Possible Bad Ball Joint - Safe to drive on? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Possible Bad Ball Joint - Safe to drive on?

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

Possible Bad Ball Joint - Safe to drive on?

Well I've been getting a "wobble" over bumps from the front end for a little while now. It's also more recently been "skipping" on sharp parking lot maneuvers. Not a click like you'd hear from a cv but like the tire almost jumps an inch with a small thud. Can't predict when it will happen, and it's not rotational. Happens turning right more-so than left, and only driving forwards.

I thought I had checked the ball joints but probably not good enough. From what I've read it sounds to me like a ball joint.

First question: Is it safe to drive?
Second question: Which ball joint is it most likely? And would it be an easy enough diy or more of a mechanic job?

Edit: I know you can check them but quite frankly it's -4 wind chill right now, I'm not jacking up the Jeep.

Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
GrilledJeep
2005 WK 

Safe to drive...depends. A lower ball joint failure is more likely as they see more stress but either can happen.

I can see my upper ball joints/control arm just by looking in my wheel well above the tire. Without knowing for sure it is 100% the ball joint it could also be the sway bar, shocks.

go check the uppers real quick, and while your freezing your *** off, get on the ground and look at the lowers with a flashlight.

Then report back. Red Leader, standing by.

2011 Dodge Challenger - RT. 5.7 :)
GrilledJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

Well today was much warmer (20s) and think it's a tie rod end. Ball joints look fine but found this:

forumrunner_20120212_154451.jpg

With the tire off the ground grabbing at 3 and 9 I could get a decent amount of wriggle out of it and a small noise. They're cheap and I'm assuming fairly easy to do, so I'll start there. Looks like my lifetime alignment is going to be put to use.
Blue WK Club Member #32
Unread 02-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Outer tie rod ends take maybe 15 minutes, I just did mine the other day.. the only reason it took me longer was because I had to use a crescent wrench because for whatever reason I didn't have a big enough box end..
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

Ordered both outer tie rod ends off Rockauto.. for $60 it's an easy first guess. If that doesn't take care of it I'll just take it to a dealer for my oil change (due any day now) and a "free multi-point inspection". From what it sounds like a lower ball joint is a little more of a process to replace. This coming Saturday I'm going to head to a family friend's shop with a lift and air tools, should I just do the ball joints too? (122k on the clock, no idea what the previous owner did)

Edit: If you notice the torn boot on the tie rod end is on the passenger side... but it sounds and feels more like the drivers side is the one with the issue. However if it involves steering both wheels are connected.

First picture is just a quick shot when it was cold, should be able to see pretty well if you make the image full size (pretty good for a phone pic ey?)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This one was with the control arm dropped down, not sure if it matters. It's hard to get it stable on a jack under the arm.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Blue WK Club Member #32

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.