Possible overheating? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Possible overheating?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Possible overheating?

Hey all, today very randomly, I noticed an abundance of steam pouring from my hood, I could immediately tell it was antifreeze, I popped the hood and It had obviously been spewing from the radiator, but the motor did not seem hot, not was the gauge reading hot, so what's the deal here? What's your opinions? (All of this was right after I installed a Superchips as well)

Unread 03-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
joe989
2008 WK 

if it's coming out the rad, you have a hole in it, if it's coming out the surge bottle... you have a blow headgasket.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

More on this, please. Any coolant coming out of the overflow bottle, or just steam? And what other signs would there be?
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Sorry I'm out of town visiting family and having to do all of this off my phone, hard to keep my thoughts straight, I had driven about 30 miles and pulled off for some gas, that's when i noticed the steam. The steam was just the antifreeze on the motor burning off, it appeared it had been coming out of the radiator. My overflow was dry as a bone, but the motor didn't seem to be running hot, even when I popped the cap on the radiator. No excessive pressure, no bubbling or anything. I put some more antifreeze in the tank last night and ill check it In a little bit to see if it's leaking

Update: just checked the overflow tank and once again it's dry, but radiator is still full
Unread 03-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Jeep Brian

Was the radiator completely full, or was it alittle low? The reason I ask this is because I'm trying to figure out where the hole is in the rad. Have you tried running the engine to pin point where she's leaking from?

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Yes the radiator was full, I just drive it about another 60 miles, and I thought it had fixed itself cause their as no more steam or excess antifreeze on the motor, but when I got back it was steaming from the hose on the right of the radiator, and the overflow tank was filling up quite a bit
Unread 03-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Jeep Brian

Is it just a bad hose, or rad.?

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

I'm not sure, I will probably inspect it tomorrow when I can pull it into a garage, keeping fingers crossed though that it's nothing major
Unread 03-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
joe989
2008 WK 

If you can get one of these it will tell you where your leak is coming from

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...er/A-p8072605e

Or just go to the dealership and ask them to check it, they may or may not charge you if you go there often enough.
In the end it will be the same money since most places charge 100 dollars(if they do)

The overflow tank filling up is normal, it's when it starts pissing out that you should worry, or lots of air bubbles coming from the bottom. If you're worried about a blown head gasket they sell strip testers at parts store that you just dip in your coolant and they will colour themselves if you do, or do not have combustion gas elements in your coolant.

You may also have a clogged rad, if you, or the previous owner if there is one, has ever used stop leak in the system, or it's never been flushed with new coolant, corrosion will occur in your system and contaminants will clog the rad. Coolant never looses its antifreeze ability unless you add water, but the corrosion inhibitors will lose their effectiveness over time. Red is 5 year and Green is 2 year.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.