn off what you don't need. you might like having that control, say if loading/unloading/camp set-up with engine off. or just not blinding folks behind you on a trail.
I will be running multiple switches. I want to run 4 so I can control left, right, front and rear separately. I just haven't done much wiring aside from car stereos I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.
Rkidd121209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
DuncsWK
2008 WK 

Believe it or not, I think there is such a thing as *to much* light.

Are you putting Halogen on it, or are you looking at LED?

Lumen / Dollar, I think LED and halogen are similar in price. LED may be a bit higher but will outlast any halogen setup.
DuncsWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
GoGadgetWK
2010 WK 

It should work with no problems as long as you use appropriate wiring size like other people have said. I personally only put two lights on one relay. Currently I have five lights on top with 100watt halogens. Mine came from factory with 160amp alternator. It has worked fine over the years even when running warn winch at night time.

-AFE stage 2 with grey filter-BFG TA KO 245/75R17-MB Gunner5 chrome 17"Rims 5.5 BKspce/25mm offset-Forks/Springs of 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Lift-Fabricated rear factory shock extensions-Custom made 1.5" rear bump stop spacers-Thule slide out Ski/Snowboard rack-Warn XD9000 winch with 2" hitch receiver-Fabricated front hitch receiver-5Warn offroad lights W/Fabricated removable lightbar
GoGadgetWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
meep
2008 WK 

i think the stock alt is pretty beefy--- this isn't the 90's when they were all 60 amps or so. plus, i'm not sure about the wk, but daimler vehicles for over a decade have had an idle-up feature that boosts engine idle rpm if the volts fall low for increased at output.

if you are dividing 8 lights by 4 relays/switches, you can use 14-16ga wire and "normal" parts and be done with it, no problem.

I enjoyed having rear lamps when having to back out of tight spots in my old subaru that lived a hard, hard life...

m
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
DAHEMI
2005 WK 

are HID's an option? prices sure have come down those but I don't know of any preferred off road models.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue WK Club Member #1[/COLOR]
my poor signature is thrashed so deleted it
[I]The Second Amendment - America's Original Homeland Security[/I]
DAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
this isn't the 90's when they were all 60 amps or so.
exactly my point. Equally, this isn't the 90's when there were a lot les electronics on board. That is the reason why today's vehicles have larger alternators. It's because of all the onboard electronics. Why chance it? When you max out your alternator, your battery starts acting as a reserve and you run the risk of draining your battery which could possibly leave you stranded if you were to turn your motor off and not have enough juice to start it back up
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.